No "load" for pitching? Anyone heard of this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
A pitching coach is teaching no weight transfer in the pre-pitch motion. ZERO weight transfer to the non-pivot foot prior to pushing off toward the catcher. No arm swing backward. No lean back, as in men's fastpitch. Nothing.

The pitcher is basically in the sprinter position. The pitcher's non-pivot foot is behind the rubber. The pivot foot is on the rubber. She uses the "ball in glove, no backswing" method. From that position, she immediately starts the pitching motion.

She does not load the pivot leg prior to starting the pitching motion.

Oct 26, 2019
A pitching coach is teaching no weight transfer in the pre-pitch motion. ZERO weight transfer to the non-pivot foot prior to pushing off toward the catcher. No arm swing backward. No lean back, as in men's fastpitch. Nothing.

The pitcher is basically in the sprinter position. The pitcher's non-pivot foot is behind the rubber. The pivot foot is on the rubber. She uses the "ball in glove, no backswing" method. From that position, she immediately starts the pitching motion.

We faced a girl this last weekend who threw like this. FWIW, it gave the girls some trouble timing her because it wasn’t traditional and she was very quick to the plate (much like a baseball pitcher who slide steps with a runner in base).

Sep 15, 2015

My daughter pitched in a way that “looked” like what you are describing for a little more than a year and was pretty’s successful doing it. She throws a little harder having switched back to a more traditional start but it’s maybe only 2-3 mph. The reason I say “looked” is because her version of the sprinter start definitely had a back leg component. The cue to the start was still “bang, bang”—back leg pushes and then front. It just looked like the back foot wasn’t doing much (without a slow mo camera) because she started off the ball of her back foot (heel up) and just pushed from there.

Maybe what I’ve described isn’t what you are talking about, but I would be curious who this pitching coach is (since I think I know). Without naming him or her (unless you want to) maybe you could identify the region of the country and whether this person has any affiliation (past or present) with any national organizations (travel club or otherwise) or certifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 6, 2019

This is the form I'm seeing more than anything else these days

Nov 9, 2021
This is becoming fairly common. My youngest daughter pitches this way. My older prefers a more traditional approach. The thought behind it is it simplifies things. You don’t have to worry about taking the ball back to the same spot every time. The ball also stays hidden, so very hard to pick up pitches. You still have some weight transfer but no rock back motion. Leg drive is still important with this motion.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
My daughter pitched in a way that “looked” like what you are describing for a little more than a year and was pretty’s successful doing it. She throws a little harder having switched back to a more traditional start but it’s maybe only 2-3 mph. The reason I say “looked” is because her version of the sprinter start definitely had a back leg component. The cue to the start was still “bang, bang”—back leg pushes and then front. It just looked like the back foot wasn’t doing much (without a slow mo camera) because she started off the ball of her back foot (heel up) and just pushed from there.

Maybe what I’ve described isn’t what you are talking about, but I would be curious who this pitching coach is (since I think I know). Without naming him or her (unless you want to) maybe you could identify the region of the country and whether this person has any affiliation (past or present) with any national organizations (travel club or otherwise) or certifications.

This is how my daughter throws.

There is an activation movement or "load" in that she slightly squats prior to pushing off from the sprinters stance. I think this serves as a leg activation to drive forward. Definitely back leg drive followed by front leg drive. Heals up and on the balls of her feet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12