Tincher Pitching w/o a backswing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 16, 2019
I guess I misunderstood Denny's first email. Coming out of the glove is not allowed for tincher pitchers. Everything the tincher instructor I went to said about the backswing being needed for the glove block was true.

After further correspondence with Denny he wrote
"None of our Instructors is likely to go along with no backswing, but may be able to help her understand and love it. There is a lot of science behind it that few others understand. I have seen dozens of kids, even D1 kids, change it and absolutely love it. Nobody ever wanted to go back. Wish I could be near and coach her through it because I see some glove side breakdowns it creates."

I can't find any PC that supports I/R. It's so discouraging. Just went to another one tonight that saw where my daughter's hand was facing at 3 oclock and tried to teach her to turn her hand palm down at 3. Then when he saw her follow through was more palm down, He thought she was throwing the turnover drop because her wrist was internally rotated :(
This pitching coach was supposed to have coached several girls that went d1 and was $40 for 20 minutes

Jun 16, 2019
Fluid dynamics is essentially IR.
Yes, correct which is why I was happy I found it, but they do not support out of the glove delivery. My daughter does not want to change that about her pitching. She tried it for 4 lessons. Since it seems to be style choice and she is the one pitching not me, I don't want to control that.

Jan 28, 2017
Not questioning Denny Tincher but I wonder what he does if a kid is inconsistent with her backswing? Away from body or swings a little behind her back. We started out with Hillhouse tapes and then our PC promotes not bringing the ball back. DD tried a backswing once for about 10 pitches and said I hate this. Timing was all wrong and couldn't throw it close to the plate. Not planning on trying it again.

Denny knows a lot more about softball than me.

Jun 16, 2019
Yes, what I think I am getting from looking at a lot of other posts on DP, especially the post on this thread from sluggers, is that all the great Pitching coaches like Denny, Pauly, Hillhouse, Java, boardmember ect, all have or teach the same absolutes that make a recipe for success. The half of a percent difference is some may teach optionals/preferences as absolutes. Like for instance, what Sluggers said about closing after release. The absolute is that all good pitchers have their hips angled at around 45 degrees at release, the preference is that some sucessful pitchers stay open at release and some close more; Ueno closes more than tincher allows after release but is still successful. It doesn't hurt pitchers if their PC teaches preferences as absolutes as long as they are making sure to teach all the absolutes. Sluggers post really put things in perspective for me. I am thankful he replied.

Dec 21, 2012
My 2 cents for what it's worth. My 18 yo (now retired) DD has been to 3 pitching coaches in her pitching career (9-17). Bill Hillhouse was her second to last one (yes, in person instruction), Bill's reason for "no backswing" was to hide the ball from the 3rd base coach and the batter for as long as possible. As far as the leg slap, she did that too. After approximately 10 years of fastpitch coaching and being a bucket dad I have started to give beginning pitcher lessons to local pitchers. If your DD is producing enough speed/power without the backswing, live her alone, don't introduce a backswing to a pitcher that doesn't need one. The leg slap is a timing mechanism, if she can develop that will help. From what it sounds like you may need to find another instructor. The one thing I've learned coaching youth sports is no 2 players will do the same exact thing. Basically and good coach/instructor will hit the keys points of a player's motion to make sure she doesn't get injured and to help her improve. Is she pitching with pain? If so something isn't right. Is she accurate? If not something isn't right. Is she improving with this new coach, if so give her a chance...

Mar 28, 2014
Yes, what I think I am getting from looking at a lot of other posts on DP, especially the post on this thread from sluggers, is that all the great Pitching coaches like Denny, Pauly, Hillhouse, Java, boardmember ect, all have or teach the same absolutes that make a recipe for success. The half of a percent difference is some may teach optionals/preferences as absolutes. Like for instance, what Sluggers said about closing after release. The absolute is that all good pitchers have their hips angled at around 45 degrees at release, the preference is that some sucessful pitchers stay open at release and some close more; Ueno closes more than tincher allows after release but is still successful. It doesn't hurt pitchers if their PC teaches preferences as absolutes as long as they are making sure to teach all the absolutes. Sluggers post really put things in perspective for me. I am thankful he replied.
Actually Tincher teaches a 55 degree hip angle at release so 45 degrees is not an absolute.

Oct 4, 2018
when the ball hand goes behind back. This Tincher instructor requires what she calls a glove block. That is when ball swings behind back, glove should openly hit stride leg thigh. She likes to hear it, says if she can' hear it, it doesnt exist. The glove hand doesnt extent towards catcher fully but keeps slightly bent more tucked into body; supposed to be relaxed more pulled into side. This is to keep the glove hand under control.. The strange thing is in the tincher video it doesnt show the the girls slamming the glove down on the swing back but does show all the girls keeping their gloves closer to their bodies and glove does not extent towards catcher fully. However, I recieved a PM from a member that has a tincher student and she sent me a video of daughter that also slams glove to thigh on swingback. (when I say slammed into thigh, glove is open so it doesnt hurt)

I'm not sure how far along the Tincher journey you are (i.e. how many lessons you've had), but for us we did the glove slam on the pre at first, but it's much less emphasized now. Perhaps that's just a foundational piece that is used in the first many lessons.

Now we still work on the glove hand a lot. Almost more than I think is needed. However, in our lesson a few days ago when she got the glove right several other things fell in line. It was kind of eye-opening, for everyone but the PC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478