Tincher Pitching w/o a backswing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2018
when the ball hand goes behind back. This Tincher instructor requires what she calls a glove block. That is when ball swings behind back, glove should openly hit stride leg thigh. She likes to hear it, says if she can' hear it, it doesnt exist. The glove hand doesnt extent towards catcher fully but keeps slightly bent more tucked into body; supposed to be relaxed more pulled into side. This is to keep the glove hand under control.. The strange thing is in the tincher video it doesnt show the the girls slamming the glove down on the swing back but does show all the girls keeping their gloves closer to their bodies and glove does not extent towards catcher fully. However, I recieved a PM from a member that has a tincher student and she sent me a video of daughter that also slams glove to thigh on swingback. (when I say slammed into thigh, glove is open so it doesnt hurt)
Yes im with you on that. My dd sees denny. He def wants to hear the glove slam the thigh but only on back swing. Finish the glove high above hip, elbow back. I think the backswing thing may be girl to girl or instructor to instructor in how much backswing they allow, could be wrong. Denny cut my dd swing down a lot. Allowing her to go maybe 6to 8 inches back. Mainly so the shoulder does NOT engage. Your instructor may be telling you not to goi back with ball at all. It could be your daughter's shoulder engaged some. Not certain

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2015
This is Angela Tincher throwing a no-hitter against Team USA after being snubbed by Team USA:

She has a backswing every pitch, so saying Tincher is against the backswing is not accurate. (Edited to add: Misread the OP, thought the instructor was eliminating a backswing)

Backswing, as has been mentioned, is largely a style preference, though there are some that insist on it as they believe it helps develop overlap.

Jun 16, 2019
My daughter got rid of her backswing originally due to timing issues. she went from 38 mph at 10u to 42-45 mph in 6 months. (even has been hitting 47). She is slow to get off the mound with the backswing but explodes without it.

this is a quote from Rick Pauly on this site that sums it up

"Back to my earlier post......eliminating an arm backswing and simply keeping the ball hand in the glove until both reach 3 o'clock is a very effective way to achieve the desired drive timing and opening/closing timing.....not to mention it tends to help keep the upper and lower torso connected eliminating the dreaded "butt out" posture."

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
Just for reference, there are/have been several female pitchers that have succeeded at a high level without a back swing. Here are a few off the top off my head. Meghan King, Carly Hoover, Lacey Waldrop, Megan Kleist.

In fact, most of the FSU developed pitchers didn't use a back swing and that program has produced 7 All-Americans in a row. I believe the LSU pitchers did not use a back-swing this season either.

DD was at a local clinic and Coach FSU HC was at the clinic. DD threw one pitch and she turned around and asked who taught you that windup. DD was 10 and it
Just for reference, there are/have been several female pitchers that have succeeded at a high level without a back swing. Here are a few off the top off my head. Meghan King, Carly Hoover, Lacey Waldrop, Megan Kleist.

In fact, most of the FSU developed pitchers didn't use a back swing and that program has produced 7 All-Americans in a row. I believe the LSU pitchers did not use a back-swing this season either.

DD was at a local camp and Coach Lonni was there. My DD was 10 at the time and threw her first pitch. Coach Lonni spurn around and asked who her PC was. Told my DD to stick with him and she had heard of him a lot lately. DD doesn't have a swing back and will be a FSU fan from now on. LOL.

Mar 6, 2018
She wants her to have a swingback as she doesn't have one currently
Sorry misread. But i guess my point was that i believe Denny treats every girl the same in the overall approach but he may tailor certain things differently with slight variation depending on the individual. I know he doesn't teach my dd the same exact mechanics as angela had.

Mar 6, 2018
This is Angela Tincher throwing a no-hitter against Team USA after being snubbed by Team USA:

She has a backswing every pitch, so saying Tincher is against the backswing is not accurate. (Edited to add: Misread the OP, thought the instructor was eliminating a backswing)

Backswing, as has been mentioned, is largely a style preference, though there are some that insist on it as they believe it helps develop overlap.
There's are things he says do not do that Angela does here. Im not disagreeing with you at all but like ive said he treats each girl differently and he's changed a few things since 2008 im sure. Example he wants my daughter to start the glove at bellybutton and raise no higher than nose.

Jun 16, 2019
I wrote Denny and he wrote back about the backswing. He was very kind and helpful. He said that it is possible for girls to be successful without a backswing, if they have the shoulder stability and strength. He said I can send a video and he will take a look at her mechanics. You can tell he is very passionate about girls not ever getting hurt.
I can see what he means by the shoulder. I kept an eye on dd today pitching in a tournament and every once in a while her shoulder would dip a bit. Going to record her tomorrow

Sep 29, 2014
Was a thread a long time ago about this....in keeping with the Hansen principle "do as I do" I think almost every top pitcher has some backswing. Although in doing a quick search of a few videos saw a 2017 compalation and one of the few without a backswing was Jake from Univ of SC...lol

Jan 28, 2017
It seems to me that you are seeing more pitchers without a backswing. I don't think either is an absolute. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28