No "load" for pitching? Anyone heard of this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Pitching is disrupting timing. I would add it to the repertoire.

I have a pitcher that uses this as her 'quick' pitch and it is very effective, most hitters freeze when she uses it. She has her glove in the same position, most of the time she drops out into a backswing, but on occasion she just launches with no premotion give away. She leans into her push off leg a little and goes. One little tweak she has added on her own is to sometimes shake off the pitch and before she stops her head movement she goes.

I dislike the use of the sprinters stance as a model for the pitching motion. I have seen too many pitchers who have been taught sprinters stance as a take off and never get back to being stacked. Sprinters come up out of their stance over the course of several steps, pitchers have to do it in one.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
A pitching coach is teaching no weight transfer in the pre-pitch motion. ZERO weight transfer to the non-pivot foot prior to pushing off toward the catcher. No arm swing backward. No lean back, as in men's fastpitch. Nothing.

The pitcher is basically in the sprinter position. The pitcher's non-pivot foot is behind the rubber. The pivot foot is on the rubber. She uses the "ball in glove, no backswing" method. From that position, she immediately starts the pitching motion.

She does not load the pivot leg prior to starting the pitching motion.

I have seen a couple pitchers pitch like this. I didn't know this was something people taught.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I have seen too many pitchers who have been taught sprinters stance as a take off and never get back to being stacked. Sprinters come up out of their stance over the course of several steps, pitchers have to do it in one.

When you say "stacked", do you mean "in the upright position"?

Thanks

Apr 30, 2018
For those that browse Instagram, you can see several good examples of this on Danielle Rubin's @dr3pitching page, I think it has a lot of its roots in the studies / teachings of Foot Dr. Esia. (I could be wrong , wouldn't be first time). No real opinion, I think there is a big difference between visually trying to replicate something and actually understanding and implementing the finer points of a technique. Did see some good things attempting it though.

Jul 19, 2021
You and me both.
You two need to get out to some travel tournaments a little more! :) The world is changing. Stickies in the pitching forum go back to 2009. That's 13 years ago. Things change. pitching evolves.

I see it being used more and more every season. With great success I might add. It has it's place.

Apr 12, 2015
I see it being used more and more every season. With great success I might add. It has it's place.

Could be a regional thing? I've see it quite often around my area for the past few years, with some pitchers having considerable success with it. Maybe it just hasn't gotten widespread yet. I certainly don't see the style as a vulnerability.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45