No "load" for pitching? Anyone heard of this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
I see this is a lot in my area. I think it all started when the foot being allowed behind the rubber became popular. The widened stance somewhat forces them to appear bent over like a sprinter. Most still do a slight rock back by keeping their toes in contact with the dirt.

Dd tried this stance when the foot behind the rubber became allowed. She felt more off-balance with the widened “sprinter’s stance” than she does if she only has her foot a couple inches behind the rubber. She prefers to stay tall - feels she’s able to rock back a little more to get more drive when she moves forward. Probably because that’s the way she was taught from the beginning.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
For her age and development I’m happy with her posture…. Most of the time…lol

Attachments

• AD69D970-A6E1-4E49-8082-C52259F45F10.jpeg
    AD69D970-A6E1-4E49-8082-C52259F45F10.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • FAD5B2C9-E8FD-40BE-82B3-9A577F6EDFD4.jpeg
    FAD5B2C9-E8FD-40BE-82B3-9A577F6EDFD4.jpeg
    872.4 KB · Views: 38
Oct 9, 2018
Texas
For those that browse Instagram, you can see several good examples of this on Danielle Rubin's @dr3pitching page, I think it has a lot of its roots in the studies / teachings of Foot Dr. Esia. (I could be wrong , wouldn't be first time). No real opinion, I think there is a big difference between visually trying to replicate something and actually understanding and implementing the finer points of a technique. Did see some good things attempting it though.
Add https://www.paisleyspitching.com/ to this style, based on Foot Dr. Esia teachings. The purpose of this style is to engage the glutes.

Jul 19, 2021
Add https://www.paisleyspitching.com/ to this style, based on Foot Dr. Esia teachings. The purpose of this style is to engage the glutes.
And she's not the only one teaching it. It has been around a while now and the Foot Doctor has some biomechanical studies backing him up that indicate this way is far superior to the other way. He wasn't around here back in 2009-2012 posting about it so it won't get much traction on DFP. Most of the people adhering to this new style don't post on message boards anymore, they use FB and other communities to converse so that is where you will here about it more.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
When you say "stacked", do you mean "in the upright position"?

Thanks
Yup. For instance if you look at Amanda Scarborough in the Power Drive video she bends way over but when her back foot comes off the ground she is not in the 'sprinters stance'. I always find it interesting that the sprinters stance is used as a model in women's fastpitch but not in men's. The men come into launch position from the top down, the women do it from the bottom up. So I see girls who get into the sprinters position and launch out too much with the upper body and never get their hips back underneath them.

Jul 19, 2021
I always find it interesting that the sprinters stance is used as a model in women's fastpitch but not in men's. The men come into launch position from the top down, the women do it from the bottom up.
It's been explained to me that it's because physically, men are much stronger in the upper body than women are, thus women have to depend on their lower body more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23