No "load" for pitching? Anyone heard of this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
The arm supplies about 90% of the velocity of a pitch.
@Hillhouse I think I was remembering sluggers saying this as well when I quoted it in another thread. As I recall, i read it from Rick Pauly and sluggers in some of the pinned threads in the pitching forum. Probably a few others in there said the same thing, so I just ran with it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Are these video clips similar to what you were saying Ray @sluggers ? I'm trying to picture what you were writing but, I'm more of a visual guy.
Yep...the last pitches in that video is very similar to the pitcher I saw.

The differences are (1) the girl in the video uses a back swing and (2) the girl in the video "sits down" on her left leg prior to starting her forward motion.

The girl I saw seemed frozen in place. She also lacked flow, if that makes any sense.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
” Just because the initial movements are cut off doesn’t mean that the athlete isn’t creating a lot of energy.
And it also doesn't mean they are creating more energy. I don't see the kids having greater speed.

The sprinters start is about a lot more than simply pushing off. The intent is to get the runner into the correct running position by the third step.

Nov 9, 2021
The questions I have are......Why? What positives does this style provide the pitcher? What problem is this solving?

The perspective from one pitching coach was that it simplified the number of things a pitcher can mess up during their motion. A lot of the extra stuff is fine if you do it the same way every time. For young pitchers especially it is an easily repeatable starting position and you don’t really give much up in the way of power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 15, 2015
And it also doesn't mean they are creating more energy. I don't see the kids having greater speed.

The sprinters start is about a lot more than simply pushing off. The intent is to get the runner into the correct running position by the third step.

I agree on both points. As I said, this approach really did not lead to much in the way of improvement for my kid.

That said, there are A LOT of pitchers currently using the sort of “simplified” (not static) takeoff that looks similar to what you see in the videos, including possibly the consensus best pitcher in high school right now (last time I saw her).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Mikes first pitcher still has some ssc- short stretch cycle going in her left hip flexors, glutes which I think is great. I think it is obvious that the initial bounce is not the same in the second girls motion.

Jul 19, 2021
I see this style. My problem with this style is it doesn't use any momentum. Pitchers that throw this way are exerting a lot of energy on every pitch and get gassed quickly. Somebody said they look like a sprinter ready to race. So, imagine starting a race 80 or 90 times.
The idea behind it is that it puts the pitcher in the proper drive position from the start as opposed to her momentum going back and then having to get her body into the proper drive position while going forward. Often times, girls do not wait to get into proper drive position, ie... sprinter's position, to start their drive when they start by rocking or going back. Instead they will often start their drive too early, which causes a weaker drive and also makes them late in getting their stride foot down, causing sequencing/timing issues. Their arm will be at 9 o'clock on heel plant as opposed to the optimum 10 or 11 o'clock.

What little energy you lose by not using momentum going forward is usually exceeded by the energy gained via the increased efficiency by being in the proper sprinters start position when starting her drive forward.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Mikes first pitcher still has some ssc- short stretch cycle going in her left hip flexors, glutes which I think is great. I think it is obvious that the initial bounce is not the same in the second girls motion.
Age and level of development might come in to play. The 1st girl is a senior in high school and the second is 11 years old. I was just curious if this was the motion Sluggers was meaning. They both have a backswing but less than before we switched to this style.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I am trying to understand what you are saying here.

How exactly do you know that "pitchers that throw this way are exerting a lot of energy on every pitch and get gassed quickly." That was a pretty factual sentence.

Shouldn't a pitcher be getting to this sprinter style position prior to leg drive for every pitch? So you are saying that using momentum is a way to cheat the amount of effort a pitcher has to give on each pitch to create leg drive?

My daughter is 13yrs old, 5' and 90lbs soaking wet. She has been pitching like this for over a year now and her endurance and stamina are just fine.
Yes. I am not a pitching expert. I am just relaying what I see. This style lacks rhythm and free momentum. Trying to go from zero to 60 from a dead start is tiring especially for the thicker pitchers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802