POLL~ is Fastpitch a Balanced sport now?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

who has the advantage?

• Pitchers

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Batters

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • Defense

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • its balanced

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The poll saying +20% see pitchers as having the advantage...
Hmmm?
Wondering what those reasonings are???

Changes in game were on purpose to help balance out pitchers duals. The change in batting averages and base runner proved the shift in the game made an impact.
Pitchers had several changes that took away the control they once had in the game.
No crow/leap hop
Moved back
Change in ball
Batters dont have to move/attempt to get out of way of pitchers = awarded 1st base just for standing in the way.
(even turning into pitches to get first)
~took away the inside river locations.
(previously had to make attempt to move)

As mentioned now pitchers can start with a foot off rubber ...perhaps an attempt at more balance.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2015
New England
The problem isn't the ball. It's short fences and stronger players whose routine deep fly balls are homers.

The batting averages at the WCWS is still below .245 most years, and they're still striking out over 20% of the time. It's already plenty hard enough for the best hitters to square up the best pitchers. If you dull the balls, batting averages are going to drop further. I still want to see players knocking the crap out of the ball and being rewarded for hitting the ball squarely. I just don't want as may fly balls over the fence. I want to see outfielders' range matter more, and hitters' brute strength matter less.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
1. If you dull the balls, batting averages are going to drop further.
Yes batting averages were lower...with a less flight ball.
And batting averages jumped easily +.100 points with new ball even more. Actaully greater averages then mlb comparably.

I still want to see players knocking the crap out of the ball and being rewarded for hitting the ball squarely.
Thats why things were changed.
More hitting action/runners.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Where have batting averages jumped .100 points?
From when changes were made.
In another thread another poster followed up with dates of the seasons thar recorded that. And reflect batting averages changed.
IT was obvious watching from then towhen the changes implementid.
Do some gooogling.
Pre-yellow ball at 40 feet pitching.

Very low hits in a game.

Reason i bring up this conversation simply people can know a little history in our sport.

Home runs were rare at best
Compaired to how folks seem to expect them now.
Definetly Different !

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2015
New England
From when changes were made.
In another thread another poster followed up with dates of the seasons thar recorded that. And reflect batting averages changed.
IT was obvious watching from then towhen the changes implementid.
Do some gooogling.
Pre-yellow ball at 40 feet pitching.

Very low hits in a game.

Reason i bring up this conversation simply people can know a little history in our sport.

Home runs were rare at best
Compaired to how folks seem to expect them now.
Definetly Different !

OK. I wasn't disagreeing, just didn't know what you were comparing. You mean now vs. the 1980s, when pitching plate was closer, white ball and less powerful bats.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
OK. I wasn't disagreeing, just didn't know what you were comparing. You mean now vs. the 1980s, when pitching plate was closer, white ball and less powerful bats.
Exactly the history of changes made to help balance the game.
...well...more runners in action and
Took away some pitchers dual.

Oh and this
international tiebreaker was introduced to stop the ultra high inning games.

Apr 16, 2013
If change of things was needed.
Changing the ball again is easiest.
I'd love @CoreSoftball20 opinion here. They changed the ball in slowpitch just a few years ago. It's my understanding that the ball has become "mushier", but the bats easily changed to match the new ball so that it flies just the same. It's just a safer ball, because when it hits someone it's not as "devastating". Yes, they could do seem changes, but holding a fastpitch ball compared to a slowpitch... dang those seams are big! Could the skin material really make that much of a difference?

Bat or ball though, either could make a much easier change vs field dimensions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma