POLL~ does Fastpitch need more effective pitchers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

More effective pitchers

• YES

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • NO

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
Apr 14, 2022
When I think of effective pitchers; pitchers that walk 2 or fewer batters and keep the ball out of the middle of the plate. Give the team a chance. The total number that can do this maybe fine, so many teams it is spread pretty thin.
Not sure about better hitters, most struggle when a pitcher can execute. Hitters will feast on a weak #2 or 3 that falls behind then leaves it over the middle.
Lots of great players just outside the top teams really spread out.

Jun 8, 2016
Not sure about better hitters, most struggle when a pitcher can execute.
The best hitters in the world struggle when a pitcher executes. Go watch a UCLA game from the 80’s on YouTube. Outside of Fernandez (and even her swing wasn’t great) those hitters wouldn’t see the field today (if they had the same swings..which they wouldn’t)

Apr 14, 2022
Jun 8, 2016
Geez that has a lot of info in it. Including flat seam ball

Wish I could find that old thread that had so much good history of hitting statistics in fastpitch. 🤔Maybe that might have to be a new thread to compile the information again?
We believe you RAD. Changes to bats,balls and pitching distance have certainly helped to improve hitting statistics. Nobody is saying otherwise.

Apr 14, 2022
The best hitters in the world struggle when a pitcher executes. Go watch a UCLA game from the 80’s on YouTube. Outside of Fernandez (and even her swing wasn’t great) those hitters wouldn’t see the field today (if they had the same swings..which they wouldn’t)
I really was not referring to the 80’s pretty much impossible before the mound moved back.
Kind of confused since Fernandez played in the 90s. Her 92 team scored more college World Series runs per game than Oklahoma did this year.
The 96 and early 2000s Olympic team scored way more runs than the 2020 team.
That is not really where I was going in areas in travel where pitching is watered down so is hitting.

Jun 8, 2016
I really was not referring to the 80’s pretty much impossible before the mound moved back.
Kind of confused since Fernandez played in the 90s. Her 92 team scored more college World Series runs per game than Oklahoma did this year.
The 96 and early 2000s Olympic team scored way more runs than the 2020 team.
That is not really where I was going in areas in travel where pitching is watered down so is hitting.
Ok early 90’s then (yeah I got the Fernandez years wrong ..nothing to be “confused” about) Go look at the swings..if you think those would work today then I don’t know what to tell you..I don’t care how many runs they scored on Baltimore chops,bunts and soft slaps over the 3B head..the swings make my eyes bleed. The best hitters in the world are MLB hitters..the closer fastpitch swings are to MLB swings the better.

The fact they scored so many runs probably points to the fact that the game was LESS competitive back then (CA/USA dominated the softball scene). Maybe in addition to going back to the old bats,balls and pitching distance we should ban softball everywhere but CA to restore the proper order of the Universe…

With regards to TB, the top hitters have better swings now. Are there more lousy swings? Maybe but I think in general fastpitch hitters are improving.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414