POLL~ does Fastpitch need more effective pitchers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

More effective pitchers

• YES

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • NO

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
Apr 14, 2022
Ok early 90’s then (yeah I got the Fernandez years wrong ..nothing to be “confused” about) Go look at the swings..if you think those would work today then I don’t know what to tell you..I don’t care how many runs they scored on Baltimore chops,bunts and soft slaps over the 3B head..the swings make my eyes bleed. The best hitters in the world are MLB hitters..the closer fastpitch swings are to MLB swings the better.

The fact they scored so many runs probably points to the fact that the game was LESS competitive back then (CA/USA dominated the softball scene). Maybe in addition to going back to the old bats,balls and pitching distance we should ban softball everywhere but CA to restore the proper order of the Universe…

With regards to TB, the top hitters have better swings now. Are there more lousy swings? Maybe but I think in general fastpitch hitters are improving.

Was not talking about top players or teams. Pitching and hitting has improved over the years.
Top teams demonstrate both. What I see with pitching is the number of teams and parents not wanting to be a number 2-4 you often see less depth and ineffective pitching. On those same teams you see same hitting, not wanting to be a number 7 hitter and play right field on a more competitive team, but play short and hit 3rd.
So on teams where I see less than competitive pitching I also see less than competitive hitters. Not dissing on top hitters the skill level at a young age is great.
I consider the pitcher to be effective if they give their team a chance. If 30 years ago that was a 3-2 game vs a 5-4 game today.
To me it is all relative.
I do not think you can say less effective pitching is from better hitting. More from so many teams. Top level I do not see a pitching disparity from hitting and see pitchers as effective. My history is relatively brief.

Jun 8, 2016
Was not talking about top players or teams. Pitching and hitting has improved over the years.
Top teams demonstrate both. What I see with pitching is the number of teams and parents not wanting to be a number 2-4 you often see less depth and ineffective pitching. On those same teams you see same hitting, not wanting to be a number 7 hitter and play right field on a more competitive team, but play short and hit 3rd.
So on teams where I see less than competitive pitching I also see less than competitive hitters. Not dissing on top hitters the skill level at a young age is great.
I consider the pitcher to be effective if they give their team a chance. If 30 years ago that was a 3-2 game vs a 5-4 game today.
To me it is all relative.
I do not think you can say less effective pitching is from better hitting. More from so many teams. Top level I do not see a pitching disparity from hitting and see pitchers as effective. My history is relatively brief.
I lost track of what we were arguing about :) Like I said in my first post, having more good pitchers would be a great thing... :ROFLMAO:

May 13, 2023
What I see with pitching is the number of teams and parents not wanting to be a number 2-4 you often see less depth and ineffective pitching.
✔️ and ineffective pitching going to a new team to be the # 1 or 2.
( without requiring improvement to do so)

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This past year DD was a catcher and she called the pitches. One of the pitchers knew what she wanted to pitch and would call off the sign if she didn't like it. Many times that pitch she shook off went over the fence. So who knows better-pitcher of catcher? For what it's worth, she won Conference co-pitcher of the year and is a graduate transfer to a D1 program. Curious to see how she does.

May 13, 2021
At the younger ages for sure, not enough effective pitchers for the number of teams. I really think the obstacle to this is time and money. The parents have to be wiling to spend both, and the child has to be willing to spend the extra time outside of regular practice. You have to have all of these in one household for a girl to be what I would consider effective.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
I was a bit confused by this Poll.

does Fastpitch need more effective pitchers

Are we asking "Do we need more Pitchers that can pitch?" i.e. more number 2 thru 4 pitchers that pitch like number 1's
Or
Are we asking "Do current Top pitchers need to be more effective"? i.e. Number 1 pitchers are not good enough and need to get more Effective.

May 13, 2023
I was a bit confused by this Poll.
Asking
"Do we need more Pitchers that can pitch?"
➡️ Effectively

Because *effectively
is different than do we just need more pitchers.

Could look at it this way
there are teams that have three pitchers (well they call themselves pitchers) but if they're not effective are they really pitchers?

In the bigger picture don't really know if we actually need more pitchers
... but I do think we need MORE effective pitchers!

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018
Texas
✔️ and ineffective pitching going to a new team to be the # 1 or 2.
( without requiring improvement to do so)

Asking

➡️ Effectively

Because *effectively
is different than do we just need more pitchers.

Could look at it this way
there are teams that have three pitchers (well they call themselves pitchers) but if they're not effective are they really pitchers?
So effectively means? So help me out, please. I am a bit slow.
IS the poll question.
Do we need pitchers number 2 through 4 to pitch like 1's?
Do we need 1's to pitch better?
Do we need pitchers numbers 5 and 6 on a roster?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00