Slow-pitch vs fast-pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
My daughter is in the Navy and looking to join a co-ed slowpitch league on her base. She read that you have to have a bat approved for slow-pitch. But I also read you *can* use a fastpitch bat but you may not get as much from it as normal fastpitch. Should she try to buy a new bat for it? Also she sent me a screenshot of some rules and there was an odd one about if a male gets walked with a female up to bat next? So was wondering about all differences for slow vs fast (other than the pitching)? I'm not sure if those are local league rules or standard rules.
Thanks!

Jun 18, 2023
My daughter is in the Navy and looking to join a co-ed slowpitch league on her base. She read that you have to have a bat approved for slow-pitch. But I also read you *can* use a fastpitch bat but you may not get as much from it as normal fastpitch. Should she try to buy a new bat for it? Also she sent me a screenshot of some rules and there was an odd one about if a male gets walked with a female up to bat next? So was wondering about all differences for slow vs fast (other than the pitching)? I'm not sure if those are local league rules or standard rules.
Thanks!

I played briefly at an old job, the idea is not to scare women away from playing what is usually (at least with this casual Northern NJ league) a lot of team bonding type stuff. So if you "pitch around" the big strong guy to get to Karen from HR who's 4' 10" 85lbs and doesn't know how to hold the bat, the walk counts for two bases. (Maybe this is less true for the Navy compared to a software company?) Just gotta read up on the rules, like any custom/private league, I doubt they're playing with super official rules or anything.

Jan 20, 2023
I subbed, and a rule I was surprised by was every home run a batter hit past the first one was an out. So each batter could only hit one home run.

Oct 17, 2023
I subbed, and a rule I was surprised by was every home run a batter hit past the first one was an out. So each batter could only hit one home run.
Some variation of this rule is pretty common. A lot of tournaments around here are Saturday fundraisers and they limit each team to 3 HRs or you can buy extras before the game. Every one after your allotment is an out.

The "no walking men" rule is pretty standard. Some handicapping like men bat opposite hand or hit a sock ball is also common.

OP, as far as bats, yes there is a difference. She can play with her fastpitch bat and have a good time but slowpitch bats are basically rocket launchers. If she decides to get one, check and see if her league requires ASA or USSSA bats. If they don't, go with a USSSA in my opinion. For women, the dual stamps are also a solid option because midload bats are not as dramatically different between ASA and USSSA.

For women, the Miken Primo midload, Demarini Nautali midload, and the Slugger Genesis balanced seem to be the best. The Demarini Lady Cartel for all its pink branding and name just seems to swing heavy to me so I don't like it but you see them pop up in co-ed dugout.

Just my .02c

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My dd uses her college fastpitch bat. She and her best friend are the two girls in this area who can hit bombs in slow pitch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619