POLL~ does Fastpitch need more effective pitchers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

More effective pitchers

• YES

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • NO

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
Feb 15, 2017
How much of the bad pitching is due to bad pitch calling and or better knowledge of the pitcher and what she throws when?

Case in point. OU. Their offense can beat the snot out of everyone. Just better hitters or better coaching? I remember when @riseball posted about how SC changed hitting coaches, and they hit more bombs. Scored more runs but lost low scoring games from no small ball. It seems like the teams thar gave them trouble worked the ball up and down and kept to that game plan.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
How much of the bad pitching is due to bad pitch calling and or better knowledge of the pitcher and what she throws when?

Case in point. OU. Their offense can beat the snot out of everyone. Just better hitters or better coaching? I remember when @riseball posted about how SC changed hitting coaches, and they hit more bombs. Scored more runs but lost low scoring games from no small ball. It seems like the teams thar gave them trouble worked the ball up and down and kept to that game plan.

The Gassos didn’t help DJ Sanders much last year 🤷🏽‍♂️

May 13, 2023

I do think better pitch calling can help a defense. However have to be an effective pitcher to follow through with what is being called.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Tracking pitches and pitch calling is very important. I have seen good pitchers hurt by poor pitch calling and mediocre pitchers excel because of good pitch calling and execution.
Yes there absolutely needs to be more pitchers. There are many good teams that are one pitcher away from folding. Seems like every team is looking for a number 1. And the elite teams have 5 pitchers.

Feb 15, 2017
Tracking pitches and pitch calling is very important. I have seen good pitchers hurt by poor pitch calling and mediocre pitchers excel because of good pitch calling and execution.
Yes there absolutely needs to be more pitchers. There are many good teams that are one pitcher away from folding. Seems like every team is looking for a number 1. And the elite teams have 5 pitchers.
How much of it though is the hitting is getting better than the pitching?

May 13, 2023
How much of it though is the hitting is getting better than the pitching?

How much of hitting
got better because of equipment?
That was discussed in an older thread.
( think it was like a year ago)
clearly the records show a massive jump in batting averages when changes were made to the game. Easily +.100
300 hitters jumped to 400,

Feb 15, 2017
How much of hitting
clearly the records show a massive jump in batting averages when changes were made to the game. Easily +.100
So maybe the pitchers aren't really worse then? And how much better can you raise the bar? More teams, more pitchers, more batters that were marginal now hitting better.

May 13, 2023
So maybe the pitchers aren't really worse then? And how much better can you raise the bar? More teams, more pitchers, more batters that were marginal now hitting better.

It was common that pitchers used to dominate the game. Lower batting averages and much less base runners, very few home runs if any.

I don't think changes in current pitching rule is about raising the bar in the game as much as it is evening out offense and pitchers/defense a little bit better.
Making games more competitive because they aren't out of balance with giant run-ruled games being a common percentage of what is played.

Just my opinion having seen what changes did to the game in the past.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
How much of hitting
The swing’s of todays hitters are much better than most of those from the 80’s.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles