No Softball in Illinois this Summer?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2012
Apparently the governor has made the decision to cancel all summer sports and is considering canceling fall sports as well if there is not a vaccine available.

Prarie State Wire

Personally I think it is overkill too early. Thoughts from folks in Illinois?
Hoping the “until May 30” means there’s hope after June 1. The “article” I read from a questionable source had a misleading headline.

Feb 15, 2017
Apparently the governor has made the decision to cancel all summer sports and is considering canceling fall sports as well if there is not a vaccine available.

Prarie State Wire

Non softball thoughts: Not a fan. Word is the longer he has us shut down the more federal money we can get and he is using that try to balance a budget. Regardless he is killing his party and crippling our economy. Law enforcement is turning a blind eye all over....the people will eventually decide on their own.

Softball thoughts: 100% of our schedule will be out of state now. Problem I see is not being able to have team practice. Will that affect our ability to compete? We will see I guess. Back to non softball thoughts— how much money will leave the Illinois economy as a result. (Softball and other non softball related activities). Back to softball thoughts: seems to be a growing discussion around possibly no school in the fall...and more momentum for no fall sports. If that happens early enough we will declare primary residence at my (now secondary) home in Tennessee. Life has to go on....people have been warned and know the risks, now let them decide for themselves.

Dec 11, 2010

So we are currently in phase 2.

Probably be Phase 3 on June 1.
Gatherings: All gatherings of 10 people or fewer are allowed with this limit subject to change based on latest data & guidance
Travel: Travel should follow IDPH and CDC approved guidance
Health Care: All health care providers are open with DPH approved safety guidance
Education and child care: Remote learning in P-12 schools and higher education; Limited child care and summer programs open with IDPH approved safety guidance
Outdoor recreation: State parks open; Activities permitted in groups of 10 or fewer with social distancing

Phase 4.... July? August? How do you read this?
Gatherings: Gatherings of 50 people or fewer are allowed with this limit subject to change based on latest data and guidance
Travel: Travel should follow IDPH and CDC approved guidance Health care: All health care providers are open
Education and child care: P-12 schools, higher education, all summer programs, and child care open with IDPH approved safety guidance
Outdoor Recreation: All outdoor recreation allowed

I do not see anything that looks like good news here even if softball is outdoor recreation.

I do not see anything that looks like good news here even if softball is outdoor recreation.

The way I read Phase IV, you could get games in, practices would be allowed, scrimmages, etc, etc but all of it would be under potential venue restrictions on the total number of people allowed into the park at a particular time. The real questions becomes is it "50 people per field" (IE 4 fields = 200 people max in the park) or "50 people per park"? Each locale and State will be different I imagine...

I just got off the phone with one city where we had a late May event scheduled. They were going to "allow" us to continue with the event but we were going to have to jump some serious hoops on venue capacities, no concessions available, no park staff available, no bathrooms open so port-a-pots and portable handwashing stations have to be rented, strict "one in one out access control", no tents or other areas that encouraged "gathering", check everyone's temperature that enters the park, require statements of health / waivers to be signed, etc.

Needless to say, the event has been postponed and more than likely to be canceled for the year. Just too many hoops to jump through for it to be worthwhile for the teams registered and too many added expenses and liabilities for a tournament organizer to take on. Not to mention, the hassle the parents would have experienced.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

Prarie State Wire

I listened to the entire press conference yesterday, and I don't recall him saying youth sports are canceled for the summer.

From what the governor said yesterday, I would not be surprised if we don't have any youth sports this summer. He also didn't actually say they're canceled.

I also can't find a single article other than from Prairie State Wire, which is a bit... let's say dubious. There's a clear agenda just from looking at their page. Their misleading headline betrays their bias.

May 29, 2015
A) Law enforcement is turning a blind eye all over....the people will eventually decide on their own.

B) Softball thoughts: 100% of our schedule will be out of state now.

C) Back to softball thoughts: seems to be a growing discussion around possibly no school in the fall...and more momentum for no fall sports.

D) Life has to go on....people have been warned and know the risks, now let them decide for themselves.

Trying hard to refrain from the non-softball parts of this even though they are heavily intermingled ...

A) This is critical problem #1. No enforcement = no compliance = no accountability = no regard for others = outbreak.

B) This is critical problem #2. Illinois still has not peaked. We posted our highest one-day death total once again. As Illinoisans, we are statistically more likely to be carriers/infected. Yet, we are going to go traipsing across the border to mass gatherings. Nationally the numbers appear to be going down because of New York. Outside of New York though, our national numbers are still accelerating.

C) I know schools here are hoping to be back in the fall, but are making plans for online learning to continue. This includes K-12 and colleges. I believe this is being directed by ISBE (not the colleges part).

D) I am moving more towards this thought pattern, but here is the problem: you are not making a decision that only impacts you.

Not that it matters, but I would like to see harsh penalties and severe enforcement (for both businesses and individuals) if we are opening things up. Right now, we have no enforcement and it is obviously not working. Just like not calling obstruction or illegal pitches ... who cares if there is no penalty?

We also have politicians pushing for no liability for businesses ... this is a recipe for disaster.

Freedom comes with responsibility to others. The libertarian (not the political party) in me wants people to be able to make decisions and get about their lives. The pragmatist in me says people have shown they can’t make good decisions to protect their fellow human beings. The answer? Responsible freedom with repercussions.

My suggestion:

Businesses (yes, that means tournament sites too!) ... failed to provide conditions set forth in the public health guidelines? Failed to enforce them for your clientele? Severe fines and/or punitive shutdowns.

Individuals who fail to comply ... fines and home confinement.

What we have done so far has not been “draconian”. But when “encouraged” doesn’t work ...

Last edited:
There's a clear agenda just from looking at their page. Their misleading headline betrays their bias.

My bad on that had the article forwarded to me and looking at it now, it doesn't look like the best source. I cannot find another article that says "he canceled" it. I will do better before posting next time. Also, just FYI, I do not have a dog in the hunt in Illinois in any shape or manner.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Pritzker is trying to address the softball problem in Chicago, and it isn't girls fastpitch softball.

Softball was invented in Chicago, and adult slowpitch softball is still insanely popular in the *city* of Chicago (not just the burbs...*in the city*).

The whole "Chicago Summer Softball Scene" is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Play softball, hang out with your friends, go to a bar, and watch the Cubbies play on TV...it is just this side of heaven. The summer weather in the *city* of Chicago is almost perfect, and the people are funny. Few people drive, so people tend to imbibe.

There are softball fields all over the place...Grant Park in the center of Chicago has something like 8 softball fields. Games start at 6PM and are played until 10PM. The games are scheduled one after the other. When the games are over, the players go out for some beer and food at a local bar. It is ridiculously fun.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
My bad on that had the article forwarded to me and looking at it now, it doesn't look like the best source. I cannot find another article that says "he canceled" it. I will do better before posting next time. Also, just FYI, I do not have a dog in the hunt in Illinois in any shape or manner.

Wasn't trying to suggest you had any agenda. Sorry if it came off that way. My comment really was just about the source/information itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00