Out of the blocks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2019
A while back there was some discussion regarding the significance of catcher’s pop time being strongly affected by the transfer time from glove to hand.

In that same vein, it seems that a batter/runner’s time from home to first would likely be strongly affected by just getting out of the box and getting rolling (unhitching the wagon, so to speak), especially in a bunt situation where there isn’t as much momentum to get you started. (No data to back up this theory, just presuming.)

Does anyone have any specific drills to improve start time out of the blocks, or do most just leave it to BP and “she’s running on the next one”? We practice starts off the bag for stealing all the time, but I can’t think of anything we’ve ever done for starts from home.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A while back there was some discussion regarding the significance of catcher’s pop time being strongly affected by the transfer time from glove to hand.

In that same vein, it seems that a batter/runner’s time from home to first would likely be strongly affected by just getting out of the box and getting rolling (unhitching the wagon, so to speak), especially in a bunt situation where there isn’t as much momentum to get you started. (No data to back up this theory, just presuming.)

Does anyone have any specific drills to improve start time out of the blocks, or do most just leave it to BP and “she’s running on the next one”? We practice starts off the bag for stealing all the time, but I can’t think of anything we’ve ever done for starts from home.
A basic observational feedback.🙂
So much of hitting is trained just staying standing in the Box.
Swing. Next pitch swing again. Repeat.
Getting out of the box is not incorporated as much as it could be.
(Detail work!)
Obviously Lefty slap/hitters work on it,
Regular hitters from a swing can as well!

My basic suggestion is to include hitting with getting out of the box at practices.

One pitch at a time~
One Batter/Runner after another.
Reproducing the importance of being efficient/explosive out of the box.
* Pay attention to proper swings cuz that's still important!

Pitch-Hit-Go!

This can also be good if you put runners on base and they can do a reaction to the batter seeing the hit and taking off to the next base.
( Batter may miss hitting the ball on their swing, the runners should react accordingly, by taking a lead off and have to go back to the base instead of just a straight run)

* Using a stopwatch and recording numbers can help set goals!
* Start stopwatch at moment of contact!
* Can help encourage a sense of urgency!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Slappers aside, I don't want the hitter to be worried or thinking about getting out of the box. I want their focus on driving the ball into a gap. I have seen coaches work on getting out of the box and it leads to poor, shortened and unfinished swings. Drive the ball for extra base hits.

Aug 5, 2022
Slappers aside, I don't want the hitter to be worried or thinking about getting out of the box. I want their focus on driving the ball into a gap. I have seen coaches work on getting out of the box and it leads to poor, shortened and unfinished swings. Drive the ball for extra base hits.

This! My daughter is really fast…should have turned her left fast but that’s another story lol and for the longest time at the younger levels she would basically stop her swing at contact because she just wanted to start running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 8, 2019
Pitch-Hit-Go!

This was an initial thought, but seems largely inefficient To run the entire team through this way. And if they only got one pitch each, I’m thinking there would be a lot of running on misses and foul balls, especially with me pitching!

Jan 8, 2019
I agree, which is why I was wondering about something more specifically targeting the movements after contact. Sprint starts would help, but post-swing starts come from a completely different body position.

Also, I’m thinking even more in terms of getting out of the box after a bunt (righties, non slappersj. I see many girls camped in the box so long after bunt contact there should be tents involved.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Good right handed bunters can get their weight over their left leg at contact and get out of the box pretty quick. I still like the step over bunt for righties too. Start near the back of the box, step over and your off.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This was an initial thought, but seems largely inefficient To run the entire team through this way. And if they only got one pitch each, I’m thinking there would be a lot of running on misses and foul balls, especially with me pitching!
It actually can be efficient. Don't even need a whole field to do it.
Think about setting up say 3 or 4 different hitting stations into a bow net with a first base aligned 60' away.
* time 60' if you like.
* or don't even run the full 60 ft.

By the way to those reading I absolutely believe that my ability to quickly get out of the box help me be an offensive threat. Even while I batted from the right side could break 3.0 to first base.
I am not a gazelle, rather a quick reaction player.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
It actually can be efficient. Don't even need a whole field to do it.
Think about setting up say 3 or 4 different hitting stations into a bow net with a first base aligned 60' away.
* time 60' if you like.
* or don't even run the full 60 ft.

By the way to those reading I absolutely believe that my ability to quickly get out of the box help me be an offensive threat. Even while I batted from the right side could break 3.0 to first base.
I am not a gazelle, rather a quick reaction player.
I am not a gazelle, just faster than greased lightening. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802