Lock it in drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
Ok Sky but I don't know what "words matter" means. You just reiterated everything I attributed to you in this discussion. And what I've said the entire time is NO HIGH LEVEL COACH advocates turning the ball outward ON THE WAY UP THE CIRCLE like your boy Larry says to do. Including at the nose level.

I asked you to name one, and you still haven't. I say the move you're advocate for (above) is garbage. That's all.

Words do matter.

Page 13 - You said - Actually Sky claimed that turning the ball outward toward 3rd around nose level on the way up the front the circle was something MANY MANY high level pitchers and pitching coaches do to "unlock the elbow"

Page 3 - I said "Notice how soon the fingers and ball are pointed to the 3rd base line (keeps the elbow unlocked)”
Page 8 - I said "They usually call it keep the ball on the outside.. It usually turns about nose level.”
Page 10 - I said "And yes there are excellent instructors that teach turning the ball to the outside of the circle early."

Maybe I should have said in the beginning was “a slight turn of the throwing hand to the baseline to get the ball outside the circle may help to keep your elbow unlocked at 9 oclock”.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Ok Sky but I don't know what "words matter" means. You just reiterated everything I attributed to you in this discussion. And what I've said the entire time is NO HIGH LEVEL COACH advocates turning the ball outward ON THE WAY UP THE CIRCLE like your boy Larry says to do. Including at the nose level.

I asked you to name one, and you still haven't. I say the move you're advocate for (above) is garbage. That's all.
Appears to be a method used by pitchers in Japan. Watch closely with them at 3:45. They now have a young lady, Misaki Katsumata, who is very tough between the ears at age 20.

– How to throw like Yukiko Ueno

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
I will advocate turning the hand out (ball to 3rd) if the pitcher has bullet spin caused by the palm and wrist curled.... then at the release, there is no snap, only a turn of the wrist creating bullet spin. I find that having them exaggerate the wrist outward helps them to uncurl the wrist for a natural release and straight rotation. IF someone has their wrist curled at the top (12:00 position) but uncurls it on the downswing (getting straight rotation) then there's no issue.
Truly enjoyed this session you had (y)

- hillhouse hitting lesson

Jul 14, 2008
Appears to be a method used by pitchers in Japan. Watch closely with them at 3:45. They now have a young lady, Misaki Katsumata, who is very tough between the ears at age 20.

– How to throw like Yukiko Ueno

I’d say that Ueno has NO CHOICE but to rotate the ball because of the way she starts up the circle. She actually pushes the ball up the circle which is going to require over 180 degrees of rotation in order to even continue around the circle.

Ueno ball rotation .gif

Likely because of the way she was taught to push the ball up the circle at a young age, not because someone taught her to turn the ball out. In other words SHE HAS NO CHOICE IMO. And here’s why. If your going to teach push the ball up the circle, the student will have NO CHOICE but to rotate the crap outta the ball to get it over the top. This is borderline dangerous to a young shoulder complex IMO.

Push up the circle.gif

If this is what you’re advocating then I completely disagree and we can just leave it at that.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
I’d say that Ueno has NO CHOICE but to rotate the ball because of the way she starts up the circle. She actually pushes the ball up the circle which is going to require over 180 degrees of rotation in order to even continue around the circle.

View attachment 17209

Likely because of the way she was taught to push the ball up the circle at a young age, not because someone taught her to turn the ball out. In other words SHE HAS NO CHOICE IMO. And here’s why. If your going to teach push the ball up the circle, the student will have NO CHOICE but to rotate the crap outta the ball to get it over the top. This is borderline dangerous to a young shoulder complex IMO.

View attachment 17208

If this is what you’re advocating then I completely disagree and we can just leave it at that.
Thanks for your opinion. Much appreciated. I am a student not an advocate.

Aug 24, 2018
Trying to get my DD to "go under the table" was a bit like pulling teeth, but hopefully this mostly looks better today. Please let me know. Thanks.

www.flickr.com/photos/43444487@N00/49754978042/in/album-72157713822311021/
Hey Swamp.

My daughter looked very similar when she started. Not an expert, but I would suggest loosening the finish. The locked elbow is for the backswing. Let her arm come through loose on the follow through with the momentum taking the elbow off the hip. Looking back at my DDs early videos, she did the same thing. It took us months to get the arm to loosen up on the follow through after she started really pitching.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Coming along nicely you two. Getting some rhythm . Getting better on the core stabilization.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101