Lock it in drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Okay we took 10 days off (no pitching or looking at this thread), ditched the lock-it in drill, and restarted 10 days ago trying to do the Tincher-inspired progression drills that the little girl does on Youtube.

Here is what we did today (half of it in the rain).
Each video is a different drill.
Hopefully this is the right track.

www.flickr.com/photos/43444487@N00/albums/72157714096614227/with/49835246031/
This comment won't be of any value, but in the last video when she said 'run Forest run', haha, i about busted a gut.:)

Jul 14, 2008
Step 2 in my IR classroom is the 9:00 drill or (Unlock it). That's exactly what your 1st drill video mimics, so good for you guys for not giving up on the progression. I'm gonna say that the lock it in drill helped to teach her to "throw the ball underhand" with a semblance of IR, by isolating her upper arm and forearm whether it was perfect or not.

I'm of the opinion that skipping straight to full circle drills from 9:00 drills is putting the cart before the horse. I'd rather see her work more from the top with the Liberty Drill (or 12:00 drill) first so she learns how to keep the ball in the correct position with her elbow bent down the back as she come from the top, and also learns where to release the ball when her arm is traveling much further then 9:00.

LibertySide.gif

As noticed in the full circle drill clip, she losses awareness of where and when to release the ball because of the distance her arm travels. Hence you chased twice as many balls as in the 9:00 drills. I'd say when you don't have to chase from 9:00, then 12:00, it's time to go full circle. Shouldn't take long with the 12:00 drills.

This is just my rookie opinion. FYI, Tincher was another convert after reading here. He adjusted his teaching to include I/R isolation drills. He has evolved his methods nicely, as have the Schonbergs.

Okay we took 10 days off (no pitching or looking at this thread), ditched the lock-it in drill, and restarted 10 days ago trying to do the Tincher-inspired progression drills that the little girl does on Youtube.

Here is what we did today (half of it in the rain).
Each video is a different drill.
Hopefully this is the right track.

www.flickr.com/photos/43444487@N00/albums/72157714096614227/with/49835246031/

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Threw a few circle drill throws at the end yesterday and created a few stills from the video. Is pic 5 the brush you're looking for?

View attachment 17408View attachment 17414View attachment 17415View attachment 17421View attachment 17422View attachment 17423
I am so impressed. Way to go you two. Attached are a couple of videos for the back foot for you.

https://youtu.be/ex8H0gM3OA4 - Day 9: Toe Drag

https://youtu.be/aODMhqLOyhY - Day 10: Push & Drag with Hip Turn

Nov 8, 2018
Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
FYI, Tincher was another convert after reading here. He adjusted his teaching to include I/R isolation drills. He has evolved his methods nicely, as have the Schonbergs.
[/QUOTE]

I am starting to realize how many pitching coaches are starting or have read this forum. I am grateful for the information and the majority of the people that post here!!

Feb 20, 2012
Sky, I understand that's what you see. As I said before he is doing drills in all of these clips. I have yet to see his actual pitching motion full on. I'm also trying to tell you that the ball facing out is a result of the body turning that direction and some shoulder relief, and NOT a purposeful action that turns the ball outward on the way up the circle such as he shows in his "drills". Please watch the super slo-mo of the REAL PITCHING CLIP of Ueno. The ball is MOCKING the direction of her shoulders. Ueno starts with the ball facing INWARD. She MUST turn the ball from inward to forward which is the rotation you see early on. But, she is NOT purposely turning the ball outward beginning at the nose IMO.

You mentioned Eddie Feigner. Eddie starts up the circle just like Ueno with the ball facing in. When this happens, since the ball cannot possibly run over the top of the circle facing in (because the shoulder won't allow it) the ball will rotate forward to take pressure off the shoulder over the top and allow the arm to continue in a circle. But there's no way EITHER ONE of these pitchers are DOING THIS ON PURPOSE. See the difference here please:

View attachment 17117View attachment 17118

I won't try any longer to convince you. I like your passion for the pitching motion. Just please don't teach anyone to do this ON PURPOSE.

Here, I have a clip I'll post of Eddie that will prove that in his natural motion the ball faces inward THEN FORWARD over the top. In this clip the ball is over the back of his head and he's still not facing the ball out. Freeze at the end and you'll see the truth.

Quote Board Member please don't try to convince me of anything. U have a picture of Eddie Feigner who taught me how to pitch and my motion is very close to his. I still have all the material he personally sent me with his signature two years before he passed Away. I teach his way of doing the rise ball as it is the best.

Jul 14, 2008
Ok great old guy, let’s make a deal. I’ll never try to teach an 80+ year old man to pitch (something I’ve never done anyway), and you stop posting how awesome you are in this thread (something you seem to do a lot on this board).

Here’s some food for thought. Who do you think was a more accomplished pitcher in his day, Eddie Feigner or Rich Balswick?

Here’s a clue to my trick question above. Who has a better basketball team, the Golden State Warriors or the Harlem Globetrotters.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Ok great old guy, let’s make a deal. I’ll never try to teach an 80+ year old man to pitch (something I’ve never done anyway), and you stop posting how awesome you are in this thread (something you seem to do a lot on this board).

Here’s some food for thought. Who do you think was a more accomplished pitcher in his day, Eddie Feigner or Rich Balswick?

Here’s a clue to my trick question above. Who has a better basketball team, the Golden State Warriors or the Harlem Globetrotters.
Just so the young people don't get confused.

Don’t know how long a day is but…

Feigner’s 4-man team (The King and His Court) entertained around the world from 1946 to 2000. A lot for charities.

Balswick was a National Open Division MVP award winner; a 3 time All-American; participated in 3 Olympic sports festivals, and was a member on 3 National Championship teams some 30 years ago.

Although the games they played were nothing alike, both were simply awesome.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
Yes Sky the globetrotters were awesome as well. But here’s here’s my point. Old guy loves to tell us how Feigner taught him to pitch which makes him a great coach in his opinion.

Who do you think helped hone my pitching skills some 40 years ago when I was an 20yo lad. Hint: it wasn’t the globetrotters.

Get my point? The name dropping and bragging is getting as old as he is.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802