Not sure where to go from here...HELP!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2021
I have No idea about the “princess hand” technique lol, but I do have an 11 minute side by side video analysis from Jillian from fastpitch power I’d be happy to share through email to anyone who’d be interested in seeing it!
The princess hand refers to how the hand should finish after release and implies IR/forearm fire. Other names I have heard are Kiss the ring, and Drop the mic. Whatever the name the idea is to release the ball low and early and follow through with the rotation of the forearm by finishing open handed, palm facing down.

Apr 11, 2016
DD's complained about her shoulder hurting a year ago (when she was 12U). She was basically the only pitcher her team had unless they got a guest pitcher to play a tournament. That weekend, she pitched almost 300 pitches.

Took her to PT who specialized in shoulder injuries. She said DD had a weak grip on her right hand, so taught her band exercises to strengthen muscles around her shoulders. At the same time, DD was off all sports for a month, no softball, basketball, and tennis. Thankfully, it was between seasons, so by the fall, she was able to pitch again. I told her coach she could only pitch 100 pitches a day, 200 pitches max per week, by the order of the PT.

Another sports PT recommended not letting DD do curve and screw balls until she was 14. DD's previous IR coach taught the curveball and screwball in a way that would cause shoulder injuries b/c of the way the fingers were curved at release. When we moved to our new town, her new pitching coach taught DD curve and screw balls that were similar to a fastball, so no muscle constrains and still effective.

My friend, who is an RN, recommended using this muscle simulator: Amazon product ASIN B00SVPNZXU.

(It works wonders. I have a shoulder injury from catching for DD in a lane that had a low net. Throwing the ball back sideways for several years damaged my shoulder. If I do any weight training, my shoulder would hurt, and using this OMRAN alleviates the pain.)

By the way, don't let anyone tell you that a girl can pitch unlimited pitches. I had a woman who came up to me and said, "Back in the days when we played high school, we could pitch forever, you should let your DD pitch as much as she wants." I looked at her and thought, "I guess you are an expert compared to these PT's who have a medical degree." Plus, back-in-her-days was about 30 years ago, and I was told softball pitching then was not like softball pitching now. I smiled and found an excuse to walk away. If you talk to high-level coaches, they'd tell you they limit # of pitches, and that's why they have 4 pitchers, not just one, on their team.

Remember, your DD is only 12. The most important thing is to avoid injury. Let her rest whenever she feels pain.

Jul 24, 2021
DD's complained about her shoulder hurting a year ago (when she was 12U). She was basically the only pitcher her team had unless they got a guest pitcher to play a tournament. That weekend, she pitched almost 300 pitches.

Took her to PT who specialized in shoulder injuries. She said DD had a weak grip on her right hand, so taught her band exercises to strengthen muscles around her shoulders. At the same time, DD was off all sports for a month, no softball, basketball, and tennis. Thankfully, it was between seasons, so by the fall, she was able to pitch again. I told her coach she could only pitch 100 pitches a day, 200 pitches max per week, by the order of the PT.

Another sports PT recommended not letting DD do curve and screw balls until she was 14. DD's previous IR coach taught the curveball and screwball in a way that would cause shoulder injuries b/c of the way the fingers were curved at release. When we moved to our new town, her new pitching coach taught DD curve and screw balls that were similar to a fastball, so no muscle constrains and still effective.

My friend, who is an RN, recommended using this muscle simulator: Amazon product ASIN B00SVPNZXU.

(It works wonders. I have a shoulder injury from catching for DD in a lane that had a low net. Throwing the ball back sideways for several years damaged my shoulder. If I do any weight training, my shoulder would hurt, and using this OMRAN alleviates the pain.)

By the way, don't let anyone tell you that a girl can pitch unlimited pitches. I had a woman who came up to me and said, "Back in the days when we played high school, we could pitch forever, you should let your DD pitch as much as she wants." I looked at her and thought, "I guess you are an expert compared to these PT's who have a medical degree." Plus, back-in-her-days was about 30 years ago, and I was told softball pitching then was not like softball pitching now. I smiled and found an excuse to walk away. If you talk to high-level coaches, they'd tell you they limit # of pitches, and that's why they have 4 pitchers, not just one, on their team.

Remember, your DD is only 12. The most important thing is to avoid injury. Let her rest whenever she feels pain.
Thank you so much for posting! We had an MRI & it’s just tendonitis no tears thank God! PT a few more weeks, strengthening exercises & we also will implement more rest & im going to set a number to pitches as well! We also are switching pitching coaches. Thanks again.

Mar 9, 2018
My son had the exact same situation....turned out it was an impingement and his throwing arm rotator cuff was weaker than his non throwing shoulder. Found a PT that was a PT for a mlb the past few seasons and within 4 weeks had him on a throwing program with no more pain...a big key is while youre doing the pt , rest the shoulder, ie no sports for that 4-6 week period..I can email you some of the excercises hes demonstrated if youd like

Jul 24, 2021
My son had the exact same situation....turned out it was an impingement and his throwing arm rotator cuff was weaker than his non throwing shoulder. Found a PT that was a PT for a mlb the past few seasons and within 4 weeks had him on a throwing program with no more pain...a big key is while youre doing the pt , rest the shoulder, ie no sports for that 4-6 week period..I can email you some of the excercises hes demonstrated if youd like
Oh my gosh yes! That would be great. Thank you so much buenoslittlebulldogs@hotmail.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13