Leap into 2022, USA rules change for pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
So then I’m even more confused. If leaping is the result of bad mechanics (and bad mechanics can lead to injury), and if there is no proven advantage to it - why are the rules being changed to allow it? Why are some pitching coaches, parents, TB coaches, etc, not discouraging it and teaching the proper mechanics that will ultimately lead to the best outcomes? Why are they leaving these “leapers” alone, and why are we creating a rule to encourage it?

May 17, 2012
So then I’m even more confused. If leaping is the result of bad mechanics (and bad mechanics can lead to injury), and if there is no proven advantage to it - why are the rules being changed to allow it? Why are some pitching coaches, parents, TB coaches, etc, not discouraging it and teaching the proper mechanics that will ultimately lead to the best outcomes? Why are they leaving these “leapers” alone, and why are we creating a rule to encourage it?

It's definitely not bad mechanics and it's definitely not a significant advantage.

It's a dumb rule that is impossible to consistently enforce. We need more pitchers in this game if you want it to keep growing (or even sustain itself). Better pitching at the early ages leads to better hitters and a better sport overall.

May 27, 2013
I have doubts about whether leaping will be a big benefit. It should allow a pitcher to get a little closer to the plate but there will be more wear and tear on the legs, particularly the front/landing one. One thing for sure, it will help 'athletic' pitchers more.
…..causes more wear and tear (therefore flaw) = injury. Advantage if athletic.

Me personally I think it’s about time!!! Levels the playing field if they’re going to use hot bats and hard balls well then the pitcher should have some advantage…
Agrees it creates an advantage.

The way most girls “leap” now unintentionally, in all honesty there is absolutely no advantage. I have tried to explain that to so many people but it falls on deaf ears…. As a coach of a travel squad when I see a girl doing that I shrug my shoulders and let her continue doing it because also as a pitching instructor I know she is mechanically flawed.

Now hear me out there is a right way to leap in order to gain power like you see in Men’s Fastpitch. However when a female pitcher is unintentionally leaping she just does not understand how to get her hips back under her body to get back side-drive Instead she jumps forward thinking she is using her legs and very seldom does. All she’s doing is gaining ground and not necessarily a pitching advantage…. (For the record Barnhill was an exception to that rule)
…..mechanically flawed and now has no advantage.

But no its a bad way to gain ground it gives the pitcher the illusion they are being "explosive" when in reality most are using only one half of there body by turning sideways jumping out with the stride leg and not driving the backside into the pitch, resulting in lost MPH. I'll give you an example I had a girl sometime ago she is in college now. Came to me with a "leaping" problem being called a lot for it during games. She was striding out between 68 to 72 inches throwing mid 50's on occasion reaching 60 when the wind was at her back. Worked a lot on her understanding how to use both arms to propel herself forward, in turn her hips started getting back underneath her body. Foot started dragging toe down not side anchoring, stride distance was now 74 -77 inches and she topped off at 63 but pitched 60-61 consistently......
….not using backside correctly, hips not underneath body = mechanical flaw.

GunnerShotgun,

Can you see why I’m confused? Both posters above I believe are pitching instructors.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
It's definitely not bad mechanics and it's definitely not a significant advantage.

It's a dumb rule that is impossible to consistently enforce. We need more pitchers in this game if you want it to keep growing (or even sustain itself). Better pitching at the early ages leads to better hitters and a better sport overall.

…..and better pitching would be those pitchers who have the proper mechanics which include a drag, correct - or are you saying that better pitching can occur if the pitcher leaps?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hopefully people can recognize when doing something intentionally with purpose is different than unintentionally doing something and inadvertently be sloppy.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Simply by looking at the technical hitting forum can see the bantering back and forth of do this not that.
Lol they can't even decide which leg is more important... 😁

That is just a very similar example of what happens with pitching discussions. Regardless of Leaping or anything.
If everybody could agree on one set of pitching mechanics. Well then this discussion would be irrelevant wouldn't it.😎🥳

What works for one doesn't always work for another.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am good with rule change and if I could write the pitching rules.

1 foot needs to start on plate
2 must be thrown underhand
3 no replant, annoys me the most
4 no double circles

Leap all you want, step back, I do not care.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I am good with rule change and if I could write the pitching rules.

1 foot needs to start on plate
2 must be thrown underhand
3 no replant, annoys me the most
4 no double circles

Leap all you want, step back, I do not care.
Simple!

What do you think about the staying in the pitchers Lane with the lines extending from the pitching rubber on each side?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
That is kind of funny now you have me thinking about it.

DD could leap far right and throw the ball. Not sure that is fair.

Ok, I will add 5 pitching lane.

Jun 9, 2021
The leaping rule wasn't enforced at the NCAA level, if you aren't enforcing it at the largest stage why are you enforcing it with 10 to 12 year olds?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi