September 1 for Class of 2022

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2014
I am curious about the Ivy League schools since my DD's dream school is one. She is a 2023 pitcher who wants to use softball as her way of getting into an academically elite school. Does anyone know if the needs-based grants are even a little bit more generous for athletes? My son is attending law school at an Ivy, and he received zero needs-based funding, so should I expect none for my daughter, even if she is recruited? Thanks in advance for any input.
It is my understanding that the needs based aid is completely formulaic and in fact every school has a net cost calculator that lets you input your information and get what i am told is a fairly accurate representation of your potential costs.

I would not assume that the calculations are the same for grad school as they are for undergrad.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I am curious about the Ivy League schools since my DD's dream school is one. She is a 2023 pitcher who wants to use softball as her way of getting into an academically elite school. Does anyone know if the needs-based grants are even a little bit more generous for athletes? My son is attending law school at an Ivy, and he received zero needs-based funding, so should I expect none for my daughter, even if she is recruited? Thanks in advance for any input.
As mentioned before. Go to the school's website and enter your information and see what it spits out. Athletes and NARP'S(Non athletic regular person) are seen as the same. This goes for the NESCACS too. All depends on your family income, number of dependents in college, etc.

Nov 5, 2014
One more update.

Defying everything I thought about the way things were going to play out, DD and her teammate both received offers from an Ivy league school (not the same one) today. As BT mentioned earlier Ivy league offers are different in that no athletic scholarship money is offered. They are essentially offering you one of their admission slots that benefits from the lower requirements for admissions than a NARP. Any financial assistance would be purely needs based.

Dec 11, 2010
You should still fill out and submit fasfa. I’m told (by my wife who is the households Minister of Finance) that she was told if schools see you didn’t do that they assume you aren’t interested in other money available. Yes, we think that’s stupid too.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
Six contacts including three Ivies; no offers; one contact I would consider highly personalized. Can't complain; the volume of contacts is kinda what I expected. Some schools that watched an awful lot of videos did not get in touch. Ah well.

Nov 5, 2014
Six contacts including three Ivies; no offers; one contact I would consider highly personalized. Can't complain; the volume of contacts is kinda what I expected. Some schools that watched an awful lot of videos did not get in touch. Ah well.
Congrats to your DD

Our team saw something similar. Boston College watched 10+ of our games on Athletes Go Live this summer but did not contact anybody today

Apr 28, 2014
Last year DD had a wave on 9/1 then a second wave the following week. Think your DD may be the second or third pick and after 1 or 2 decline interest they move to the next prospect. Expect a second wave.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
Last year DD had a wave on 9/1 then a second wave the following week. Think your DD may be the second or third pick and after 1 or 2 decline interest they move to the next prospect. Expect a second wave.

Good to know!

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
DD had kind of put her eggs in one basket as far as D1 was considered and we did not hear from them yesterday. I think she falls somewhere within their realm of interest because the coach usually "likes" her Twitter posts pretty much instantaneously. She was pretty bummed, but I agree that there could be a second wave. She also had put out some feelers with Ivies that I think she will now be pursuing more fervently.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Less D1 recruitment spots
( because of extended eligibilty corruption...i mean disruption,... oops players being given extended opportunity ;) )
Prudent to open mind to all other options!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles