September 1 for Class of 2022

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2014
Thought I would start a thread for people to share information about September 1 for the 2022 class. Most parents have not been through this process as the September 1 rule change started with the class of 2021 and nobody has been through the process during a pandemic leading to an NCAA dead period. So hearing what is happening for other kids may help parents put into context what they are experiencing and hopefully help navigate the process. The things I was thinking about were; are you receiving calls, if so did you attend camps at these schools, did they watch your livestream games this summer, what was content on the call; offers or we are interested and will keep following you etc.. but feel free to share any info that you think will be helpful and feel free to leave out school names if that makes you uncomfortable or to protect the guilty :LOL:

I will start with what I have seen so far leading into Sept 1.

DD's Teammate had a high academic D1 call their travel coach last week and set up a zoom call for September 1. (Not technically legal but was a huge sigh of relief for her friend knowing in advance) She has been to 3-4 camps at this school and they did watch several games this summer

DD had another coach from the same conference contact their travel coach to relay the request for her most recent transcript and they shared their feelings with him that DD would be a great fit for their program. We are cautiously optimistic they will be calling tomorrow. DD has been to 2 camps at this school but they only watched 1 game this summer which had us worried.

Apr 28, 2014
Good thread!

Last year (DD is a 2021) DD and our family were at a camp during sept 1st weekend (school she committed to) and staying at a hotel. I woke up around 4AM as I couldn't sleep on the hard mattress. Just happened to grab my phone and the emails were there. It was exciting for DD to have schools reach out at mid-night. Around 8AM her cell phone started to ring, also very nice. The camp we were attending was cut short due a hurricane warning so we hopped in the car and drove 9 hours home. DD had several conversations that day in the car and it was cool to see her becoming an adult as she spoke with coaches. Ultimately she was in love with the school we were at that day, just worked out that way but she did set up a few official visits to see other schools. Mid October she visited her #1 school for the weekend and committed. It was a good process and most of her friends who were 21's also received similar interest and mostly all committed. I am hearing some good signs today for 22's in our area. Everyone who wants to play this game in college can do it, with hard work and focus.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
2022 DD has had good interest from D2s; has a NAIA offer in-hand and has had tons of video views and some travel coach contact from D1s...wouldn’t be surprised if tomorrow brings some communication; also wouldn’t be surprised to hear crickets!

Nov 5, 2014
So now that it is officially September 1 I have a couple of updates.

DD's teammate I mentioned previously received 4 midnight emails 3 Ivy and 1 ACC(her dream school). She attended camps multiple times at each school including 5-6 at her dream school. Livestreaming was hit and miss 1 of the Ivies watched every game, another watched only once and the third didn't watch at all. The ACC also did not watch.

DD also received 4 midnight emails. 2 Ivy, 1 Patriot, and 1 Big East. She has been to multiple camps at each. The 2 Ivies also contacted her teammate and they were the ones who didn't watch much livestreaming. The big east school watched every game and the Patriot didn't watch at all.

Clearly coaches took very different approaches to livestreaming but it quickly is becoming clear that many coaches did not want to rely too heavily on live streaming and were more willing to go with what they saw in person at camps and during the fall season.

Email content was fairly generic and was designed to set up a call

Nov 21, 2017
So now that it is officially September 1 I have a couple of updates.

DD's teammate I mentioned previously received 4 midnight emails 3 Ivy and 1 ACC(her dream school). She attended camps multiple times at each school including 5-6 at her dream school. Livestreaming was hit and miss 1 of the Ivies watched every game, another watched only once and the third didn't watch at all. The ACC also did not watch.

DD also received 4 midnight emails. 2 Ivy, 1 Patriot, and 1 Big East. She has been to multiple camps at each. The 2 Ivies also contacted her teammate and they were the ones who didn't watch much livestreaming. The big east school watched every game and the Patriot didn't watch at all.

Clearly coaches took very different approaches to livestreaming but it quickly is becoming clear that many coaches did not want to rely too heavily on live streaming and were more willing to go with what they saw in person at camps and during the fall season.

Email content was fairly generic and was designed to set up a call
Thank you for that update. I think I am more anxious and nervous than my DD. But my daughter also got 2 midnight emails from 2 Ivys. But that is it. Not much from anyone else. Also saw on twitter some coaches aren't doing midnight emails as they prefer to call in the morning. Good luck to the 2022s, as today is the first day of the Rollercoaster ride that is recruiting.

Apr 28, 2014
Congratulations on the emails!! Next step is usually to set up a call or zoom. If all goes well then a visit. Prior to the visit your DDs will need to register with the NCAA and keep in mind that any official visits count against the 5 she is allowed to take. Good rule of thumb is to keep 2 in her back pocket. 1 for after she signs her NLI if the school invites her back for a visit to meet her teammates and one in case something falls through so she can visit a different school.
Also you will know a school is serious when they request transcripts. That's what they need to start putting together a package.
Exciting times!

Apr 28, 2014
Also with the IVYs they don't technically "verbal" kids. They have a different process. As you all know IVYs are much more strict on SATS and transcripts. However with COVID many schools have waived that requirement. Also IVY's offer need based grants and do not offer athletic scholarships per say.

Jun 8, 2016
Midnight calls? If that ever happens with my DD it is good thing she will be answering because I cannot be held responsible for anything I say after 10:30 pm.

Nov 5, 2014
Next update.

DD's teammate received a few more Ivy emails as well as 2 A10 schools. She has received a total of 10. Had her first zoom call this morning with one of the Ivies and is talking to her dream ACC school now.

DD got 2 more IVY emails for a total of 6 schools. Has a call set up for 5pm with one of the Ivies.

Lots of activity with DD's other teammates as well. Most received between 2-4 emails. As expected coaches seem to be most aggressive in pursuing Pitchers and catchers. Other position players feels more like a get to know you better process

Apr 23, 2020
Also with the IVYs they don't technically "verbal" kids. They have a different process. As you all know IVYs are much more strict on SATS and transcripts. However with COVID many schools have waived that requirement. Also IVY's offer need based grants and do not offer athletic scholarships per say.

I am curious about the Ivy League schools since my DD's dream school is one. She is a 2023 pitcher who wants to use softball as her way of getting into an academically elite school. Does anyone know if the needs-based grants are even a little bit more generous for athletes? My son is attending law school at an Ivy, and he received zero needs-based funding, so should I expect none for my daughter, even if she is recruited? Thanks in advance for any input.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles