Leap into 2022, USA rules change for pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 11, 2021
Got it. Thx! Next time I get a coach "griping and delaying a game" about some kid replanting, I'm going to just default to, "Relax, Coach. I'm just gonna let her PITCH IT. You need to just worry about your batters... tell 'em to JUST HIT IT." Easy peezy! 🤣

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Got it. Thx! Next time I get a coach "griping and delaying a game" about some kid replanting, I'm going to just default to, "Relax, Coach. I'm just gonna let her PITCH IT. You need to just worry about your batters... tell 'em to JUST HIT IT." Easy peezy! 🤣
So you missed the point...

The point is being made no matter what one person/coach/umpire thinks in one game it will be interpreted differently in another game.
As a suggestion, it is better to just focus on hitting the ball then focus on complaining. Because what happens today might be completely different the next game.
I focus on softball.
Not at bat trying to hope the umpire's interpretation of the rule gets applied or not. Every game those interpretations can be different...
so at bat
FOCUS ON
*Producing Results!!!
I'm going to hit the ball no matter what the pitcher is doing and know matter what anyone else thinks.

DONT LET trying to distinguish how to apply the rule or who it should apply to while you're playing softball.
Don't let that screw up your mindset just go out and
Hit The Ball
that's what I suggest.

For pitchers~
There maybe times umpires going to call them on stuff, and times the umpire won't.
Pitchers will have to make the decision on if they'll need to change?!
Perhaps a good discussion to follow~
What would you do if you are a pitcher and only sometimes you got called on the rule? Would you keep doing what works because only small% of the time you get called on it or when would you change.

Cuz we already know there is umpire inconsistancy.

*** as a coach I have never griped to an umpire about rules and what pitchers are doing.
Not once, not ever.
Not even as a player.
Because the pitcher is right in front of them, they already have their own interpretation.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2016
Got it. Thx! Next time I get a coach "griping and delaying a game" about some kid replanting, I'm going to just default to, "Relax, Coach. I'm just gonna let her PITCH IT. You need to just worry about your batters... tell 'em to JUST HIT IT." Easy peezy!

The way most girls “leap” now unintentionally, in all honesty there is absolutely no advantage. I have tried to explain that to so many people but it falls on deaf ears…. As a coach of a travel squad when I see a girl doing that I shrug my shoulders and let her continue doing it because also as a pitching instructor I know she is mechanically flawed.

Now hear me out there is a right way to leap in order to gain power like you see in Men’s Fastpitch. However when a female pitcher is unintentionally leaping she just does not understand how to get her hips back under her body to get back side-drive Instead she jumps forward thinking she is using her legs and very seldom does. All she’s doing is gaining ground and not necessarily a pitching advantage…. (For the record Barnhill was an exception to that rule)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Dec 13, 2019
The way most girls “leap” now unintentionally, in all honesty there is absolutely no advantage. I have tried to explain that to so many people but it falls on deaf ears…. As a coach of a travel squad when I see a girl doing that I shrug my shoulders and let her continue doing it because also as a pitching instructor I know she is mechanically flawed.

Now hear me out there is a right way to leap in order to gain power like you see in Men’s Fastpitch. However when a female pitcher is unintentionally leaping she just does not understand how to get her hips back under her body to get back side-drive Instead she jumps forward thinking she is using her legs and very seldom does. All she’s doing is gaining ground and not necessarily a pitching advantage…. (For the record Barnhill was an exception to that rule)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmm 🤔...
I would consider gaining ground (even tho some may still pitch the same speed) would still be an added advantage
Closer is closer.

Some will produce more speed and gain ground.
Closer and faster.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Or you could limit the pitcher to the 8ft circle and let them do what they want.

I know I’m in the minority but I still say leaping is an advantage. Girl on our 18U gold team last year used to leap and could definitely get out further and throw harder than when she was forced to drag. Velocity would noticeably drop when she stayed legal.

Any time a pitcher has to consciously change her mechanics it's most likely going to cause a loss of velocity. I had one of my better pitchers experiment with not dragging her toe and it messed her up. Instead of just pitching she had to focus on how she was pitching.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Or you could limit the pitcher to the 8ft circle and let them do what they want.

Any time a pitcher has to consciously change her mechanics it's most likely going to cause a loss of velocity. I had one of my better pitchers experiment with not dragging her toe and it messed her up. Instead of just pitching she had to focus on how the was pitching.
Mehhh think that limit would be unfair to height gifted players.
That would/could create 'force to change' for them too.

Jun 20, 2016
Hmmm 🤔...
I would consider gaining ground (even tho some may still pitch the same speed) would still be an added advantage
Closer is closer.

Some will produce more speed and gain ground.
Closer and faster.
Sounds that way huh?? But no its a bad way to gain ground it gives the pitcher the illusion they are being "explosive" when in reality most are using only one half of there body by turning sideways jumping out with the stride leg and not driving the backside into the pitch, resulting in lost MPH. I'll give you an example I had a girl sometime ago she is in college now. Came to me with a "leaping" problem being called a lot for it during games. She was striding out between 68 to 72 inches throwing mid 50's on occasion reaching 60 when the wind was at her back. Worked a lot on her understanding how to use both arms to propel herself forward, in turn her hips started getting back underneath her body. Foot started dragging toe down not side anchoring, stride distance was now 74 -77 inches and she topped off at 63 but pitched 60-61 consistently......

Point is it doesn't matter how far you stride if your doing it wrong because that pitcher will not be a threat to a decent hitter and will be batting practice for a good hitter.

Jun 20, 2016
I know I’m in the minority but I still say leaping is an advantage. Girl on our 18U gold team last year used to leap and could definitely get out further and throw harder than when she was forced to drag. Velocity would noticeably drop when she stayed legal.
More then likely the reason velocity went down was because she was focused on dragging and pitching legal so she more then likely tightened up...

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Sounds that way huh?? But no its a bad way to gain ground it gives the pitcher the illusion they are being "explosive" when in reality most are using only one half of there body by turning sideways jumping out with the stride leg and not driving the backside into the pitch, resulting in lost MPH. I'll give you an example I had a girl sometime ago she is in college now. Came to me with a "leaping" problem being called a lot for it during games. She was striding out between 68 to 72 inches throwing mid 50's on occasion reaching 60 when the wind was at her back. Worked a lot on her understanding how to use both arms to propel herself forward, in turn her hips started getting back underneath her body. Foot started dragging toe down not side anchoring, stride distance was now 74 -77 inches and she topped off at 63 but pitched 60-61 consistently......

Point is it doesn't matter how far you stride if your doing it wrong because that pitcher will not be a threat to a decent hitter and will be batting practice for a good hitter
I think you're making a separate Point pertaining to what you would prefer to see in mechanics.
(Which could be regardless of leaping)
Vs
just the discussion of gaining ground.

Don't think all pitchers are suddenly going to be throwing crappy because they're going to be gaining ground.

This is reverting back to something that pitchers did very very well and since you comment on mens game
Remember women were already doing this very very well decades ago.
And women pitchers did use it to their advantage....
There will be more!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00