Pitching rule change???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
There are rumors out there about a pitching rule change from the USA/ASA annual meeting that just concluded. A lot of people are saying that "leaping" is now legal in USA softball for females, aligning the rule with WBSC. Does anyone know if this is true?? I don't need additional people saying they heard the same rumor, I'm hoping someone here was at the meetings and can confirm this happened or it didn't.

Jul 22, 2015
There are rumors out there about a pitching rule change from the USA/ASA annual meeting that just concluded. A lot of people are saying that "leaping" is now legal in USA softball for females, aligning the rule with WBSC. Does anyone know if this is true?? I don't need additional people saying they heard the same rumor, I'm hoping someone here was at the meetings and can confirm this happened or it didn't.
There is another thread in the Softball Discussions forum that starts "Leap Into 2022" discussing this but it sounds like it was based on "chatter" as well.

Aug 21, 2008
Leaping is one thing, crow hopping/replanting like the men are allowed to do is another thing entirely.
Thanks but that has nothing to do with the question I asked.

I did get a text from someone who says they are on the board at USA softball and this did pass. But I also saw a post where someone says they too are on the board of directors and nothing was voted on. I'm not sure who to believe.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Yes, I have it confirmed from a very good source that was in attendance and leaping will be allowed by USA Softball staring in January of 2022.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Well keep your eyes and ears open……NCAA will change this rule next.

Aug 21, 2008
It seems like USA keeps on getting further away from NCAA.
excellent point. The egos at USA softball still don't recognize PGF, USSSA, etc. They still think it's the 1980's when they were the only game in town for girls. As they go further away from NCAA, even less teams will play their sanction. Most of the top teams already bypass USA for other sanctions. Not many of the better organizations play for USA softball's top prize. Which is kinda unusual when you think about it, USA softball holds the keys to the National teams. I guarantee all selection committee members are at USA tournaments, maybe only 1 or 2 would be at other places like PGF.

Men's softball was the same thing. The selectors have started going to the ISC tournament where all the top teams and players were at. Not all teams went to the ASA National. So if you wanted to see how a pitcher does against foreign batters, they'd definitely see that at the ISC. Same for USA hitters vs. foreign pitching, all were at ISC, not everyone at ASA.

The Chinese say "May you live in interesting times". We certainly do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles