Pitching rule change???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
excellent point. The egos at USA softball still don't recognize PGF, USSSA, etc. They still think it's the 1980's when they were the only game in town for girls. As they go further away from NCAA, even less teams will play their sanction. Most of the top teams already bypass USA for other sanctions. Not many of the better organizations play for USA softball's top prize. Which is kinda unusual when you think about it, USA softball holds the keys to the National teams. I guarantee all selection committee members are at USA tournaments, maybe only 1 or 2 would be at other places like PGF.
\

ASA/USA Softball always used the Olympics as their path to getting the best talent to their events. Once that went away, USA Softball has proven unable to adapt and has become more and more uncompetitive against all the other orgs who do a better job of pretty much everything.

USA Softball have tried partnering with USSSA this year - lets see if that comes to anything more than a press release on a new pro fastpitch league (and ZERO follow-up since).

And it is still 7 years to MAYBE having another softball Olympic event.

Jun 19, 2016
In my area USA has almost a weekly tournament...sometimes two...for 10-14U B/C. Most of the top teams play other sanctions. My daughter has been taught to do whatever the most restricted rule is....in this case she uses the start back....which is legal in all sanctions. It is two difficult to change every weekend.

Aug 10, 2015
A source I have that was at the meeting said it was actually the NCAA that was pushing the change and wanted USA softball to change as well as they thought that would push the NCAA into making leaping legal for this upcoming season. USA Softball will make leaping legal starting Jan 1 and I have not heard more on what the NCAA will do yet for this season.

Aug 21, 2008
A source I have that was at the meeting said it was actually the NCAA that was pushing the change and wanted USA softball to change as well as they thought that would push the NCAA into making leaping legal for this upcoming season. USA Softball will make leaping legal starting Jan 1 and I have not heard more on what the NCAA will do yet for this season.
NCAA usually makes softball rules at the NFCA convention, first week of December. I think it's in Las Vegas this year.

Aug 10, 2015
I was just told that there was 2 representatives from the NCAA at the convention pushing for this change.

Jun 19, 2016
NCAA ignored the step back that USA and USSSA allowed. So it is kind of hard to believe they will jump on the leaping.

Aug 21, 2008
I chatted with Texas' Mike White yesterday about a few things, I asked if college will implement this since he's on the NFCA rules committee. He said it wouldn't be available until 2024. All rule changes, unless safety issues, require a 2 year gap between voting and starting. Since this isn't a safety rule, if they do vote it in, 2024 will be the first time college makes it "official". He thinks it will pass.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles