Leap into 2022, USA rules change for pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2018
So, has this USA rule change been confirmed?

Interestingly, the NFHS posted their 2022 rule changes: no pitching rules changed. That means high school games you can't leap, USA games you can.

One rule set, please.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Interestingly, the NFHS posted their 2022 rule changes: no pitching rules changed. That means high school games you can't leap, USA games you can.

One rule set, please.
So weird.....
Wonder what the reasonings are for the separate decisions?

Aug 21, 2008

One rule set, please.
Yes. It’s confirmed. Other bodies have not adopted it yet. But they will. College will vote next month and it’ll be 2 years before it goes into effect.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
There is also no "hitch" or pause in the arm circle if you leap, there is a pause in every arm circle of a replant/crow hop.
This is very important and generally overlooked. The more time you spend in the air the more lag you have to have in your arm circle. When I see the men I often think they could sling shot the ball just as effectively as windmilling it, some of them almost stop at the top of the circle. I'm thinking that women are more dependent on the velocity that the arm circle generates and simply won't be able to crow hop like the men unless they are very strong in the upper body.

Aug 21, 2008
This is very important and generally overlooked. The more time you spend in the air the more lag you have to have in your arm circle. When I see the men I often think they could sling shot the ball just as effectively as windmilling it, some of them almost stop at the top of the circle. I'm thinking that women are more dependent on the velocity that the arm circle generates and simply won't be able to crow hop like the men unless they are very strong in the upper body.
Slingshot used to be quite popular. I know Joan Joyce, considered by many to be the GOAT in women's pitching was a sling shot pitcher too. Herb Dudley, namesake of Dudley softballs, was a slingshot pitcher. However, this gets into the pointless argument of comparing generations. I think there was more sling shot pitchers in yesteryear before so much was known about how the body moves and how we get our power. Especially as the rules for pitching have become much more liberal. If sling shot was TRULY as effective as the windmill motion, people'd be doing it today. Sling shot pitchers were not pitching with polycore balls and against composite bats. We'll never know how many balls were flyouts to center that'd have been 300ft HR's today.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478