IR--one more time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Can anyone "share" me a clip, video, something of a LHP using this IR? I want to make sure I'm understanding each and every one of you with some video evidence. Please no mirror images of RH's.

Jul 14, 2008
JADad......Thx very much, and nice to hear from. I'm alway humbled when people like you take the time to say thank you......I think taking the time to post goes above and beyond just pressing a thank you button........

I'd like to appologize for the way Mr. Huff welcomed you to the board with such a condesending greeting........There really are a BUNCH of nice people on this board..........Unfortunately, when he feels anyone support something other then his information his feathers get pretty ruffled..........

.......since you are another suddenly appearing supporter

As Steve mentioned there was ONE closed thread where he had recomended a drill called "the wipe the wall drill", and I interjected "to the board" (not to him) that I didnt like that drill because it didn't "emulate" the actions that the best pitchers in the world did.......

His reply to me was just as "snarky" as his introduction to you here..........Basically challenging me to "enlighten the board" about way.......

When I started discussing I/R and my theories he got really defensive and began telling me how he'd "go with science" over my opinion..........

So of course I got "snarky" right back..........I made one (bad character) comment based on his INITIAL "snarky" reply to me and told him I felt like he had sort of a "god complex when challanged".........Unfortunately I stooped and I shouldn't have........Sluggers rightfully shut down the thread and deleted the bad charactor content from both of us...........Since then I've been called a liar......A lunatic, and serveral other names but I haven't "snarked back" much, because I don't take this stuff personal........Luckily this thread has survived so far......I hope to keep it that way........

Bottom line is, you can see how you were received on this board, (and there were other new posters in this thread he addressed the same way) and judge for yourself what's going on........Please accept the boards appology and know we have great people here who love to discuss fastpitch and the windmill motion.........

I'll give you a heads up though........Be very careful to notice when a particular subject is being discussed, truisms are introduced that are parallel BUT NOT on topic.....And they then create a different argument centered around arguing that point....When someone does this........It's called creating a "strawman" argument.......

You can read about it by clicking here.......You'd do well to learn to recognize this pattern.........Because it can really serve to convolute a thread or topic.........It doesn't happen a lot.......But when it does it's trouble........

So once again.......Welcome to the board and stay tuned for more discussion on fastpitch and the windmill motion......

It appears that elbow flexion (bending at the elbow) will be the next topic.........Here's how Mr. Huff chose to make it a new topic. Speaking to me he said:

Do you even know what "flexion" means??

Well I guess we'll see soon!

Stay tuned!!..............

Boardmember thank you! I read your post a while back about IR and taught it to my daughters. Once they got used to it and didn't have to think about it they picked up speed and movement. They now pitch for their high school team and are doing very well. Without your help they would have had to quit pitching which they both dearly love. I have been reading posts on this website for a long time and am sadden by the negativity from the some of the people who have started posting on here with in the last year or so. There is alot of good information on this site and most of it has come from Boardmember.

Jul 14, 2008
Can anyone "share" me a clip, video, something of a LHP using this IR? I want to make sure I'm understanding each and every one of you with some video evidence. Please no mirror images of RH's.

Cat.......

qosg9x.gif

One of my students warming up.............

nqoidi.gif

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Softball Junkie, I am not a suddenly appearing supporter. After IR worked for my daughters (a little over 2 years) we have shared it with several other pitchers in our area who have had differing levels of success. Just because I don't post online and join in the discussion doesn't mean I don't read every thread about pitching I can to help my daughters. Since I didn't mention you by name and honestly weren't thinking about you specifically in my first post you must be feeling guilty and in need to defend yourself. Too bad! You do bring some interesting items to the discussion.

Have you ever heard of deductive reasoning? Since I am alone here for the most part, and since I asked questions I wasn't supposed to ask, I think deducing the intended was not a stroke of insecurity or luck. And since I have Nations who pay me to come coach their programs for the stalled Olympics, I doubt I question my credibility. For that and other reasons I doubt I lack confidence to submit unfavorable opinion. Just wanted to make sure you weren't josephlis' twin brother or something. Soliciting support would be a bigger sign of insecurity me thinks!

Well typical at best! Justadad, he left off the best part.
"I think you do!"
But this type of garbage is what I have to deal with.

My girlfriend is mad at me for the time lost. I am going to Russia in June and need my VISA. I have five clinics in four countries to prepare for. I have a 300+ page PDF document to prepare. I never finished my "Calling the Pitches" post because I got distracted. So I need a break from your character! You are not all wrong, in fact, if you were honest, you would post that I said you might be right! But the 3 questions I asked were too much for YOUR fragile ego. It meant you might be wrong! This has gotten disgusting. I don't mind your doctrine. I really loath your character.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I might remind all members that the original IR thread was a direct result of Boardmember sharing thoughts on my daughters poor mechanics. Without my poor training of her there would be no IR thread. I deserve at least 40% of the credit.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I have a question for whoever would like to answer. But first let me say thank you to Boardmember for enlightening me with respect to Internal Rotation. My DD was one of those Pitchers being taught the push down and wrist snap/hello elbow even though her PC threw with natural IR. The difference in her Pitching since reading that thread end changing PC has been phenominal.

Now to the question. What is "arm whip" without some internal rotation of the forearm? I don't care if it is 90 degree or 180. I don't understand the comment that arm whip is the single most important contributor to speed when, as I understand the physiology, arm whip cannot take place without internal rotation? Would that make internal rotation the single largest contributor?

Somewhat confused.

Jul 14, 2008
Have you ever heard of deductive reasoning? Since I am alone here for the most part, and since I asked questions I wasn't supposed to ask, I think deducing the intended was not a stroke of insecurity or luck. And since I have Nations who pay me to come coach their programs for the stalled Olympics, I doubt I question my credibility. For that and other reasons I doubt I lack confidence to submit unfavorable opinion. Just wanted to make sure you weren't josephlis' twin brother or something. Soliciting support would be a bigger sign of insecurity me thinks!

You'll notice there was no appology here Dad.........Only defensive responses..........Deductive reasoning should tell you what you want to know about Mr. Huff..........

Well typical at best! Justadad, he left off the best part.

I think you do.....

Doublespeak.........
Doublespeak is language that deliberately disguises, distorts, or reverses the meaning of words.......making the truth less unpleasant, without denying its nature............It may also be deployed as intentional ambiguity, or reversal of meaning.....

Let me give you another example of doublespeak.........."Mr. Huff, are you a COMPLETE IDIOT? I think you may not be."

Notice how I carefully reversed the original meaning of my statement without denying it's truth by injecting doublespeak?........

You are not all wrong, in fact, if you were honest, you would post that I said you might be right!

True statement..........

But the 3 questions I asked were too much for YOUR fragile ego.

My ego is hardly fragile........Your's however seems to be.........

The questions you asked were answered many times via high speed video, independent tesitmonial/case studies.......and finally Bio-Mechanics science studies I've posted most recently.......You just refuse to acknowledge that fact.......

I really loath your character.

I would suggest it's your own jilted perception of my character that bothers you the most.....Sort of a "love/hate" thing........I can't help you with that my friend......

Now I really want to dive more into some areas my theory on palm and ball positions thoughout the sequence, and why I believe they are more advantageous then others........

I see no reason to include you in that discussion so I'll start another thread on the subject........

Stay Tuned!

Jul 14, 2008
I might remind all members that the original IR thread was a direct result of Boardmember sharing thoughts on my daughters poor mechanics. Without my poor training of her there would be no IR thread. I deserve at least 40% of the credit.

Agreed!!!!.......:D

Jul 14, 2008
I have a question for whoever would like to answer. But first let me say thank you to Boardmember for enlightening me with respect to Internal Rotation. My DD was one of those Pitchers being taught the push down and wrist snap/hello elbow even though her PC threw with natural IR. The difference in her Pitching since reading that thread end changing PC has been phenominal.

Thank you for thanking me!

Now to the question. What is "arm whip" without some internal rotation of the forearm? I don't care if it is 90 degree or 180. I don't understand the comment that arm whip is the single most important contributor to speed when, as I understand the physiology, arm whip cannot take place without internal rotation? Would that make internal rotation the single largest contributor?

Whip in its purest form:
Verb with no object: "to move or go quickly and suddenly"

When someone says to me: "I teach arm whip", it raises a red flag.......Arm whip can be spoken as a quick or sudden arm circle.....

Ironically, Mr. Balswick pointed out a study to me that showed that fastest ball velocity's reached had no correlation to arm circle speed.......And infact, the fastest recorded velocitys were recorded by pitchers with the slowest arm circles.......

Which seem to support your assertion..........

It is true that without "arm circle" there is no windmill.........But that seems kind of obvious to me........:)

May 16, 2010
Ironically, Mr. Balswick pointed out a study to me that showed that fastest ball velocity's reached had no correlation to arm circle speed.......And in fact, the fastest recorded velocitys were recorded by pitchers with the slowest arm circles.......

I'm no expert on the softball pitching motion, but I have always believed from my knowledge of physics and bio-mechanics, that what happens with the arm, prior to the 12:00 o'clock position, doesn't have much effect on pitch speed.

Just my educated guess; but I don't think pitchers who take the ball way back behind them in their windup get very much more speed than those who use a style like Hillhouse uses.

I'm not saying there is no difference, but I'd guess it is minimal, and the control issues that it can cause aren't worth the added speed.

P.S

I don't think it is much different from a baseball pitcher. What Mo does with his ARM before this point, isn't going to increase his pitch speed.

rivera5.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06