If You Could Write Two Letters...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Knowing what you know now about DD and FP, if you or DD had to write the 2 letters described below, to whom would they go and what would they say?

1st letter - to someone who doubted/undermined DD's ability, potential, drive etc

2nd letter - to someone who believed in, supported, promoted or otherwise helped DD

Extra credit - how do you think the recipients would react to these imaginary letters?

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
1. The entire parent group of her first year 12U team as she was the new girl from a different city that "STOLE" the starting catcher role

2. Her current manager. Most people don't like him because he's not a very educated person outside of softball. However there's not a person that cares for the girls and their future like he does.

Extra Credit: 1. I'm sure they would find something to say about her lack of ability as a catcher and how she's never going to college to be a catcher. I guess the 12 emails she got yesterday don't count as coaches being interested.

Extra Credit: 2. He will probably just smile and say Sweet lol.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
1. The rec league "in crowd" that dismissed DD because she wasn't part of their "gold" circle at 8. They continually threw her under the bus, excluded her and made nasty comments though she out paced their DDs by working hard. The ackward kid grew into her body and is still growing. I would say THANK YOU because you put gas on the fire.

2. Her current mentor. Exactly the same as Jquick823.

Extra credit: 1. They would completely ignore the letter. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

2. He would say thank you and give credit to her for working hard.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2016
Letter #1 actually happened in person: DD1 played on a good HS team and started as a freshman over several players from a local TB team who were older than she was. I was standing along the fence talking to the HC of that travel team while we watched a HS game. He remarked about how good she was for a freshman and then he asked me how she ended up playing TB with a different organization in the area. I told him that she had tried out for his organization at 10U and we never even got a call back to tell us whether we made it or not so we went down the road. He didn't believe me. He was running the tryout! In fairness to him she was terrible that day and then looked amazing the next day at the other tryout.

Letter #2 would be to DD1's 14U TB coach. A rough around the edges guy who yelled, screamed, and sometimes demeaned but wow did she respond to him. He made her believe that she was a good player with the potential to play in college. She got offers from every team she ever tried out for after playing for that guy. I called him about a year ago and thanked him for all he had done to help my kiddo.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I wouldn't have DD write the first letter at all, I would have her write 20 of the second letter and send 3 of them to her mom, sister and me, and the rest to some members of this board, her current HC and AC, her teammates and her PC.

Then I would force her to write one to God expressing thanks for her gifts and blessing our family with the resources to support her softball (so far) even though I somehow am raising an agnostic.

She says all she needs to say in the first letter every time she crosses paths with anyone who it would be sent to anyway, either by her kindness, humility, grades or pitching. Success is the best revenge.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Knowing what you know now about DD and FP, if you or DD had to write the 2 letters described below, to whom would they go and what would they say?

1st letter - to someone who doubted/undermined DD's ability, potential, drive etc

2nd letter - to someone who believed in, supported, promoted or otherwise helped DD

Extra credit - how do you think the recipients would react to these imaginary letters?

I would never write letter #1, it would serve no purpose. I get no joy out of see I told you so, and people who would undermine a child would not benefit either.

I would write a dozen letter #2s
her first 10u coach for giving her a chance and for being a constant presence all the way through 11th grade. For teaching her to rub some dirt on it, and that it only hurts until the pain goes away.
Her 12u, coaching staff, who also wound up being her second year 14u, 2 years of 16u and 18u coaches, for the encouragement and support for her on all things not just softball.
Her HS JV basketball coach, who also was her V basketball coach who saw her strength and smarts and was honest enough to tell her she wasn't a point guard, and then worked with her to develop her other skills so that she would get more playing time.
The parents of other girls who gave her rides and fed her and treated her like family when we were unable to be at a game or practice.
To the teachers who encouraged and rewarded by dd for her hard work in all subjects
The band director who treated my dd better then just about any other teacher or coach she ever had.
The AD and the School secretaries who were there for her when she was diagnosed with type one diabetes, they made sure her return to school and sports were seamless.
To the janitors who opened the gym and cleaned up after practices and games...

I am pleased to say that while these letters were never written, they (and several more people included) were mentioned by my dd in her valedictorian address when she graduated from HS. And many were personally thanked by my wife and I for the role they played in my dds successes.

How would these people react? The HS football coach, who we only know from when I coached his son in LL 15 years ago, approached my wife and I on separate occasions to tell us how my dd had the best Valedictorian address he had ever heard in his 27 years in our school, because she spoke from gratitude.

edit to add; I mis read, I thought I was the one writing the letters. she wouldn't take the time to write #1 either, I don't think she knows who her detractors are, and wouldn't care.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
I would have DD#1 write letter #1 personally, by hand, to all of the coaches and people along the way that put her abilities down or belittled her. After she had written all of them, put them in envelopes and addressed them I would have her shred them. I would explain to her that if it had not been for the adversity that these people put in front of you, you would not be the person you are today. They made you the strong and confident person that you are because you always strived to prove them wrong and you did!. By writing the letters you are able to address any pent up emotions you may have and by shredding the letters you can put that all behind you.

As for letter #2 I would ask her to write a personal letter to everyone who supported her and her dreams throughout the years. In the letter she should be sure to let them know the one thing that you will cherish the most as a result of meeting and knowing that person. Let them know what your dreams are, how they help you grow as a person, and matured into the adult you are today. Let them know that you are humbled to know them and that you are thankful.

The people for letter #1 never cared and would care even less if the received your letter. The people that you send letter #2 to will be forever grateful and some will actually be surprised as they probably did not know that you felt this way about them. They will never forget you as a result. These are the people that you will want to keep in touch with as you move forward in life.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy