YOU might be the problem

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
My first "diary entry". Every night that I do lessons, several topics come to mind about things I could write about. Last night, as almost every night I see a particular kid, this thought process comes to mind: the parent might be the problem.

I have a young pitcher about 12 years old that has a Jekyll and Hyde syndrome. She is 2 completely different pitchers based on who brings her to pitching lessons. When it's mom, she is laid back, smiles, laughs, enjoys the lesson. She doesn't stress over bad pitches and it's easier to communicate the old saying that this is a marathon not a sprint. But, when Dad brings her, she gets extremely uptight and seems to pitch in almost fear. When I'm going to see her on a particular evening, dad will text that afternoon and proceed to tell me things she has to work on, things she needs to develop, and almost seems to dictate what he wants her to do that night. I used to respond to his messages, now I don't even bother. Things young lady is not big, she has small hands, is only 1.5 years into using the 12" ball and dad seems to think she needs her riseball yesterday. Yes, I'm aware that someone reading this is chomping at the bit to tell me their DD is 12 and has a riseball that would make Osterman jealous. But I don't want to discuss pitches thrown at 12, 14 or 16U.

There is a balance that parents need to make between being supportive and one of the nutcases that Oprah interviews. You know the kind, where dad makes his 3 year old be able to catch a football pass on the run or he doesn't get a hot meal that night. Honestly, you see and hear some of these stories about parents, their behavior at games, and you have to think that some kids would rather have Casey Anthony as a mother!

This young lady I mentioned is a completely different pitcher when dad brings her vs. Mom. When dad is there, I can just see her terrified of making a mistake and I wonder what the conversations are like after the lesson (or before). There have been several times I've had to put him in his place with perspective about his daughter, her abilities, and what we're trying to accomplish. He can't fall into the trap of believing the other pitcher on the team has 8 pitches, she doesn't. And it's all well and good to think the other pitcher is successful with 8 pitches, without understanding that the difference here is BAD hitting, not GOOD pitching. More on that subject another time.

There are many ques young people do that tell us how interested they are in some things. Using pitching as our example, when you have a pitcher constantly asking how much time is left... there's an issue. When she purposely misses the ball being thrown back to her to help waste time during her session... there's an issue. When she asks 5-10 minutes into her lesson each week to use the bathroom... there's an issue. These are just some.

I'm not spilling any secrets here when I say we all know families where the parent(s) want it more than the kids. We've all seen people that go through this. We've all witnessed it. And NOBODY thinks it's their kid who has these feelings. Nobody wants to believe their kid isn't into this as much as they are. And I hope you are right, I truly do. As the old saying in Poker circles goes: look around the table and if you can't see who the sucker is, that means it's you.

It's never a wrong time to do a self check up on this. Take a true measure of who is wanting this lifetime of pitching more, yourself or your daughter (or son). I can tell you that I have more than 1 kid who I question whether it's her desire or the parents. And as I mentioned on an earlier post, I have ZERO problem with the part time pitcher who has other things in life going on. But, their expectations need to be seriously adjusted.

Apr 8, 2019
I always try to do and say the right things. I have never yelled from the sidelines. I try to be positive and supportive between games. My wife literally does not know the positions and doesn't really care to know. But I have missed ever one of Dd's handful of homers because my wife drove her to the game. Just by being involved can be enough for add anxiety for some kids.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
dafa52f5304b70fcbd4064be5c775aa4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
This is a fear I have. I try to remind myself that this is HER thing not mine. I get frustrated but always try to take a deep breath and let it go cause it does no good to try to talk to my DD with that frame of mind. I have even missed a ball on purpose just so I can get up from the bucket and walk over to cool off and let it go.

We have one of those dad's on our team who is kinda like this. He thinks his DD has 5 pitches, but in reality she has 2 maybe 3. Stand behind the plate and watch and her pitches are: changeup, balls, and strikes. She's fast, but nothing moves.

My DD gets twice the innings with only a FB, Change, Drop (that moves most of the time) and she's slower. It drives him crazy when his DD gets pulled cause she's getting hit all over the place or doesn't get the start in a big game.

I look forward to her learning the next pitch, but in no hurry until she fixes her mechanics and gets more consistent with the pitches she has.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I've always been afraid to be "that parent". I see them at the ballfield. We have a girl on our TB team who has a Dad like that. The best thing I ever did was make a conscious decision to step back and just let DD decide when she was "ready". Those that have gone through this likely know what I mean. At 10, 11, and 12 it was almost like pulling teeth to get DD to practice at home. She'd practice reluctantly, but many times only because she was forced. We'd attend lessons, but nothing would truly get better because she wouldn't work away from the lesson. It was crazy frustrating for me. Until I finally had a zen moment (thanks to DFP) that made me realize the journey was hers.....not mine. Just because I spent too much time reading about mechanics and analyzing pitchers during on TV didn't mean she wanted to.

It's not until the past couple of months (she's 13 now) playing with her JH has she really turned a corner in terms of the time she spends on pitching. Both practice as well as thinking about it. She watches games she can find on YouTube and ESPN. As well as bring up things she's fighting during team practices or in game so we can talk through it. Practice time is easier and a few times she's had to force me to go out (wet and cold are things I don't do well with). I now laugh at all the time I spent stressing last year about where she was at and how she stacked up against others her age. Who cares. Does she make mistakes? You bet. Is she getting circle time? Yes, tons of it. Do others think she's a good pitcher? Yes. Most importantly....is she having fun? Yes, a lot.

We're currently working on learning the change while we re-fix some mechanics. She's not fast (cruises at 40-43mph), but has a drop-ball that moves enough to create weak contact and swing & misses. On her own she's been learning to work the edges of the plate. Her next goals are increasing speed (her goal is 50mph), consistency in pitch location, and learning the change up.

My job is simply to help her meet the goals she sets and support her along the way.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
With my daughter, I feel like we are at a crossroads. I like to point out things she is doing right and dad likes to point out things she is doing wrong...and daughter wants us to both Then, when we don’t say anything, she wants to know why we are not helping her. Go figure...now I just repeat back the question she asks in an affirmative statement. Now dad wants me to . He thinks I sound like a parrot repeating everything back.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Most of the time the overbearing parent is saying things and giving “advise” that contradicts what her coaches and instructors are teaching.
I saw too many friends that sucked the fun out of their kids sports so much that many of the kids quit all sports all together.

I tend to only talk about what my girls have questions about and give them encouragement. I also stay on them to do their extra work and not get complacent.

Jul 14, 2018
It's not until the past couple of months (she's 13 now) playing with her JH has she really turned a corner in terms of the time she spends on pitching. Both practice as well as thinking about it.

Same experience, DD just turned 14. A little later, but last spring was lost.

She spent a lot of time on her own this past offseason working out and throwing into a net. This spring, she’s added 3-4 mph and is getting close to being able to throw a curve consistently. When they find that doing the work creates results on their own, you don’t have to be ‘that parent’ any more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598