What would you do if you feared a travel coach could sabotage DD's chances of playing DI or even DII?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Not giving a positive assessment of DD's attitude and skills to a college coach.
Any idea what would be the motivation for this if it is true? Did you or your DD have a run in with him (not that that would make it ok)?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Not giving a positive assessment of DD's attitude and skills to a college coach.
Do you know this to be truth or hearsay? Does this mean he gave a negative assessment or a neutral assessment? There is fine line here. I don't know your DD or the coach or how much pull the coach has with college coaches. If the coach gives a glowing assessment of a player, the player gets to the program and the kid is not what the college coach was expecting do you think that college coach is going to trust the TB coach? Either you need to leave or have a conversation with the coach to see what your DD needs to work on. Maybe it was a misunderstanding?

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
Devil's advocate: What if the coach is right, but you don't see it?

I'm the first one to admit I'm not one to judge the level of her ability and talent. Hey, I'm in the arts, so what do I know about sports?

It's the various coaches that have been talking to me about her that make me think that.

Sep 29, 2014
Now this matters...you can't have a college coach approach your DD travel coach and have the travel coach say negative things about her...it doesn't mean be dishonest but they should be playing up all the positives. How did you find this out? Also what exactly was it skills or attitude...if it was attitude I would either figure it out or leave...a coach can see with their eyes at camp or a game and know pretty quickly if she has the potential even if they have an off day but if coach says she has a bad attitude, never hustles, is team cancer and parents are a nightmare...coach is going to move on quickly.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm not ready to answer that publicly.
Ok well if he truly isn't giving a honest assessment then he is either an rear or you or your DD pissed him off somehow. Either way IF TRUE then you should probably walk away.

Sep 17, 2009
It's probably time for YOU to have a good sit down with him. I believe girls should talk directly to their coaches at high school age about most things -- softball, positions, opportunities, etc.

But THIS is a case of a coach doing something to sabotage your daughter, or if not that something you think might be sabotaging her. Either way, it's exactly the time for you to quietly and privately have a meeting with him and share your concerns. He should take the meeting and address them. If he won't or doesn't, you have your answer and you'll have to find a way to get your daughter away from someone openly trying to harm her.

I imagine that won't be the case, and if it is you should reveal his name and team name right here. More likely he's doing something he thinks is right and good for her and it's getting lost in translation and by talking with him you can fix it.

I wish your daughter the best of luck.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I guess not then. But, your kid can be the very best softball player in the nation, go to the top D1 school, win a championship, and then what? Will it ensure lifelong happiness or just, make her parents proud...
I’m more of your mind. But you have to understand that many players and families have a different view of what’s important about their softball career.

I’m not saying they are wrong, just that everyone has their own correct path.

Oct 3, 2019
I’m more of your mind. But you have to understand that many players and families have a different view of what’s important about their softball career.

I’m not saying they are wrong, just that everyone has their own correct path.
I just think the game is fun. It's fun to be around, to watch, to enjoy with the other parents and kids. I wonder if it loses the fun, what's left? I understand it does take work and commitment but, there can be a balance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812