What would you do if you feared a travel coach could sabotage DD's chances of playing DI or even DII?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
DD likes playing for the team, really likes the girls, likes most of the coaches. Because of geography and other conditions it is impractical for her to join any other team.
She has attended a DI multi-school camp at a mid-major campus and held her own. I'm not claiming she was the best player at her position, but she was up there doing as well as most of the others, and she got positive feedback about being a contact hitter.

In this situation how would you deal with the potential of sabotage?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
What kind of sabotage are you worried about? PM if you want to talk. I have seen it all from petty BS on upwards,

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Do you mean deliberate sabotage? Why?

Or do you just mean “This team isn’t going to give her a chance to be seen”?

Big difference.

Nov 18, 2013
She has attended a DI multi-school camp at a mid-major campus and held her own. I'm not claiming she was the best player at her position, but she was up there doing as well as most of the others,

I’d suggest increasing her practice routine or setting her sights lower. Holding their own and and doing as well as most of the others isn’t going to get her on a D1 roster. D1’s hold several camps a year with dozens to hundreds of kids at each one. A girl really needs to stand out to even be considered.

One thing I quickly learned are talented players are a dime a dozen. As good as the others won’t cut it. Not trying to be negative. Just brutally honest.

Oct 3, 2019
What's the big deal about D1? Isn't being able to play as long as possible, at any level, enough? I get it if the D1 school is where the kid needs and wants to go academically but, prioritizing D1 simply because of softball seems to me like, be careful what you hope for.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
I should've added that he says she shouldn't even bother to consider DII.
I’d suggest increasing her practice routine or setting her sights lower. Holding their own and and doing as well as most of the others isn’t going to get her on a D1 roster. D1’s hold several camps a year with dozens to hundreds of kids at each one. A girl really needs to stand out to even be considered.

One thing I quickly learned are talented players are a dime a dozen. As good as the others won’t cut it. Not trying to be negative. Just brutally honest.

I was being humble and intentionally vague in describing what things indicated she might be a mid-major DI caliber player.

I am not going to discourage her from dreaming. She also has DII schools she is interested in, so I think she has a reasonable perspective on things.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
What's the big deal about D1? Isn't being able to play as long as possible, at any level, enough? I get it if the D1 school is where the kid needs and wants to go academically but, prioritizing D1 simply because of softball seems to me like, be careful what you hope for.

She wants to pursue this DI school because it has an academic program she is interested in, besides having a softball team that does respectably for a mid-major. She also has DII schools on her list of top choices.

I don't think she would be happy at a DIII school because of the less time that is devoted to softball. She wants to squeeze in every minute of the sport she can. She goes to the weight room at her high school four times a week, 45 minutes before classes start, on her own, not part of any team or club, to get in her workouts.

May 29, 2015

[Sarcastic cynicism] Because softball pays for everybody to go to school in D1 .... people still believe it makes more sense to drop money on team fees, lessons, travel, equipment, camps, etc. than to invest or save that money in a college fund.

Other great ROI strategies: lottery tickets, craps tables, slot machines, etc. Come on lucky sevens! [/ sarcastic cynicism]

Seriously though, the best thing the OP said was that the school has a good program in her preferred field of study. THAT should be the focus above all else.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
[Sarcastic cynicism] Because softball pays for everybody to go to school in D1 .... people still believe it makes more sense to drop money on team fees, lessons, travel, equipment, camps, etc. than to invest or save that money in a college fund.

Other great ROI strategies: lottery tickets, craps tables, slot machines, etc. Come on lucky sevens! [/ sarcastic cynicism]

Seriously though, the best thing the OP said was that the school has a good program in her preferred field of study. THAT should be the focus above all else.

As for the ROI, this is what DD wants to do with her time now. DW and I are thinking this is not necessarily an investment in the future, it is an investment in DD's life now. She should be doing something with her free time as a high school student, and this is what she chose. If she wanted to do dance, she would be going to dance classes. We are just letting her follow her passion.

DD has such interest in her preferred field of study that she reads books about it on her own time. She becomes thoroughly committed to what she loves, whether it is softball or the dream of working in the field that interests her. I think she has a reasonable perspective on life.

BTW, I'm a musician, I would've loved it if she had gone into the arts.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
I should've added that he says she shouldn't even bother to consider DII.

I was being humble and intentionally vague in describing what things indicated she might be a mid-major DI caliber player.

I am not going to discourage her from dreaming. She also has DII schools she is interested in, so I think she has a reasonable perspective on things.

You’re too humble. :) Don’t be shy about having a kid who’s a great softball player.

I disagree strongly with the guy who said don’t even consider D2. It sounds like she has the drive to compete at D1, but she should explore all of her options to make the best choice. Best of luck on her journey!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee