Hit or error?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
So then, what if CF recovers in time, gets to the ball and it hits the mitt and falls to the ground? We can't rule an error for misjudging it to begin with but that same mis-judgment, causes her to reach it late and then bobble. Is that now an error?
I thought the same thing, the rule is dumb. Rewarding a players stats for a bad play.

Oct 14, 2019
You know what’s stupid - when the pitcher boots a groundball which results in unearned runs for the pitcher. But that’s the rule.

Apr 1, 2017
What about wind? Watching the White Sox vs Mariners game right now, with gusts over 50MPH. 4 times in the last couple innings, infield pop-ups that would normally be caught by an average 10u team have been dropped.

May 16, 2016
With respect -

Mental errors are not recorded because they require the scorer to impute what the fielder was thinking.
The purpose of a rulebook is to take subjective and weird out of the equation.

What the typical 16 yo outfield is thinking... "OMG, they hit it to me!!!! Oh, catch it... catch it... oh no, it's going over my heads... whew! I caught it.... ha... had it all the time."

Jun 8, 2016
Of course she deserves to be out, this isn't gymnastics or diving, style doesn't count.
Thanks for informing me of how softball/baseball work. Deserves should have been in quotes and it was being compared to the comment about not deserving to get a hit..

May 16, 2016
Here is rule of thumb for scoring....

If the phrase, "that would have been a great play" pops into your skull.... not an error.

If you have to resist the urge to facepalm after a missed play... probably an error.

If you actually facepalm.... definitely an error.

Oct 14, 2019

If the phrase, "that would have been a great play" pops into your skull.... not an error.

If you have to resist the urge to facepalm after a missed play... probably an error.

nope. definitely face palm when a girl runs in or takes a bad angle and the ball goes over her head. Not an error. Face palm when the wind takes the ball or it gets lost in the sun or the lights. not an error. DD last weekend looked up in LF, lost it in the sun, then made a diving catch when it reappeared. Still a face palm.

Oct 3, 2019

Simple enough

Oct 3, 2019
Because every single play in the game could be blamed on mental error.

It's been explained numerous times in this thread.

There has to be a way written
aka guidelines
to help consistency of doing the stats book.

That's all it's for consistency of doing the stats book.
Let’s just make it easy and call everything a hit. The batter overmatched the fielder, should be some credit for that. 😏

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild