Hit or error?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
nope. definitely face palm when a girl runs in or takes a bad angle and the ball goes over her head. Not an error. Face palm when the wind takes the ball or it gets lost in the sun or the lights. not an error. DD last weekend looked up in LF, lost it in the sun, then made a diving catch when it reappeared. Still a face palm
Spoken like a true OF Dad. Well done.

If they are over 12, and still stepping in on fly balls, and it goes over their head.... yeah. In my book, Error all the way.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
You know what’s stupid - when the pitcher boots a groundball which results in unearned runs for the pitcher. But that’s the rule.

It's not stupid. The pitching stats should not be affected by a fielding miscue, even if it was the pitcher who made the error. Her fielding has nothing to do with her pitching.

Also, I could swear I once saw a note about how most comebackers that aren't fielded cleanly should be scored as hits. I can't find it now though.

Oct 14, 2019
It's not stupid. The pitching stats should not be affected by a fielding miscue, even if it was the pitcher who made the error. Her fielding has nothing to do with her pitching.

Also, I could swear I once saw a note about how most comebackers that aren't fielded cleanly should be scored as hits. I can't find it now though.

maybe not stupid but strange in that the pitcher can blame unearned runs on bad defense when it might be her own bad defense. especially since the genesis of this post is a pitcher’s dad blaming potential charged earned runs on her OF’s mental error.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
maybe not stupid but strange in that the pitcher can blame unearned runs on bad defense when it might be her own bad defense. especially since the genesis of this post is a pitcher’s dad blaming potential charged earned runs on her OF’s mental error.
Well if the pitcher had to blame herself for throwing to bad locations how would that get recorded in the book 😁

EPL= ERROR PITCH LOCATION
Or
EM= ERROR MEATBALL
We can start recording When the pitcher throws a meatball

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Okay, so I'm trying to decide the appropriate call for a play in my daughters HS game yesterday. DD is pitching and gives up a fly ball to CF. The CF totally misreads the ball and takes 2-3 steps in before realizing the ball will now be over her head. She turns and the ball sails over her head landing about one step behind where she started when the ball was hit. The runner wound up on 2B and eventually scored.

I know the girl never got her glove on the ball, but I scored it an error. The opposing team scored it a double on GC. What say you, people?

Having played a fair amount of OF myself, knowing the standard scoring convention, and having seen something very similar happen in yesterday's (or the day before) OU/Texas game, it's a double. Unless we're talking about a "can of corn", there are all sorts of ways an OF can misread a ball. One of the hardest to judge is a line drive coming right at you. I watched Jayda Coleman get fooled yesterday by one that she thought was coming right to her, but flew over her head.

Being a pitcher's dad, I can understand how you might see anything not caught or stopped being somehow an error, but by scoring convention and personal experience, it's not always so easy, and it's still a double.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi