Infield Fly runner kept running - interference?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
Are we also agreed that you are not offering any solutions or willing to be part of any solution?
You are absolutely correct. Be sure to tell us about opening a restaurant the next time you complain about a bad meal since apparently you believe that a person can't point out an issue without being bound to help solve it. ;)

Dec 15, 2018
CT
You are absolutely correct. Be sure to tell us about opening a restaurant the next time you complain about a bad meal since apparently you believe that a person can't point out an issue without being bound to help solve it. ;)

This analogy isn't great. If you have a single bad meal (and complain about it), you can go to a different restaurant, or order something else.

If the "state of restaurants is terrible" - the move would absolutely be to open a good restaurant or at least invest in a good one (or learn how to cook at home/live without restaurants).

Jul 19, 2021
This analogy isn't great. If you have a single bad meal (and complain about it), you can go to a different restaurant, or order something else.

If the "state of restaurants is terrible" - the move would absolutely be to open a good restaurant or at least invest in a good one (or learn how to cook at home/live without restaurants).
I think you get the point.

May 29, 2015
I guess these same umps run for office if they voice a complaint about the current state of politics in this country? Or surely they will open a restaurant if they complain about bad food? ;)
Never opened a restaurant, but I did run for office and was elected, thank you.

May 27, 2022
I think you get the point.

I don't. You have a forum here that is focused/dedicated to Softball. That includes the good, the bad, and the ugly because it is a sport that people here are passionate about.

But all you do is say it sucks and then use a stupid analogy about a restaurant and 'go start your own'. The actual equivalent analogy of a restaurant would be to go to another restaurant - not start your own. But that would equate to that if you don't like what is happening don't do softball and find another activity to do. But that is totally against why people are here.

A better analogy would have been to talk to the manager. Now, that analogy actually offers a solution! If fact, if we are not happy with the service we get with our umpires, we should be able to talk to the AD or the Tournament Director in a calm manner that umpire XXX might benefit from getting help with certain calls or in certain situations.

Jun 8, 2016
I doubt it is the general "lack of competence" that bothers most of these habitual complainers (yeah they may come on here and give some random bad call they saw but that is just to justify the real cause of their angst..). I can pretty much guarantee if every bad call went their way they wouldn't be complaining at all. It is that feeling of "We got screwed!!!", which over the length of the season more than likely won't be the case from a statistical standpoint (but,but they are out to get us!!), that is driving the bitching.

If you want better umpires in TB (and maybe even in school ball..not sure who would eat that cost) ultimately it will come down to costing parents more money and then they will come on here and complain about the skyrocketing cost of tournaments.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021
I don't. You have a forum here that is focused/dedicated to Softball. That includes the good, the bad, and the ugly because it is a sport that people here are passionate about.

But all you do is say it sucks and then use a stupid analogy about a restaurant and 'go start your own'. The actual equivalent analogy of a restaurant would be to go to another restaurant - not start your own. But that would equate to that if you don't like what is happening don't do softball and find another activity to do. But that is totally against why people are here.

A better analogy would have been to talk to the manager. Now, that analogy actually offers a solution! If fact, if we are not happy with the service we get with our umpires, we should be able to talk to the AD or the Tournament Director in a calm manner that umpire XXX might benefit from getting help with certain calls or in certain situations.
Can't fix stupid.

May 29, 2015
I doubt it is the general "lack of competence" that bothers most of these habitual complainers (yeah they may come on here and give some random bad call they saw but that is just to justify the real cause of their angst..). I can pretty much guarantee if every bad call went their way they wouldn't be complaining at all. It is that feeling of "We got screwed!!!", which over the length of the season more than likely won't be the case from a statistical standpoint (but,but they are out to get us!!), that is driving the bitching.

If you want better umpires in TB (and maybe even in school ball..not sure who would eat that cost) ultimately it will come down to costing parents more money and then they will come on here and complain about the skyrocketing cost of tournaments.

First statement … that is the one that bothers me most about people who complain about “bad” umpires. They only complain when it doesn’t go their way. More often, the complaint is that it didn’t go their way. For example, the little old lady that went after my son would not have said a word had her grandson’s team not blown a 4-run lead.

Second statement … and I may take some flak for saying this … it isn’t about more money. More money is the answer that brings in more “bad” umpires because people think it is easy money. The answer is be willing to play fewer games and hire the correct umpires (and the correct number of umpires).

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Second statement … and I may take some flak for saying this … it isn’t about more money. More money is the answer that brings in more “bad” umpires because people think it is easy money. The answer is be willing to play fewer games and hire the correct umpires (and the correct number of umpires).

More money - not to the umpires - but to invest in the umpires.
If some of these sanctions would invest in more training, mentoring programs, maybe some starter equipment, actual recruiting and so forth it would go along way. But they wont because 'they will train them up and then they will go umpire another sanction' - which only happens when you treat them badly.

Yesterday I was offered several opportunities to spends a few thousand dollars to get some additional training.
And was told another sanction is going to go to 'new shirts' for next season in 3 colors which they want me to buy at $45 each.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23