Error or HR?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
College game...Home team batter hits high fly ball to deep OF. Night time...no apparent wind.

OF drifts back to the wall, but isn't running at anything near a sprint. She gets under it, gets her glove up, and the ball falls on her forehand side about 3ft short of what looks like at least a 6ft OF fence. Ball bounces off her glove and over the fence. Scored as a HR (Home team at bat), but if she'd let the ball fall, it would have landed at the base of the wall for, at worst, a double.

Error or HR? Why?

Oct 26, 2019
It’s a 4 base error. Sounds like she should have caught it with ordinary effort. The fact that it went over the fence after doesn’t change that. Glad I’m not that scorer though :)

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
It’s a 4 base error. Sounds like she should have caught it with ordinary effort. The fact that it went over the fence after doesn’t change that. Glad I’m not that scorer though :)

My suspicion is that it would have gone that way had the visiting team been at bat.

Oct 26, 2019
My suspicion is that it would have gone that way had the visiting team been at bat.
It’s happened twice in MLB to my knowledge. Canseco’s was ruled a HR because he was in a full sprint towards the wall. Jo Adell’s was ruled a 4 base error because he should have caught it.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
It’s happened twice in MLB to my knowledge. Canseco’s was ruled a HR because he was in a full sprint towards the wall. Jo Adell’s was ruled a 4 base error because he should have caught it.

Everyone knows the Canseco play, but great pull to bring up the Adell play to show how a similar play could/should be scored differently. Imo, both scorers got the call right in the MLB games. Hard to say without seeing the OP's play, but I think the important thing here that it could be a homer; it could be a 4-base error. A lot of it is up to the judgment of the scorer.

The simple act of the fielder "assisting" the ball over the fence wouldn't in itself be a reason to not call it a home run.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
In the opinion of the official scorer if it took ordinary effort/positioning to record the "out" that didn't happen the fielder should be charged with an error. Extraordinary effort or difficult conditions usually results in the call being a hit. Official scorers are known to make head scratcher calls at times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2