What is scored for batter? Sac Fly or no?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2019
HS game (NFHS)

Runner on 2B, batter hits fly into outfield. CF catches, runner rounds 3B to home. CF throws to home for what should have been a tag out of runner, but catcher drops ball, runner scores.

Obviously an error for the catcher, but how should it be scored for the batter?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
HS game (NFHS)

Runner on 2B, batter hits fly into outfield. CF catches, runner rounds 3B to home. CF throws to home for what should have been a tag out of runner, but drops ball, runner scores.

Obviously an error for the catcher, but how should it be scored for the batter?

No sac fly if a run doesn’t score in NCAA. I would guess HS is the same.

This is from the NCAA

Notes: 1. If the catcherclearlyhastheballinherpossessionbeforetherunnerarrives but drops the ball as the runner comes into home plate, the catcher is charged with an error, and a sacrifice fly and run batted in are not credited to the batter.

Just looked up NFCA and it says the same thing. Sorry about the formatting.

Last edited:

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
I'm still trying to figure out this play...the runner on 2B tagged up on the catch by CF and tried to make it all the way home? And the only throw was from CF to C?? Weird.

May 3, 2019
I'm still trying to figure out this play...the runner on 2B tagged up on the catch by CF and tried to make it all the way home? And the only throw was from CF to C?? Weird.
I'm not exactly sure. I wasn't there and only posted as a favor to one of the player's mother's who was scoring the game in GC. The father of DD who hit the ball was complaining that her hit should have been scored Sac Fly and credited with an RBI.

Jul 14, 2018

It doesn’t sound right. There was probably a cut involved. I’m guessing runner tags at second, advanced to third on the catch, throw going to the cut isn’t clean so the runner tries for home and makes it. Either that, or the CF makes the catch and falls so the runner keeps going.

Either way, credit the batter with a sac fly for advancing the runner but no rbi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 6, 2019
It doesn’t sound right. There was probably a cut involved. I’m guessing runner tags at second, advanced to third on the catch, throw going to the cut isn’t clean so the runner tries for home and makes it.

Credit the batter with a sac fly for advancing the runner but no rbi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope. You only get a sac fly for advancing a runner home.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Runner on 2B less than 2 outs. In most cases, score F8...runner advances to 3B (no sac fly)...scores on the bad throw Home (no RBI).

This is a tough play, and there may or may not be an error at Home. The ball could have been very deep and the runner could be fast...in that case, a sac fly & RBI!

IF the throw Home arrived before the runner but was offline, consider charging an error to the thrower. If it's late, regardless of accuracy, no error (back to sac fly & RBI).

IF the throw was in time AND online, AND the play could have been made had the catcher not dropped the ball, charge an error to the catcher. If it doesn't arrive early enough, it's not an error, even if dropped.

All benefits of any doubt go to towards not charging an error. If the issue is debatable, it's probably not an error.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball