Book keeping question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2022
Runner on 1. Batter hits a bloop single down first base line over the head of 1st base and lands 20 feet in the grass. Clearly a single. Base runner who had broken for second turns around and jogs back to the bag expecting it to be caught. Definite misread by her and the base coach. Finally figures out she needs to be running and ends up getting thrown out at second. How should this be scored? If it is fielders choice that counts as a no hit but it was clearly a single as the runner crossed first before the fielder even got to the ball so why should it count as a no hit for the batter?
I can't find in anywhere and hope someone can help with this call?

Oct 14, 2020
That's a single with a put-out of the runner at second.

EDIT: I'm wrong - it's a Fielder's Choice. Attached from the NCAA Rules, other rule sets are similar.

1652202256904.png

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2015
New England
Runner on 1. Batter hits a bloop single down first base line over the head of 1st base and lands 20 feet in the grass. Clearly a single. Base runner who had broken for second turns around and jogs back to the bag expecting it to be caught. Definite misread by her and the base coach. Finally figures out she needs to be running and ends up getting thrown out at second. How should this be scored? If it is fielders choice that counts as a no hit but it was clearly a single as the runner crossed first before the fielder even got to the ball so why should it count as a no hit for the batter?
I can't find in anywhere and hope someone can help with this call?

Fielder's choice. No single.

It wasn't what softball rules define as ''clearly a single.''

Jun 23, 2020
I have a related question that came up while I was scoring a high school baseball game. Pretty much the exact situation described above: bloop single, runners froze setting up a force at second....except the throw to second base was wide; no out recorded.

I scored it as a FC with an error? Was that correct?

Jun 11, 2013
I have a related question that came up while I was scoring a high school baseball game. Pretty much the exact situation described above: bloop single, runners froze setting up a force at second....except the throw to second base was wide; no out recorded.

I scored it as a FC with an error? Was that correct?
Yes

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ra1449