Hit or error?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
Some scoring rules are subjective. This one isn’t. A misjudged flyball a fielder can’t get to is never an error.

To the people citing MLB and NCAA baseball rules, they’re different sports. Softball has their own rules.

Oct 4, 2018
Off-topic (or maybe not..) I didn't know that you could go into GC and change box scores around without re-scoring the game. I found this out the other day when I just happened to have a box score open and it magically changed after the game..:sneaky:

Fortunately it tells you the person who made "after the game" changes.

So at least you know who the jerk dad is.

May 16, 2016
Some scoring rules are subjective. This one isn’t. A misjudged flyball a fielder can’t get to is never an error.

To the people citing MLB and NCAA baseball rules, they’re different sports. Softball has their own rules.
There is no such rule in NFHS rule book, which is what the OP was scoring. NFHS Softball Case 9.5.5 says a fly ball that should have been caught, can be an error. People citing you need multiple players involved are reading too much into this, as multiple players make it a TEAM error, since no individual player can assigned the error in this example.

2020 NFHS Softball Case Book
9.5.5 Situation B: B1 hits a pop-up behind second base that could easily be caught by either F4 or F6. The ball is not caught. Ruling: Since the ball should have been caught, it is a team error and not a hit.

Jan 22, 2011
143 posts. 2 people claiming it is an error. Everyone else says it's a double.

Case 9.5.5 refers to a "pop-up" not a "fly ball".

From the National Fastpitch Coaches Association scoring guidelines:

https://nfca.org/web_docs/store/ATECBeyondBasicsOfScoring.pdf

1) When in doubt about whether it's an error, give the hitter the benefit of the doubt for a hit.
2) No error is charged if a fly ball is misjudged and the fielder can't recover in time to field it in good position.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
I see no reference to the NFCA in the NFHS rule book. I find no distinction between a fly ball and pop fly in the NFHS rules as well.
Due to the lack of uniformity between sanctioning bodies the NFCA provides universal scoring guidelines. Only the NCAA has their own detailed scoring rules that cover virtually all scenarios. As DaBearspointed out, a pop fly allowed to drop is handled differently than a misjudged fly ball. I understand they sound the same. That’s why it’s helpful for scorers to read and understand both the NFCA and NCAA scoring guidelines/rules.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

Softball scoring is based off OBR. Unless a specific difference is documented somewhere (and there are very, very few differences I've seen, and can't actually quote any offhand), it's fine to default to OBR.

Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
Off-topic (or maybe not..) I didn't know that you could go into GC and change box scores around without re-scoring the game. I found this out the other day when I just happened to have a box score open and it magically changed after the game..:sneaky:
I use gamechanger to go back and find plays for highlight videos. I was quite shocked to find one of the coaches had (on several occasions) changed the stat line on plays where his DD reached on error to a hit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi