Hit or error?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Okay, so I'm trying to decide the appropriate call for a play in my daughters HS game yesterday. DD is pitching and gives up a fly ball to CF. The CF totally misreads the ball and takes 2-3 steps in before realizing the ball will now be over her head. She turns and the ball sails over her head landing about one step behind where she started when the ball was hit. The runner wound up on 2B and eventually scored.

I know the girl never got her glove on the ball, but I scored it an error. The opposing team scored it a double on GC. What say you, people?

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
My DD pitches too, so I know it’s brutal, but that’s a double. It’s a play that should be made. If it happens often, you might need a new CF, but it’s a hit. Fielder misjudged the ball. From the NCAA softball scoring rules. Scored a hit:

14.3.4 When a fly ball is misjudged and the fielder does not recover in time to gain good position.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
See, that's where I disagree, and I'm not just saying so because my daughter was the pitcher. Quite simply, a bad read is just as bad as bobbling a ball.

Let's say the girl recovered enough to get her glove on the ball but still didn't make the play. That gets called an error.

And, if the official scorer at the FSU/Florida game scored that ground ball to 2B a hit, then I don't know what's a hit anymore.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
See, that's where I disagree, and I'm not just saying so because my daughter was the pitcher. Quite simply, a bad read is just as bad as bobbling a ball.

Let's say the girl recovered enough to get her glove on the ball but still didn't make the play. That gets called an error.

And, if the official scorer at the FSU/Florida game scored that ground ball to 2B a hit, then I don't know what's a hit anymore.

Mental errors (in almost every case) are not fielding errors. She misjudged it. That's a mental error.

re: ordinary effort -- At the moment this ball needed to be caught, it would've taken an extraordinary effort to catch it. Granted, that's because she failed to put herself in the right position to catch it. But ordinary effort applies generally to the effort required to catch a ball at the time it needs to be caught. It's not so much about the effort to get into the right position.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Mental errors (in almost every case) are not fielding errors. She misjudged it. That's a mental error.

re: ordinary effort -- At the moment this ball needed to be caught, it would've taken an extraordinary effort to catch it. Granted, that's because she failed to put herself in the right position to catch it. But ordinary effort applies generally to the effort required to catch a ball at the time it needs to be caught. It's not so much about the effort to get into the right position.
Had she not made the mental error, it would've been one or two steps back, max, to catch the ball. That would've been ordinary effort. It was the mental error that made it extraordinary.

Apr 20, 2015
I don’t disagree with your thinking but I agree with everyone else here that the rules say it’s a double. Are the rules wrong maybe but they are what they are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi