Help with this issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
She needs to make some changes. Rather than just giving her mechanical cues to try and change her mechanics see if you can come up with a task/drill that will make her attack the ball differently. She will have to adapt her swing to fit the drill. For instance put the ball on a very low tee in the middle of the plate and ask her to hit line drives over the 'pitchers' head. You can demonstrate it for her, just imitate that Trout swing that Shawn posted above. She needs to get the bat on plane much earlier.
This is great advice. More kids are hurt by over coaching then by under coaching. This will allow you to work on it without getting mechanical. The body is pretty amazing at organizing all on its own to accomplish a task - just gotta find the right task to accomplish what you want.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
@efastball bat drag? I don't see any
2021-1025-drag-0.00.00.00.png

Could be better.

But, I would fix this first, and see if it's still there.
2021-1025-lunge.gif

From toe touch to hip slot (above GIF), her back shoulder and hip should be rotating. They do not, and it's causing her to lunge forward. Her front knee should not be collapsing here. This is the phase where she should be using her body to power the bat around.

So do dry drills (no ball/tee) and drive the back shoulder and elbow down AND around, so the back elbow ends up at belt height (3-4 inches lower), and in front of her body (toward the plate, not behind her).

Manny-toetouch-to-hipslot.gif

I just noticed the person on deck is doing the same thing.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Efast

She is trying to use the body without the hands turning the barrel. So, she is using the body and arms with dead hands, hands are disconnected.

That’s one swing where it could just be timing on that swing. I looked at others and their not that bad.

Apr 11, 2015
Maybe this will help a little

Ugh. Just more armsy push swing inducing instruction. If that coach would just let the turn of his torso/shoulders continue, he'd automatically bring the barrel to where the ball/L-screen should/wound be at contact...instead of stopping the toros/shoulders turn prematurely, and then simply pushing the hands/knob to the "ball".

Talk about disconnection, and teaching simply an arm swing...this drill is it. Let the big muscles do the work of bringing the bat/barrel around to the ball, and allow the hands/arms to guide the bat/barrel to the ball, and release it into it (or not) when it's time.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
There’s no drag. There’s early, active hip rotation. Land square and balanced and use your hands. Get the top hand through like Barry says. Get the top hand extended.

1635270694428.gif

remember this? No active hip rotation. Just well timed hip extension.

1635270588416.gif

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Ugh. Just more armsy push swing inducing instruction. If that coach would just let the turn of his torso/shoulders continue, he'd automatically bring the barrel to where the ball/L-screen should/wound be at contact...instead of stopping the toros/shoulders turn prematurely, and then simply pushing the hands/knob to the "ball".

Talk about disconnection, and teaching simply an arm swing...this drill is it. Let the big muscles do the work of bringing the bat/barrel around to the ball, and allow the hands/arms to guide the bat/barrel to the ball, and release it into it (or not) when it's time.
My interpretation of his presentation is this is a 'feel' for which lower-arm muscles should be engaged in the swing and not a 'drill', especially for the hands.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom