Help with this issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Look at Post 168..she does something similar but it is before the ball is pitched it seems so it just gets her into her setup (which in and of itself could be a problem if it messes up her setup). That said, you don't make a kid a robot either so it is a fine line..
The move during the game is different. Which sets up posture different. then she does a small shift, but the shift is different than what she is doing practice Bp. All I'm trying to say, is if you are trying to make changes then set up even in practice matters. At least IMO, Especially at younger ages.

100% agree not trying to build robots, but my experience (Which isn't much) tells me that young players tend to not realize that they are getting sloppy with things during instruction if the one teaching is not really paying attention. Often times due to more than not, that they are rushing things. I had the same thing happen with DD yesterday. I had to tell her to slow down. I've never met a kid, that wanted to take their time when doing things :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
The move during the game is different. Which sets up posture different. then she does a small shift, but the shift is different than what she is doing practice Bp. All I'm trying to say, is if you are trying to make changes then set up even in practice matters. At least IMO, Especially at younger ages.

100% agree not trying to build robots, but my experience (Which isn't much) tells me that young players tend to not realize that they are getting sloppy with things during instruction if the one teaching is not really paying attention. Often times due to more than not, that they are rushing things. I had the same thing happen with DD yesterday. I had to tell her to slow down.

Don't disagree with any of this.

Nov 26, 2020
We probably do too much close in soft toss in practice which makes her want to be in early load position. We actually flattened out her swing a bit to stop the pop ups and we get this (see video). Which is perfectly on time, on the barrel and then cuts across it losing power. Very frustrating.

Nov 26, 2020
We probably do too much close in soft toss in practice which makes her want to be in early load position. We actually flattened out her swing a bit to stop the pop ups and we get this (see video). Which is perfectly on time, on the barrel and then cuts across it losing power. Very frustrating.

She was safe so better than a pop out.

Oct 2, 2017

Looks pretty good! May have just caught the top half of the ball, still a descent ground ball IMO.

"makes her want to be in early load position." The point I was trying to make is that the front toss "Early Load Position" during Bp, its completely different than Live. Since it is different it is reinforcing different movement and swing paths. Just my opinion

Nov 26, 2020
Looks pretty good! May have just caught the top half of the ball, still a descent ground ball IMO.

"makes her want to be in early load position." The point I was trying to make is that the front toss "Early Load Position" during Bp, its completely different than Live. Since it is different it is reinforcing different movement and swing paths. Just my opinion
I agree we should maybe do more heavy balls pitched from distance instead of soft toss.

Nov 26, 2020
ooks pretty good! May have just caught the top half of the ball, still a descent ground ball IMO.
Personally I think bat path, across the ball, ruins this hit. If she was stronger in her legs even with the bat path, there's no way the second baseman would get to this. When we improve the bat path her miss is a pop out but she carries the ball way further on good hits. It's a conundrum. Which is why I'm ready to subcontract out the posture and rotation work.

Jun 8, 2016
We actually do. I may have to make that commitment.
When Marcela was younger we hit wiffles a lot in the (3 car) garage in the winter (if you don't mind the noise of the balls hitting the garage door it is fine..). I still do that with my younger sons now and when we hit outside at home in the summer we do that as well. Anywhere balls are probably better but a little more expensive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32