HELP! please evaluate my daughters swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
As opposed to TTB immediately. There is to much slop in the barrel as the swing unfolds.

She can't TTB immediately. There is too much slack in the torso. The hands can't leverage. In fact, her leveraging is so bad that she doesn't even extract power from her 'bat drag'. The poor kid ... she's had 6 months of paid coaching, and there is very little in her swing that I would retain.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
She can't TTB immediately. There is too much slack in the torso. The hands can't leverage. In fact, her leveraging is so bad that she doesn't even extract power from her 'bat drag'. The poor kid ... she's had 6 months of paid coaching, and there is very little in her swing that I would retain.

Tell us how you really feel. LOL I really thought this might be a set up. I mean the swing is so poor that I thought OP might be jerking our chain.

Jun 8, 2016
I mean the swing is so poor that I thought OP might be jerking our chain.

and if he is not then this is somebodies kid....

OP, the drill Eric F. suggested is good although I wouldn't necessarily think about pushing your hands back
as you are striding but instead to stretch the upper back (e.g. think about elbowing somebody behind you), which will then in turn move the hands.

To get a feel for using her core better, e.g. coiling around the hip and stretching her upper back, you
might want to start with some no stride swings from max coil like this:

https://twitter.com/jonasfester/status/1091119260401913856

This hitter is coiling around his hip(left hip pocket towards pitcher for lefty) and then stretching behind it using his upper back .
He is removing the "slack", as FFS mentioned. From that position he is launching the barrel ("turning" the barrel e.g. ttb) using the forearms/hands and not the arms.

After working the max coil drill on the tee you can then move to flips from that position, with no stride still. From there you can add
in a stride off the tee, e.g. you can then go to the drill Eric suggested if you want, or just user her regular stance, and think about flowing
into the max coil position as you move (negative and forward moves). Search rocking the U on this forum for another description of that flow
( Lindor's swing in post #38 is a good example of this due to where his hands are when he starts his negative move/gather). Then move
to flips with a stride and try and put it all together.

It is going to take some time, just keep at it and be patient. If she is a good fielder and can run then she has some athletic ability.
Now you just have to get her mechanics to the point where she can utilize that..I feel your pain in that regards..believe me.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal

Sad...but true.

Mar 7, 2019
The tips they're giving in previous replies are great ones, but can be challenging to understand and nearly impossible to instruct your daughter on and assure proper development. Obviously its an investment, but if you are able and willing, I'd strongly suggest some hitting lessons with someone nearby. Ask around for suggestions and give it a try. Keep in mind that even though the lesson is for your DD, you'll also be able to learn as much as she will from someone as experienced as some of the responders to your post which only benefits both of you as you practice at home.

Best of luck and keep working!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The tips they're giving in previous replies are great ones, but can be challenging to understand and nearly impossible to instruct your daughter on and assure proper development. Obviously its an investment, but if you are able and willing, I'd strongly suggest some hitting lessons with someone nearby. Ask around for suggestions and give it a try. Keep in mind that even though the lesson is for your DD, you'll also be able to learn as much as she will from someone as experienced as some of the responders to your post which only benefits both of you as you practice at home.

After 6 months of paid lessons leading to the results we see now, I could understand why the OP might be hesitant to go down that road again.

Nov 18, 2015
That clip is a decent example of what many describe as 'bat drag'.

soonershok -
to put into words what you're seeing in that gif - bat drag is when both elbows get ahead of the hands in the swing - you end up dragging the bat through the zone. VERY prevalent in the youth swing. Ideally, the hands should remain between the elbows (thus the references to turning the triangle, or rock the U) - elbow-hands-elbow, not elbow-elbow-hands.

While it's been argued that the cause is more of a strength issue (since a lot of kids seem to grow out of it), personally I believe it to be more a mechanics issue. The drills suggested by Eric and Pattar should help your daughter learn the correct sequencing - it's not just a matter of moving body parts A, B, & C correctly, it's also a matter of moving A before B, B before C, etc.

Feb 22, 2016

I agree...challenging to understand is an understatement. I'd gladly pay someone to help her. Her last hitting instructor was thru a recommendation so I'm not very trusting on recommendations. Do you all know of anyone good in Oklahoma?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes