HELP! please evaluate my daughters swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Very interesting stuff there. Cabrera destroying that apple was cool. So does the torque generated from initial hip rotation followed by proper positioning of the hands create the bat speed? My daughter is very analytical....do you think a tool that measures bat speed would be helpful for her to see the effects on different motions in swings on bat speed? This question is for all of you.

The way I see it is the initial ‘load’ creates energy from the front shoulder to the back hip to the back heel all the way into the ground. Think of / as this part of the ‘X’. As the mass repositions itself forward, this part \ of the X is created. After these actions have taken place. The core/hips/back are loaded, leveraged and ready to hit FB and adjust to Offspeed.

Imo this must be done sequentially so it will be kinetic and reactive (effortless) with an attachment to the ground with the back foot or early power and mechanical leakage using the wrong muscles will ensue. imo.

Now I don’t view this as some POWER sequence. But more about getting the mass repositioned and in an advantageous position to hit any pitch in the zone(aka dynamically balanced). A balanced ‘hitting position’ on time is the goal imo.

Power to me is relative to the player, their intent and timing.

As far as the hands go. They kinetically load during the ‘forward move’ which loads the barrel to ultimately whip the barrel. Think kinetic chain.

This is how I explain to students or parents wanting to understand.
Here’s Mookie, look for the X as well as the hands GETTING loaded kinetically.

https://twitter.com/hyattcraig/status/1054928486790393856?s=21

Other may differ, but this is how I see it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Very interesting stuff there. Cabrera destroying that apple was cool. So does the torque generated from initial hip rotation followed by proper positioning of the hands create the bat speed? My daughter is very analytical....do you think a tool that measures bat speed would be helpful for her to see the effects on different motions in swings on bat speed? This question is for all of you.

Having used such devices with many hitters, my input is that the awe of 'bat speed' wears off relatively quick.

The flight of the ball never lies.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Having used such devices with many hitters, my input is that the awe of 'bat speed' wears off relatively quick.

The flight of the ball never lies.

For sure. Few BP sessions are as satisfying for my DD as front toss on a real field when her swing is working well. None are as frustrating when it's not.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
For sure. Few BP sessions are as satisfying for my DD as front toss on a real field when her swing is working well. None are as frustrating when it's not.

Many of the hitters I work with will routinely ask to hit on the field. It's a lot of fun to hit liners. I have only had one hitter that wanted their bat speed continuously measured ... ... ... and while that particular hitter got their bat speed up to 98mph, they were not largely successful in terms of squaring the ball routinely.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Many of the hitters I work with will routinely ask to hit on the field. It's a lot of fun to hit liners. I have only had one hitter that wanted their bat speed continuously measured ... ... ... and while that particular hitter got their bat speed up to 98mph, they were not largely successful in terms of squaring the ball routinely.

That's the trap of data. You can't lose sight of the bigger picture - game performance. Nothing matters more in hitting than the athletic skill of consistently lining up a moving round object with another moving round object at the right time. This reminds me of Cannonball's DD. He said many times that she wasn't very athletic. That may be true in the general sense of what people consider "athletic". However, she excelled at this one particular athletic skill...and it paid for her college.

May 12, 2016

Haha, that's so true Eric! A session of glanced hits and not squaring up the ball ends up in my DD becoming a ball of frustration. Then again, she's a driven individual, ....if only her dad had the knowledge and sense to get her to the next level, lol

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"hitter got their bat speed up to 98mph" Is that exit velo or bat speed or an exaggeration? 98 mph bat speed would Mike Troutish!!!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
"hitter got their bat speed up to 98mph" Is that exit velo or bat speed or an exaggeration? 98 mph bat speed would Mike Troutish!!!

Bat speed .....

Zepp-Jade-X.jpg

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's the trap of data. You can't lose sight of the bigger picture - game performance. Nothing matters more in hitting than the athletic skill of consistently lining up a moving round object with another moving round object at the right time. This reminds me of Cannonball's DD. He said many times that she wasn't very athletic. That may be true in the general sense of what people consider "athletic". However, she excelled at this one particular athletic skill...and it paid for her college.

Any measurement, by itself, can provide results that are questionable. But when you review various measurements all at the same time, it provides a clearer picture. One tool we have found useful from Zepp is the 3d animator that allows you to watch hand patch, barrel path, and contact point. That all said, I to prefer hitting on an open field whenever possible. Unfortunately I would not recommend hitting on an open field in PA between December and February... I use the other data sparingly...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma