Does anyone besides me teach these things?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hal I'm sure you were a good pitcher, I just don't think the "sneaky tricks" in your book is what made you a good pitcher. Having read your book I won't be teaching about 90% of what's in that book to my DD.

I am very glad to hear that. There are dozens of things to choose from in my book. ALL A PITCHER NEEDS IS TWO OR MAYBE THREE OF THEM to be much more successful.

Just pick a few, practice them and watch how the batters respond. You dont have to use all of them. My favorites that I used were the ones that can be done so subtly that you cant even tell what is happening,

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
And after three years of pitching coach instruction, the parents finally realize their daughter is just another pitcher. Nothing special, noworse than the last one, no better than the next.

I never turned out a student that was just like all the others. That is why they were successful.

Maybe the parents should sit back and start comparing their pitcher / daughter to the other pitchers in their area. See any differences what the others do compared to what your kid does. You might not be quite as happy with your instructor after that.

There are many thing hitters cannot be trained to defend against and deal with. Has she been taught ANY of those things?

Is your kid being trained to be just another pitcher? I never settled for that as an instructor. As a parent, you shouldnt either.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The best deception is pitch that doesn't end up where the batter expects.

So a pitch that does not arrive as soon or faster than the batter EXPECTS, is not just as effective as a location they dont expect?

The batters are trained to hit what they see and what they expect to see. The secret to tactical pitching is to make the batters believe something other than what the expect to see. They expect to see what they have been trained to see . Any deviations from what they have been trained to look for and react to, they dont respond well or they do not have time to react to it.

Tactical pitching is all about making the batters do exactly what a pitcher wants to happen.

There are many advantages between piitchers and batters. One will have an advantage, an edge, the other will not. As a pitcher, you either keep the advantage to yourself, or give it away to be used against you. WHY WOULD A PITCHER WANT TO GIVE AWAY ANY ADVANTAGE AT ALL? That would be pretty stupid in my opinion.

Taactical pitching teaches a pitcher to create those little advantages and keep them for themselves.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
Like the underhand "fairy-wave" after the change up, and the dreaded "Nose-Pick" distraction after Rise Ball..........

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Beats the handcuff the elbow to the back leg, let the forearm go limp like a wet noodle, throw sidearm and call THAT an arm whip! HAHAHA

No wonder your students parents have to keep coming back on the board with all the problems they have from using your advice.

I'm waiting for all the reports of your advice causing lower back problems to start hitting here too. It's just a matter of time.

But, I have no doubt your reply will be she needs to work on her core strength more.

Of course.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
No wonder your students parents have to keep coming back on the board with all the problems they have from using your advice.

That's exactly why people come here and seek my advice Skinner........There aren't looking for the "pick your nose" distractions you teach to make up for your lack of ability to teach pitching........I'd probably teach that crap too if I had no other way to compete with real pitching instruction.........

I'm waiting for all the reports of your advice causing lower back problems to start hitting here too. It's just a matter of time.

I'm sure that's truly your wish.........Maybe you should "hold your breath" until that happens.......

You're a sad old dude Skinner........

But, I have no doubt your reply will be she needs to work on her core strength more.

I leave core strength training to strength trainers.........I teach pitching.........

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
So a pitch that does not arrive as soon or faster than the batter EXPECTS, is not just as effective as a location they dont expect?

The batters are trained to hit what they see and what they expect to see. The secret to tactical pitching is to make the batters believe something other than what the expect to see. They expect to see what they have been trained to see . Any deviations from what they have been trained to look for and react to, they dont respond well or they do not have time to react to it.

Tactical pitching is all about making the batters do exactly what a pitcher wants to happen.

There are many advantages between piitchers and batters. One will have an advantage, an edge, the other will not. As a pitcher, you either keep the advantage to yourself, or give it away to be used against you. WHY WOULD A PITCHER WANT TO GIVE AWAY ANY ADVANTAGE AT ALL? That would be pretty stupid in my opinion.

Taactical pitching teaches a pitcher to create those little advantages and keep them for themselves.

100% agree. Great point about not only the location, but the timing. Well said.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Dewds,
Spend less energy on each other and more on helping the rest of us figure out this stuff. Sheesh--hit the ignore button on each other.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish