Does anyone besides me teach these things?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Skill = the ability, coming from one's knowledge, practice, aptitude, etc., to do something well"

Changing speed and this particulart tactic must be practiced. Therte is no difference.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
"AND that little trick may work in 10, 12, or low level 14u but in competitive 16 and 18u and especially college this TRICK would be useless. Just like using a submarine and windmill, trying to throw off hitters. "

Then you need to talk to Joan Joyce, ASA Hall of Fame piotcher because that is EXACTLY what she did she used the slingshot and windmill when she pitched.

One of the winningest pitchers in history, but her tactics surely couldnt work past the 14u level huh?

OK, Rioght.

Dec 9, 2011
Hal just wondered if those 12 yo whispered that no one could hear how did you know? Oh and Coach Joyce, fantastic lady and coach, would not have nothing to do with your little tactics.

Feb 7, 2013
Skill = the ability, coming from one's knowledge, practice, aptitude, etc., to do something well"

Changing speed and this particulart tactic must be practiced. Therte is no difference.

So using your logic, players in the dugout on offense can use their skill and practice in banging a cow bell every time the other team pitches the ball, would be the same as the players using their skill and practicing to hit home runs. Both should be acceptable in the game of fastpitch and there is no difference between the two?

I'll gracefully bow out of this thread now......

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The runner called time and told her coach, who told the blue behind the plate. Thats when I heard about it. It happened more than once that game, along with a hard tag to the head by the same girl playing 2nd base.

They were from outside the area and this was apperently an acceptable thing in their area.

Dec 20, 2012
"AND that little trick may work in 10, 12, or low level 14u but in competitive 16 and 18u and especially college this TRICK would be useless. Just like using a submarine and windmill, trying to throw off hitters. "

Then you need to talk to Joan Joyce, ASA Hall of Fame piotcher because that is EXACTLY what she did she used the slingshot and windmill when she pitched.

One of the winningest pitchers in history, but her tactics surely couldnt work past the 14u level huh?

OK, Rioght.

In one thread you say to not watch the best pitchers in the world and do. Now you say watch Joyce because she was one of the best ever? Make up your mind. I'm sure she was great, never met the lady. But there are reasons things like that are not practiced today. They may work in a fluke situation but that is it. If all these "tactics" you preach worked so well then every D1 coach in the country would buy your book. Get rich quick books are scams. Lose 100 lbs in a week books are scams. And, well I'll stop there.

Bush league- Below good standards, not good or incorrect. Pitiful, poor, terrible, awful, bad, sucky,

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
So using your logic, players in the dugout on offense can use their skill and practice in banging a cow bell every time the other team pitches the ball, would be the same as the players using their skill and practicing to hit home runs. Both should be acceptable in the game of fastpitch and there is no difference between the two?

I'll gracefully bow out of this thread now......

I wouldnt like it, it would give me a headache. If it was O)NLY rang during the windup, dont think that would be legal, not certain.

However, I saw a video of a college team that had someone in the dugout banging on two kettle drums the entire game, non-stop. Apperently if you make a loud noise nonm-stop, while both teams are in the field, it IS legal, apperently.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2011
slingnit actually the slingshot pitch wasn't or isn't a tactic. I've seen several slingshot pitchers to this day. Have met Coach Joyce several times being at her camps or after games. She coaches at FAU and was at her camp this past December. If you get a chance talk to her. Fantastic... She was not only softball but several different sports.

Jul 14, 2008
Next, think about the batter and their 'Line of sight'. You release the ball at the hip and the batter is staring at your hip. Now you throw a slow change up. The instant you release the ball, you keep your throwing hand in the batters line of sight, down low, and you quickly wave good bye three times. That hand movement is extremely distracting to the batter. If you can distract them for 1/2 a second, they will not perform well at all.

Oh my gaud Skinner........I can't believe you even posted this crap........

I'm assuming you were also a coach who screamed "LOOK OUT" from the dugout as the ball was half way to the plate........Totally legal you know.........Or maybe screamed "LOOK OUT" to a 3rd baseman headed toward the dugout fence on a foul fly ball......Totally legal you know........

Let me give you people some sound advise..........RESPECT THE GAME........RESPECT ITS PLAYERS.........RESPECT THE INTEGRITY OF THE GAME OF SOFTBALL........BEAT THE OTHER TEAM WITH HEART AND TRAINING AND RESPECT........

If you run up against people who read Skinners books.........Beat them because you are better athletes with more talent, more heart and more INTEGRITY for the game of SOFTBALL the way it was intended........

Then RUB IT IN THEIR FACES as hard as you can after you do........

One thing I'll tell you.........Skinner will never be in my foresome at a golf course........Because it takes honesty, integrity and personal accountability to play that sport..........JUST LIKE SOFTBALL.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy