DD swing any progress?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Dont get frustrated.

Too many opinions, hard to sort it all out. I would probably go to your first posts. Take a couple of opinions by posters you believe in and ignore the rest.

If you have a few people saying the same correction then, be a good place to start.

Good Luck.

I will step out of it. PM me if you want help in the future.

SL

I can understand the frustration. It does appear that Rdbass has been trying to implement ideas. Notice the white rag tied to a tee. Notice the bending at he knees and waist routine. Notice the Elvis move and lack of eversion. His daughter has mastered these ideas and is telling us that he's frustrated. Now someone is advocating tilt and turn? Hope it all works out for the best.

May 13, 2008
Laurahit5.MOD - YouTube Still working on Laura's swing.Does it show any improvement?Comments and suggestions welcomed.Thanks.

Yes, I see improvement. When you widened the stance, what did you notice? Did it have any effect that you saw/heard and she felt?

b61uzm.png

Last week at toe touch

2wd8193.png

This week at toe touch

I'm also pretty happy with where she is at PoC. There are some things to work on leading up to that, and after that, but if you were to judge just based off of this pic, it would be good...

144bl79.png

Laura PoC

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I can understand the frustration. It does appear that Rdbass has been trying to implement ideas. Notice the white rag tied to a tee. Notice the bending at he knees and waist routine. Notice the Elvis move and lack of eversion. His daughter has mastered these ideas and is telling us that he's frustrated. Now someone is advocating tilt and turn? Hope it all works out for the best.

You have to blame me fine. Pat yourself on the back, your good at it. You still in 3000 posts have not shown 1 thing you teach or do.

I posted my dd's swing for all to see.

SL

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Rdbass
To clarify some of the things in the video.

Going to a bustos/carrier clinic would make some of these things alot easier to understand.

The sequence is Bend at waist, barely soften knees. Will make a video for you this week
Howard uses a white rag glued inside of the tee underneath ball. He does that because many girls lift the head early in the swing

Kind of like keeping your head down when hitting golf balls. The force of the swing will pull the head out.

SL

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I had to post even after I said I would just lurk.I am the one to blame.No other other person. What I have been doing with my DD Laura I have read and watched on DFP .Straightleg is not to blame. I have never had a private instruction or PM from straightleg until yesterday.I have been trying a lot of peoples suggestions that have posted on this forum.The problem is how I wrongly interpreted the suggestions.Straightleg along with a couple of other posters happen to have DD around my DD age.So if it appears that anyone is coaching or guiding me they are not.I just want to make it clear I am the one and the only one to blame for my misunderstaning of the information that was posted on DFP.I was trying to learn from everyone and was trying to make it simple for my DD.I will continue to learn from everyone who posts.Thanks.

Oct 25, 2009
As far as the bending at the waist, soften the knees instruction, that is good advice; a quick way to gain that same posture is to simply stick your butt out. Your weight will be felt mostly on the balls of the feet. And a good cue that the girls can relate to comes from a recent song lyric, "what you gonna do with all that junk?". Referring to the butt.

Look at practically ALL the D1 and pro batters and notice how they have their butts out.

As far as tilt, I have the tee set at or below the knees, low, low, low. And expect line drives or rising drives. Not grounders, not pop flies.

Wide stride, as if she's throwing the ball from outfield. Tell her how it feels to her should take priority over how it looks. How it feels to her; not how it looks to others.

Oct 19, 2009
When I first started reading post on this form there was so much information and so many posters who claimed to be this and that. I did not know one from the other so I did as I usually do which is to test the information myself and see if it works. If it did I used it, if it did not make sense or if I felt like it would not accomplishing my objectives then I threw it away.

If you question the head down at contact try it for yourself and see which way works the best. Being in balance and in a position of strength at contact is so important to get maximum impact on the ball. We are talking about young softball players not major league baseball players.

I use a lot of Howard/Hitters information, the other day we were facing a great pitcher very fast and she was mowing down batter after batter. First at bat daughter strikes out, second at bat muscles a pitch to opposite field for a hit third bat she rifles one against the fence.

On the way home she says that EEEEEEEEE R stuff really works. I asked what do you mean? She says the drill we do with soft toss using the EEEEEEEEE R (one of Howards drills) I used it at bat against this girl, I thought in my head EEEEEEEEE R and adjusted for her speed and took out an E or two and I was able to time her, where I was late the first time at bat.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Softballphreak gave some excellent advice IMO when he wrote “One vital part in my opinion is that you have to feel it for yourself as you try to pass it on to your DD.”

A couple examples …

Your daughter swings with a white rag on the tee. Had you taken this for a test drive first then you probably would have screened out that advice.

Your daughter uses a bobbing for apples like setup sequence (below) … had you taken this for a test drive first then you may have given this a second thought as well.

keu1c4.gif

You are to be applauded for trying these things out … that puts you well ahead of many that simply aren't putting in the time you are ..... but Softballphreak is right on the money when he recommends testing this out on yourself first. He's basically suggesting that you perform more screening prior to having your daughter work with things.

The Hanson Prinicple is a big help in terms of screening out well-intended, yet not overly helpful advice. Picking up a bat and going through the process … including facing fast pitching … is also a good filter.

The rag in the tee is nothing more than keeping the head down at contact. We do not promote that the head is at the tee thru the entire swing. We track the ball with our eyes to the point of contact that is what the rag is for. What happens in golf when the head is pulled out early? The same thing happens in a SB/BB swing.

Many people myself included have tried and used the bending at the waist and softening the knees and found it extremely beneficial for balance. The bobbing for apples as you call it is no different than what some call the butt sticking out on the hitter. If I were a new parent just reading your post it would seem you subscribe to standing with your butt tucked on straight legs. Not a very athletic stance in any sport. Except maybe for golf . But I dont instruct golf swings.

The Hanson principle filter seems to get clogged on certain points, like stride or no stride. Which shows me it is no more or less effective than many other posts I see on here. What I would look for is a successful college or npf swing and try to simulate that.
As thats where the parents and instructors dd,d are trying to get to.

That is probably over simplification and I realize that is a bad thing for a discussion board. But to me its just plain common sense.

Tim

Oct 25, 2009
Laurahit5.MOD - YouTube Still working on Laura's swing.Does it show any improvement?Comments and suggestions welcomed.Thanks.

I downloaded this and watched it over and over in slow motion. She's coming along just fine. Keep her front hip pocket showing to the pitcher as she strides. That will keep her from uncoiling too early.

She's looking pretty good but make sure she feels the power and control for herself. Again, feel trumps appearance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish