DD swing any progress?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Be careful when you talk balance that this doesn't happen. I often see the girls bend at the waist and soften the knees and then sink back down and become more erect at the waist again like they are sitting down on a bench. If you put a bat under their butt where the ham string and butt comes together they will feel like they are sitting on the bat and that is not what we want them to feel.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Quote" If the chin is a reference point, we would say if the chin was above the horizon or below the horizon we would have our head tilted up slightly which would be above the horizon and tilted downward to be below the horizon. Have the hitter get balanced as described above and place their hands palm to palm with their elbows in at their side by their ribs with their head tilted up slightly. This is Howard's words and not the head down. It is amazing on here how some of you take things out on content. I could post 100 pictures and use RVP showing hittier after hitter with the chin like this. As Steve Huff posted try it and see if you are stronger, instead of posting pictures showing something you have no clue how it works. The test" Now repeat and this time have them tilt their head forward slightly and push down on their hands and you will feel much more resistance and some hitters you will not be able to move very much if at all. The reason for the additional resistance is the intrinsic muscles are activated with the head tilted down slightly or the chin is below the horizon. These muscles are located on either side of the spine. To prove this have the hitter reach behind them at about the belt line with their thumbs and raise and lower their head and they will feel the intrinsic muscles firm up when the head is down and loosen up with the head tilted upward or the chin above the horizon. Now have them grip the bat and pretend like they are hitting a ball off a tee and stop and hold their position and take your baby finger and push rearward with their head up and you will feel little to no resistance and then repeat with their head down slightly and you and the hitter will feel the resistance! When hitting during soft toss or off a tee you will hear the difference in the sound the bat makes when their head is down slightly. We put a white rag inside the tee to promote keeping the head down after contact with the ball. When soft tossing put an object on the plate to promote keeping the head down during contact. " Like many post on here try something before you try to prove it wrong! You might learn something.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Thats what my DD is/was doing.She will quickly bend down then, pop up, soften the knees.You are so right she looks like she is sitting on a bench or a stool.Video is there for all to see what not to do.She looks like as described ''bobbing for apples"Told her to take the stance of a bball player guarding someone.Thought it was better last video,but I think/know her knees are to bent.Will work on this tonight.Thanks

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
rdbass, take it one step at a time. I had a girl doing this on me this weekend, so it is easy to overlook the setting on the bench.. She was also trying to coil, but was turning her shoulders. I like telling them to think of the shoulder and arms as wings on an airplane. Coil the belly button towards the catcher, but don't move your wings. They seem to understand terms like this better.

Feb 14, 2010
The way Howard teaches dynamic balance is truly impressive. I've had him personally do it to myself and the difference is amazing. One of the biggest things my DD & I learned from him. IMO it should be an absolute in teaching hitting. There is something to be learned from many different camps.

Aug 31, 2010
Tallmadge, Ohio
rdbass, My DD was were yours is now! When DD first learned bend at the waist and soft at the knees it was just as mechanical as I see in your video. It's all about time and reps. if you look at my DD now she isn't mechanical at all. You also need to be a filter for your DD with all the comments of this forum, there are some VERY helpful posters and others that just want to try and make themselves look better than the next guy. When Leonardo da Vinci got his Crayolas out for the first time and took the drawing test in the back of Readers Digest I bet it didn't look anything like the Mona Lisa, be patient. I put my DD video on this forum to pick up stuff me and her instructor miss, and there is helpful and some not so just take the one not so with a grain of salt and move on. With time and a caring dad she will get there.

One more thing she will probably get worst before she gets better, your feeding her a lot of information and it does get overwhelming. Like the saying how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!

Good Luck!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The Englishbey "tilt swing" follows the Nyman PCR method and is a variant of what Candrea refers to as a "gate" swing. It is a pattern that can work in fast pitch, but is different from the HLBB swing and different from overhand throw.. the fundamentals should not be mixed or learning will be degraded.

The Nyman model involves tangential pull of the knob with potential for hooking the handpath which causes additonal acceleration via what Nyman described (setpro.com forum/ebooks) as "momentum/inertia transformer step up".

In golf this has been called "parametric acceleration", see Miura:

Parametric acceleration – the effect of inward pull of the golf club at impact stage - Miura - 2001 - Sports Engineering - Wiley Online Library

This mechanical model lacks the early batspeed/late adjustability of the MLBB pattern optimized for MLB pitching vs woodbat hitting.

If you go for the tilt/gate swing, do not try to emulate the movements of MLB elite hitters in detail since this will mix patterns to the detriment of both.

Perhaps this article may be helpful ... Losing Your Spine Angle :: Oceanic Time Warner Cable's AroundHawaii.com

Now here’s a surprise. The fact is there aren’t many guys on tour who actually “retain the spine angle” throughout the swing.

[…..]

In reality, it is the lateral bending of the spine that causes the appearance of retaining one’s spine angle.

11javkj.jpg

[….]

If you’re going to rotate your body correctly, you want to have lateral bending and lordosis.

[….]

The reality is, one cannot hold their lumbar spine stable and create full body rotation in a golf swing. It is impossible to disobey spine mechanics and move correctly.

[….]

The bottom line is that misdiagnosing this fairly common problem won’t help you fix it just as going to a speech pathologist wasn’t going to solve my shyness problem. So be mindful of this when your instructor tells you to retain your spine angle. It’s just an illusion.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I am just taking ownership of my DD swing and I blame myself. Making sure that Straightleg isn’t getting blamed for me interpreting what he posted and performing it incorrectly. If you perceive that good hitters have their eyes fixated at the point of contact, then continue on with that. I believe hitters track the ball with their heads in a fixed position and track the ball with there eyes moving. If you perceive that good hitters use a movement pattern that has them bending their waist and knees in the manner demonstrated, then continue on with that. I believe that a hitter has to find dynamic balance in their stance with a slight bend at the waist and just a little bend in the knees. It has to feel right for the hitter. It has to be her style. If you perceive that good hitters bypass eversion using an Elvis move, then continue on with that. I know she needs to learn the ‘MOVE” we are building up to that. I wanted her to get the forward by coiling down first. Then we would work a longer stride which I believe will get her to use the “move”. If the next step towards improvement is to tilt and turn, then move forward with that. I know she needs to be doing everything down stream right first to get to the point of learning how to tilt. I believe you just don’t tilt and then turn. I think there is more to tilting then just that? I do know my DD doesn’t tilt in her swing, but swings level shoulders which I know is not correct. It’s a journey … there will be steps forward and steps backward ... and your objective is to make more steps forward and minimize the steps backward. Well there lies the problem. Video shows that we are taking more steps backwards then forward. The frustration is what I interpret to be correct, and then finding out that it is not. Like I have said in numerous post I am here to learn.Thanks to everyone who has reached out to help.

I truly see the frustration.

Not that it should be a focus at this point ... but the book I mentioned earlier concluded that there are multiple ways to track a ball, and that the optimal way to track a ball was to include both head movement and eye movement ... in that order.

The bending pattern you are using is interesting. Is that what you see being used in the better hitters? It isn't what Crystl uses ... and I personally like Crystl's dynamic loading sequence ... her anterior tilt is performed dynamically and it provides an attractive loading pattern. However, if you like this ... then that's fine ... go with it.

I'm not following a focus on 'the move' followed by a focus on 'stride'. I personally think a focus on 'stride' would in part erase the earlier effort.

We all respect the notion of taking steps backward on the journey. Truly ... the Hanson Prinicple is helpful in avoiding taking steps backward ... and the earlier advice to 'feel' what you are passing down to your daughter is also very good advice IMO. If you are frustrated, then just imagine how your daughter feels when she is told one thing this week, and then is brought in a different direction next week. That's why people have developed filters.

May 13, 2008
The bending pattern you are using is interesting. Is that what you see being used in the better hitters? It isn't what Crystl uses ... and I personally like Crystl's dynamic loading sequence ... her anterior tilt is performed dynamically and it provides an attractive loading pattern. However, if you like this ... then that's fine ... go with it.

The 'bending pattern', as you call it, is something the Crystl teaches, as it is an important part of getting in the proper stance. Crystl herself does not specifically perform it, but she gets into the end position on her own. She has addressed this at clinics and has said, (and I am paraphrasing here) that after many thousands of swings she knows how to get balanced in her swing and doesn't have to bend at the waist and then the knees anymore.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The 'bending pattern', as you call it, is something the Crystl teaches, as it is an important part of getting in the proper stance. Crystl herself does not specifically perform it, but she gets into the end position on her own. She has addressed this at clinics and has said, (and I am paraphrasing here) that after many thousands of swings she knows how to get balanced in her swing and doesn't have to bend at the waist and then the knees anymore.

Yes, it is very true that Crystl does not perform what is being taught here. She uses a much more powerful dynamic loading pattern.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd