DD swing any progress?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Straightleg, Rdbass ….. it is not about placing blame. Don’t waste time there. Instead, focus on what you are doing and have a plan towards continued improvement.

If you perceive that good hitters have their eyes fixated at the point of contact, then continue on with that. If you perceive that good hitters use a movement pattern that has them bending their waist and knees in the manner demonstrated, then continue on with that. If you perceive that good hitters bypass eversion using an Elvis move, then continue on with that. If the next step towards improvement is to tilt and turn, then move forward with that.

Some degree of frustration is to be anticipated. Using the Hanson Principle helps reduce the frustration IMO. Adding the testing of what is being passed onwards to the hitter as another screen that to assist with the Hanson Principle in filtering out the promotion of concepts that could lead to frustration. It’s a journey … there will be steps forward and steps backward ... and your objective is to make more steps forward and minimize the steps backward.

Last edited:
May 13, 2008
Softballphreak gave some excellent advice IMO when he wrote “One vital part in my opinion is that you have to feel it for yourself as you try to pass it on to your DD.”

A couple examples …

Your daughter swings with a white rag on the tee. Had you taken this for a test drive first then you probably would have screened out that advice.

Your daughter uses a bobbing for apples like setup sequence (below) … had you taken this for a test drive first then you may have given this a second thought as well.

keu1c4.gif

You are to be applauded for trying these things out … that puts you well ahead of many that simply aren't putting in the time you are ..... but Softballphreak is right on the money when he recommends testing this out on yourself first. He's basically suggesting that you perform more screening prior to having your daughter work with things.

The Hanson Prinicple is a big help in terms of screening out well-intended, yet not overly helpful advice. Picking up a bat and going through the process … including facing fast pitching … is also a good filter.

Instead of comparing how she bent at the waist and softened the knees to last week, why not to this week?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I am just taking ownership of my DD swing and I blame myself. Making sure that Straightleg isn’t getting blamed for me interpreting what he posted and performing it incorrectly. If you perceive that good hitters have their eyes fixated at the point of contact, then continue on with that. I believe hitters track the ball with their heads in a fixed position and track the ball with there eyes moving. If you perceive that good hitters use a movement pattern that has them bending their waist and knees in the manner demonstrated, then continue on with that. I believe that a hitter has to find dynamic balance in their stance with a slight bend at the waist and just a little bend in the knees. It has to feel right for the hitter. It has to be her style. If you perceive that good hitters bypass eversion using an Elvis move, then continue on with that. I know she needs to learn the ‘MOVE” we are building up to that. I wanted her to get the forward by coiling down first. Then we would work a longer stride which I believe will get her to use the “move”. If the next step towards improvement is to tilt and turn, then move forward with that. I know she needs to be doing everything down stream right first to get to the point of learning how to tilt. I believe you just don’t tilt and then turn. I think there is more to tilting then just that? I do know my DD doesn’t tilt in her swing, but swings level shoulders which I know is not correct. It’s a journey … there will be steps forward and steps backward ... and your objective is to make more steps forward and minimize the steps backward. Well there lies the problem. Video shows that we are taking more steps backwards then forward. The frustration is what I interpret to be correct, and then finding out that it is not. Like I have said in numerous post I am here to learn.Thanks to everyone who has reached out to help.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I would still like to see her do this simple action that Slaught does in this clip (ignore the big red words) with a slight emphasis on keeping the front foot closed all the way to toe touch as mentioned by softballphreak. Use a ball at first. She doesn't have to throw the ball if she doesn't want to. Remember, when the hands break they should break palms down or even palms facing slightly back.

2j0dxyc.gif

Oct 19, 2009
PEPPERS - could you explain what the EEEEEE R drill is? Thanks!!

There was a video posted by I think SBFAMILY where his daughter was hitting soft toss and there were using the verbal Q of EEEEEEEE to load and R to swing. We actually started using it from the tee to get my daughter the feeling of using the Q of EEEEEEE R.

We load or begin movement when the pitcher starts her wind up, slow to load, soft to step EEEEEEEE and explode through the ball R. We begin the swing (front heel plant) R when the pitcher is at release, adjustment comes at the speed of the pitch and different motions of the pitchers.

We use it in other forms of practice when I pitch to her using a pitching motion, she is hitting and I also stand in front of her and go through a pitching motion and she dry swings I use this Q. I may start by using it out loud then I have her saying it silently to herself during the drills.

I guess daughter never thought to use this Q in her head in a game until the other day and it worked for her in timing this good fast pitcher. :cool:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Wellphyt,
I will have her do it tonight.Do you want video of this? Do you want it done exactly like Slaught?

Sep 17, 2009
Redbass, keep on working, progress comes over time. It is nerve-wracking putting your DD's swing on the Internet but you are doing it for the right reasons. Your DD has a summer, fall and off-season before she even reaches high school tryouts -- which you said was her goal.

Will she be better by then if you keep working with her, trying new things, throwing some out, trying others? Or better if she doesn't keep working?

No brainer, right? Keep going at it, she's getting better every day.

I sort of "criticized" the bend at waist soften knees stance in an earlier post. I'll try to be more constructive, because from what I see and feel it's a Q that can have a good result or not. I don't think your daughter has established as you call it dynamic balance after she takes these steps and as shown in FFS's GIF. Easiest way to determine is to take two fingers and push her chest. Does she fall over? I think your DD probably would.

So...instead of rushing the bend and soften, as I think she does, have her think about doing it slowly. Bend over the plate at the waist and then slowly sort of **settle into** her pre-stance by putting her butt out and bending her knees. Wiggle her butt as she does this settling in and maybe shift her weight a little foot to foot a couple of times, very lightly. Have her feel how she now has created balance and the ability to control her weight shift. Have her think about establish a strong base as she does it. Casey in her videos (SL's DD?) does it well.

Right now, your DD is a bit mechanical: bend-bend-go. Maybe a bit of nerves. Maybe just because it's tee work and sometimes we tend to rush tee swings.

As I understand it, the soften bend idea helps to engage the body in the right order, but it's not a magic pill. Make it the start of a conscious pre-drill balance and rhythm routine that readies her to start early and slow and you'll be there....IMHO.

Good luck.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
RichK,
Thanks,you are right I have, we have been rushing the stance part.I took for granted that she was balanced.So I know now that I was bypassing the important step.Everything starts from a balance stance.I will pay more attention to this step.I will do as you and others have suggested.I also knew by posting my DD on the internet she was fair game.I knew from reading previous post that a swing from early on could be reposted.I was OK with that.I just was kind of frustrated when someone comments "do you really want your DD doing this or that?" with no suggestion on what or why not do this or that.I have read older posts such as Megan1-tee and the help she received was great and informative.The patiences posters had back then was wonderful.Must have been happy better times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd