DD swing any progress?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Personally I'd place the white rag in a different location.

There is an entire book on the subject ... "Keep Your Eye On The Ball" by Watts and Bahill. You should not be fixated on the tee.

May 16, 2010
DD would like the bat knob pointed at the catchers knee.I don't like the bat wrap she has in her swing.Seen this before in past swings.When I showed her and asked why she has the bat like this.She explains that she is trying to hit the ball hard.The white rag is there so DD keeps her head tilted down at the tee.Something to look at after ball leaves tee.Not working because she does not tilt her body,but swings level.We will continue to work on getting her to tilt her back shoulder down through out her swing.Thanks for the help.

That doesn't help her hit it hard, and it increases the time that it takes to get to the ball. Wrapping and pulling the bat will cause you to be unable to catch up to most fastballs, especially those on the inner half of the plate.

The bat head needs to be above your head. Your back elbow should be close to horizontal, the top hand palm should be facing the pitcher.

Her posture is bad, and her lower half isn't right. She reaches out with her front leg, lands and then turns. She should push the front foot out using the rear hip, and be turning the hips AS the front foot accepts weight.

Below is a good stance.

softball9.jpg

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Thanks jbooth

That is Casey after she stepped out to toe touch and separated. Weight on inside of back leg 60/40 weight balance.
60 back in case of change up.

Butt stuck out

Bent at waist
Good bat angle

SL

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
The Englishbey "tilt swing" follows the Nyman PCR method and is a variant of what Candrea refers to as a "gate" swing. It is a pattern that can work in fast pitch, but is different from the HLBB swing and different from overhand throw.. the fundamentals should not be mixed or learning will be degraded.

The Nyman model involves tangential pull of the knob with potential for hooking the handpath which causes additonal acceleration via what Nyman described (setpro.com forum/ebooks) as "momentum/inertia transformer step up".

In golf this has been called "parametric acceleration", see Miura:

Parametric acceleration – the effect of inward pull of the golf club at impact stage - Miura - 2001 - Sports Engineering - Wiley Online Library

This mechanical model lacks the early batspeed/late adjustability of the MLBB pattern optimized for MLB pitching vs woodbat hitting.

If you go for the tilt/gate swing, do not try to emulate the movements of MLB elite hitters in detail since this will mix patterns to the detriment of both.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Well,I am unable to get my DD posture correct or where to simply put a white rag on a tee Do you think I'm going to be able to follow the Englishbey ''Tilt swing"', Nyman PCR or variant of what Candrea refers to as a "gate" swing.I now know I wrongly posted my DD swing on the wrong thread.I should have post on the Hitting practical thread. I should have never posted on DFP forum in the first place.I knew it ,but I now know I had no business of posting on this site.I have been on this site for for awhile reading and re-reading and studying videos trying to learn all I can.I don't have the money nor the flexability in our family schedule to be able to afford to send my DD to a hitting coach.So I guess she gets what we paid for.I am sorry for that more than anyone will every know.I will continue to read,because I truely believe there are alot of very knowledgeable people who do know hitting on this site.Maybe I did something wrong or posted something wrong in trying to be helpfully I don't know? I have learned a lot and hope that is enough to help my DD Laura continue to play.I thank anyone who has every posted,becauase I have and will continue to learn.Again I am sorry for posting this.I will go back to lurking.

Oct 25, 2009
Well,I am unable to get my DD posture correct or where to simply put a white rag on a tee Do you think I'm going to be able to follow the Englishbey ''Tilt swing"', Nyman PCR or variant of what Candrea refers to as a "gate" swing.I now know I wrongly posted my DD swing on the wrong thread.I should have post on the Hitting practical thread. I should have never posted on DFP forum in the first place.I knew it ,but I now know I had no business of posting on this site.I have been on this site for for awhile reading and re-reading and studying videos trying to learn all I can.I don't have the money nor the flexability in our family schedule to be able to afford to send my DD to a hitting coach.So I guess she gets what we paid for.I am sorry for that more than anyone will every know.I will continue to read,because I truely believe there are alot of very knowledgeable people who do know hitting on this site.Maybe I did something wrong or posted something wrong in trying to be helpfully I don't know? I have learned a lot and hope that is enough to help my DD Laura continue to play.I thank anyone who has every posted,becauase I have and will continue to learn.Again I am sorry for posting this.I will go back to lurking.

I understand your frustration. I believe it is the result of too many coaches so to speak.

My advice is to select one or two of those who are attempting to help and follow only their advice or their explanations of what another poster might be saying.

One vital part in my opinion is that you have to feel it for yourself as you try to pass it on to your DD. It might also help if she tries to teach you what is being posted. Seriously.

So, before giving up, choose one or two posters to follow and keep trying. You don't have to id whose advice you are following by the way; not important. If it was me I'd be following wellphyt and jbooth. FFS and others are great also so don't ignore them; but they tend to be more technical. Tom is great also; if you have a PhD in engineering. :)

Let your DD drive a while. You be the student.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Dont get frustrated.

Too many opinions, hard to sort it all out. I would probably go to your first posts. Take a couple of opinions by posters you believe in and ignore the rest.

If you have a few people saying the same correction then, be a good place to start.

Good Luck.

I will step out of it. PM me if you want help in the future.

SL

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Softballphreak gave some excellent advice IMO when he wrote “One vital part in my opinion is that you have to feel it for yourself as you try to pass it on to your DD.”

A couple examples …

Your daughter swings with a white rag on the tee. Had you taken this for a test drive first then you probably would have screened out that advice.

Your daughter uses a bobbing for apples like setup sequence (below) … had you taken this for a test drive first then you may have given this a second thought as well.

keu1c4.gif

You are to be applauded for trying these things out … that puts you well ahead of many that simply aren't putting in the time you are ..... but Softballphreak is right on the money when he recommends testing this out on yourself first. He's basically suggesting that you perform more screening prior to having your daughter work with things.

The Hanson Prinicple is a big help in terms of screening out well-intended, yet not overly helpful advice. Picking up a bat and going through the process … including facing fast pitching … is also a good filter.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Rdbass

I am going to try hard to make some video this week why Casey is on spring break.

Casey and I will make one just for Laura. On tilt and why you dont want a level swing

SL

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd