Only being used as a Pinch Runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
Hey DFP 🙂
Got Comments about players being used as only pinch runners?!

Seeing more players on rosters who can hit but apparently aren't able to run for themselves (holy mackerel)
Seeing Pinch Runners used more.

Any thoughts on if you think colleges are going to start targeting picking up super Speedy runners and that's why they get picked up? Don't think I've ever heard of a player in softball that got picked up only for their speed and wasn't used anywhere else on the field.
Hmmm 🤔

Still it looks like the bottom of the roster is filling in running for their teammates who get to play. Yeah yeah running is being in the game sure....but...🤷‍♀️

May 27, 2013
Hey DFP 🙂

Any thoughts on if you think colleges are going to start targeting picking up super Speedy runners and that's why they get picked up? Don't think I've ever heard of a player in softball that got picked up only for their speed and wasn't used anywhere else on the field.
Hmmm 🤔
I think this is one of the main reasons that some D1 colleges have open tryouts in the fall on campus. They are looking to find those speedy kids who like softball and understand the game but weren’t good enough (hitting or defensively) to get recruited to play D1. They will pick them up and use them as PR.

While I don’t really care either way if a PR is used or not I personally feel it takes some athleticism out of the game for the hitters/defense if a coach is looking for mashers only who can be supplemented by PR.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
How many times a game can a coach sub in and out a player? Twice?
While I have seen the use of PR, I am amazed how fast some of those bigger, thicker players run bases.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I wish our HS team would roster a track sprinter who has softball experience for playoff late game PR situations. Maybe come back to bite, though if they're more likely to make a mistake on the bases.

Apr 14, 2022
Want to say the best is a speedy smart baserunner, and many players possess both. However, being heady is number 1. Sometimes fast runners try or are sent for an extra base and get thrown out. Difference between fastest and slow can be made up for by things like seeing a ball is going to get down, effective slide, etc.
Best base runners imo pick up a decent amount of extra bases and almost never get out. Some of the worst pick up extra bases but get thrown out a lot with coaches patting them on the back saying good hustle as they go into the dugout.

May 29, 2015
I imagine it is also an opportunity for a coach to involve a player who otherwise may not get involved in games, especially at the college level with deep rosters. If I was the player, on one hand being on the team may be a lot of work for that little reward. On the other hand, so many of those teams look as if they are having so much fun I would just want to be a part of hanging out on the bench.

At the HS and MS levels, particularly at small schools with issues meeting roster numbers, I have always questioned why coaches don't bring in a couple of track kids and teach them to run bases. Pinch runners are limited, but as a courtesy runner? They could be a valuable asset. Also, yes, in a real bind, you can throw a glove on them and stick them in the outfield. Heck, maybe they even decide they like it and then come to play! (Here in Illinois, the problem we run into is that track and softball are the same season.)

I say that as a parent who watched TWO of his daughter's four high school seasons get cut short because of a coach who ran kids off (in a multitude of ways) and then they did not have enough players when an injury or two happened. One year they forfeited the last 1/4th of their season and did not get to play. Then next time it was the last 1/3rd of the season. Was not happy.

(Felt the need to edit and underscore the importance of TEACHING them to run bases, not just throwing them out there. Thank you for the nudge, @daywalkerdad !)

Jan 25, 2022
I wish our HS team would roster a track sprinter who has softball experience for playoff late game PR situations. Maybe come back to bite, though if they're more likely to make a mistake on the bases.

We have a high level hurdles kid. Can't beat her to 1B. She was used almost exclusively as a base runner last season. Now she's playing LF, and covers an absurd amount of ground.

If she could hit she would be a terror. One of those kids you know would be on scholarship somewhere if they hadn't started playing as a junior.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles