Daughters new glove question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Is that the method where he dunks the ball in a bucket of water and beats the snot out of it? If so, keep in mind he does that for pro ball players who don't need their gloves to last. They need it broken in quickly and don't care about longevity.
He doesn't dunk the glove in water, pours about a cup of hot water over the glove with the hand stall pointed down. There is a ton of info on this procedure.. Water definitely doesn't hurt leather.

FWIW, I've used his way of doing it on all of DD's gloves and 2 of mine and some team mates of DD. I also rebuild and relace gloves for those that need it, I'm not an expert but do have experience with gloves. In my observations, it causes no longevity problems. Just my $0.02

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
He doesn't dunk the glove in water, pours about a cup of hot water over the glove with the hand stall pointed down. There is a ton of info on this procedure.. Water definitely doesn't hurt leather.

FWIW, I've used his way of doing it on all of DD's gloves and 2 of mine and some team mates of DD. I also rebuild and relace gloves for those that need it, I'm not an expert but do have experience with gloves. In my observations, it causes no longevity problems. Just my $0.02
Rous once described this to me as “de-linking” the leather fibers, once the glove leather cooled and dried it will go back to it’s original state. But in the meantime while it’s hot and wet that’s the time to do your pounding! ;)

Last edited:
May 21, 2014
ok, so might as well throw some advice out there.

The leather isn't that stiff, it's the "glue" or palm adhesive that's on the inside that makes this process difficult. You have 2 choices really...
1. open the glove and remove it. You will find this will get the glove to a 90% level of broken in. Makes the rest of the process that much easier. It also decouples the layers of leather so they will actually function better. It will also decrease the potential for pocket creases significantly.
2. use some form of controlled heat to "heat up" the adhesive so it will spread out all over the indside of the glove. It will have a tendency to form "ridges" which makes it feel "broken in". It will also push into the felt liners in the finger stalls. But, by using controlled heat (warm water, low setting on a dryer, on the dash of your car in the summer, etc) and pushing the adhesive around you will get it to a broken in state.

So you can play catch and wrap it and all of those things will help, but all that really is doing is mechanically moving the glue. The other part of the glove that really gives it structure are the laces. White factory laces like the ones in this glove are not typically very stiff, but it's something to check. Conditioner focused on the laces can help soften them without overdoing it all over the glove. You would be surprised when you take a glove apart just how soft the leather is, even in a high end "stiff" glove. There are other small tricks you can do to....thin out the felt in the heel or even making slices in it will help that part flex better.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
.... It also decouples the layers of leather so they will actually function better. It will also decrease the potential for pocket creases significantly....
Hmm, that is exactly the opposite of what pocket adhesive is supposed to do. The adhesive keeps pocket creases from forming by adhering the leather to the felt pad.

Jan 16, 2020
What kind / model HOH?

Sounds like you’re already off to a busy start, just play catch, lots of catch. Is she playing Fall ball? If so have her use it in practice.

Remember, gloves don’t have to be as loose as most (all) 11 year old girls think in their minds it should be!

As an outfielder is she wearing it TIP? That’ll eliminate half of the break-in right there just in the grip.
@ Annasdad suggested TIP to me a few years ago. After 1 practice my DD hasn't ever switched back, even the few times she played 3rd. Definitely made a big difference with her. I recommend it to all outfielders.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Once you have started to break in the glove somewhat well I highly recommend spending a couple of rounds in a batting cage catching balls at the highest speed they offer. We have a machine at home so we crank it up to 70mph and my daughter loads ball after ball for me to catch. Aside from using a ball mallet to form a nice deep pocket, nothing helps to deepen a pocket like catching bullets over and over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles