Daughters new glove question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Got my Center fielder a new Heart of the Hide 12.5...Will NOT steam this beauty! Took Nokona glove conditioner and worked it in to soften a bit before hand...then had a qualified glove guy beat it and work pocket, heal and closing area. Outside of continuing to roll the heal, rock it back & forth, play catch, any solid idea how I can work it without messing it up for closing better? Palm area is still pretty stiff, can you rock/roll that are like the heal, or can that cause other issues?

She is 11 now, hoping to switch over to it in January full time, as her Mizuno glove fingers are just hanging on support wise. Any ideas or just keep on keeping on?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
What kind / model HOH?

Sounds like you’re already off to a busy start, just play catch, lots of catch. Is she playing Fall ball? If so have her use it in practice.

Remember, gloves don’t have to be as loose as most (all) 11 year old girls think in their minds it should be!

As an outfielder is she wearing it TIP? That’ll eliminate half of the break-in right there just in the grip.

Feb 17, 2015
normal IL

best 40$you will spend no chemicals or steam. Mason is top notch
You will get the glove back at 80% broken in and a tutorial on how to finish the break in process. Sent everyone of DD's gloves to him from Nakonas, A2000 and heart of the hide know one better

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina

best 40$you will spend no chemicals or steam. Mason is top notch
You will get the glove back at 80% broken in and a tutorial on how to finish the break in process. Sent everyone of DD's gloves to him from Nakonas, A2000 and heart of the hide know one better
The reason I asked him what kind of HOH....if it's a fastpitch glove (which it probably is) and not a true HOH baseball glove, then it's made out of soft Horween Featherlite leather (not true C55 Horween glove leather, huge difference). If it is Featherlite then it's already 70/80% broken in from the factory. Surely we can figure out the other 20/30% on our own?

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
What kind / model HOH?

Sounds like you’re already off to a busy start, just play catch, lots of catch. Is she playing Fall ball? If so have her use it in practice.

Remember, gloves don’t have to be as loose as most (all) 11 year old girls think in their minds it should be!

As an outfielder is she wearing it TIP? That’ll eliminate half of the break-in right there just in the grip.
Pics for reference.

Yes fall ball now for another month and a half, ball still likes to jump out on back hands and here and there, so haven't fully switched over to it. Mostly playing catch and throwing hard to her :cool:

"As an outfielder is she wearing it TIP?" Two In Pinky? Clarify...Sorry maybe I'm just in idiot Friday mode??

Attachments

• Heart1.jpg
    Heart1.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Heart.jpg
    Heart.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
May 27, 2022
1. Keep a ball in it and a rubber band around it when not at practice!!!

2. Play catch with a fast/hard thrower as much as possible. I could loan my daughter to you! ;)

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Oh, I bring the heat. That's essentially what we are doing. Pocket is forming well, still a hard squeeze palm wise on back hand catches, and if it's off the sweet spot currently. :cool:

Also wanting input on flaring glove fingers? Damn, too much deep diving here.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
"As an outfielder is she wearing it TIP?" Two In Pinky? Clarify...Sorry maybe I'm just in idiot Friday mode??
Yep, two-in-the-pinky. My DD might....might have played 5 innings total in the OF in all her days of church, rec, travel, school, and college ball. But if she was ever an outfielder, she would have worn a Six-Finger trap glove TIP with her index finger kept inside! That's the perfect outfielder setup....to me!

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Got my Center fielder a new Heart of the Hide 12.5...Will NOT steam this beauty! Took Nokona glove conditioner and worked it in to soften a bit before hand...then had a qualified glove guy beat it and work pocket, heal and closing area. Outside of continuing to roll the heal, rock it back & forth, play catch, any solid idea how I can work it without messing it up for closing better? Palm area is still pretty stiff, can you rock/roll that are like the heal, or can that cause other issues?

She is 11 now, hoping to switch over to it in January full time, as her Mizuno glove fingers are just hanging on support wise. Any ideas or just keep on keeping on?
Be careful with the Nokona glove conditioner, that stuff is heavy. I've seen more than a couple gloves ruined by using too much of it trying to get the glove to break in faster.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414