Newbie composite question and real feedback on new bat...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I will have her continue to use it and see next week what it looks like and then warranty it out probably. Under the thought process it hasn't even been 3 weeks, to hopefully have the new replacement keep another warranty. I'll call first and play it by ear, if that's the vibe I get. I know with a hot bat comes a company pushing the edges with their tech, I really think it comes down to they know their true failure rate for launching rockets isn't as tight as they want it to be, so they take care of their customers...Irritated a bit, hell yes. But I am trusting they handle it properly. Just surprised my 10 year old is such a monster. LMAO

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I don't know of many newer composite bats that really need much "breaking in". DD has a 2017 LXT Hyper that I bought in good used condition plus a newer Demarini. Both have literally thousands of swings on them from a fully grown hittin'-over-the-fence 17-18 yo. She used them for Tee, soft-toss, front toss, and hundreds of at-bats. The only place we didn't use them is in a cage with a machine throwing dimple balls. Neither bat shows anything more than hit marks, and those mostly clean off with Windex. I'm stunned that a 10yo's bat shows that kind of wear / damage after so little use.
I was as well. I noticed two small pant lines after about 150 hits in two or three places, nothing big. Then looked at it after our hitting practice last night with her instructor...That's when I noticed things had jumped up a notch. Certainly crazy, especially when we were being super safe as well as using really nice leather softballs. Wasn't going to hit anything else with it.

May 6, 2015
DDs 2020 ghost got some faint cracks, was time to move up anyway, got the GA, seen same thing.

just for fun, I grabbed her 2020, and swung it full bore against corner of a dumpster (next door was having rennovations done) half a dozen times, could not see a differeence after that.

faint cracks do not seem to be a reliable indicator. when it is time to go, it will go. I would use it right up until about 30 days before warranty expiration, or until it does not seem to have pop anymore, then return it.

if you do get a warranty replacement, they warranty the replacment, but only from origiinal date of purchase. so wait, until right before, and then get the new one. budget a new bat every year, this way if it fails just out of warranty, then you can replace it. and find a composite backup as well, we got a used but in fair condition demarini as a backup. this is used for heavy balls, dimples, cold weather, etc.

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
I know I am in the minority here but I see these pictures of bats breaking and of broken ones and all I see is ball marks all the way down the throat almost to the handle, and way off the end. If you are not using the barrel what do you expect to happen?? Get a sweet spot bat, camwood or the like and work off the tee. just my opinion though. :)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I know I am in the minority here but I see these pictures of bats breaking and of broken ones and all I see is ball marks all the way down the throat almost to the handle, and way off the end. If you are not using the barrel what do you expect to happen?? Get a sweet spot bat, camwood or the like and work off the tee. just my opinion though. :)

Expecting hitters to only make contact on the sweetspot is pretty unrealistic.

May 21, 2018
Expecting hitters to only make contact on the sweetspot is pretty unrealistic.
Especially since half the purpose of all these pitching lessons we go to is to is to make sure the batter doesn't hit the ball on the sweetspot.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
First of all, most new bats DO NOT require 500 hits to break in...no idea where you got that info or why. And I dont see anything
alarming besides some paint cracks and a paint seam. Relax and just hit the thing. Also why i said, i would bat a huge majority
of bats sent back are paint and perfectly fine.

The Ghost are pretty good asap. Couple swings and your gtg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802